It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How strong is the human sense of smell?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I have had two interesting smell incidents in my life.

This morning I was very sound asleep, having a terrible dream. All of a sudden, I smell the most wonderful smell I have ever smelled in my life,
flowerish, lollipop, fruitish smell, it is hard to explain, but it was the most beautiful lovely smell, I woke up instantly and there was my daughter looking at me! I wonder if my subconscience picked up on her and helped me wake from my awful dream. She wasn't wearing perfume and once I woke the smell was gone!

Many years earlier, I had just given birth. My sister bought a kids meal from Mcdonalds. I was ready to vomit instantly due to the checmical smell. It was like the worst most intense blacktop tar, petroleum smell. It was the plastic baggie and toy in the meal. My sense of smell was heightened and I could immediately pick up those toxic fumes. Shampoo was the same way. There were only two shampoos that didn't smell like poison at that time. My ultra sense of smell went away really quickly. In a week or so, but it really got me wondering about some of those products. By the way, the one shampoo that didn't have a chemical smell was Burts Bees!

I wonder if we are so overexposed to fragrance that we have lost our natural gift. It's like when you go on vacation and you come back and your house smells different. When you live there you can't smell it, but when you are away from it enough it is very evident. I find that a lot of people are at the point where they have no sense of smell, which also goes a long with no sense of taste. Is it the food we are eating, the chemicals all around us, the cigarettes, the drugs, the medicine? I feel like something very unnatural is going on.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
I have had two interesting smell incidents in my life.

This morning I was very sound asleep, having a terrible dream. All of a sudden, I smell the most wonderful smell I have ever smelled in my life,
flowerish, lollipop, fruitish smell, it is hard to explain, but it was the most beautiful lovely smell, I woke up instantly and there was my daughter looking at me! I wonder if my subconscience picked up on her and helped me wake from my awful dream. She wasn't wearing perfume and once I woke the smell was gone!

Many years earlier, I had just given birth. My sister bought a kids meal from Mcdonalds. I was ready to vomit instantly due to the checmical smell. It was like the worst most intense blacktop tar, petroleum smell. It was the plastic baggie and toy in the meal. My sense of smell was heightened and I could immediately pick up those toxic fumes. Shampoo was the same way. There were only two shampoos that didn't smell like poison at that time. My ultra sense of smell went away really quickly. In a week or so, but it really got me wondering about some of those products. By the way, the one shampoo that didn't have a chemical smell was Burts Bees!

I wonder if we are so overexposed to fragrance that we have lost our natural gift. It's like when you go on vacation and you come back and your house smells different. When you live there you can't smell it, but when you are away from it enough it is very evident. I find that a lot of people are at the point where they have no sense of smell, which also goes a long with no sense of taste. Is it the food we are eating, the chemicals all around us, the cigarettes, the drugs, the medicine? I feel like something very unnatural is going on.

We tend to tune out smells over time. I know when I get far out of the city into more rural areas, everything smells different. The air is more crisp and you pick up more floral and plant smells. However, in the city, I can't smell anything except that exhaust/hot cement smell.

Cigarette smoke really irritates me. I can pick it up from very far away. Even just smoker getting on an elevator with me can make my nose run with irritation from the smoke smell on their clothing.

In general, I think our senses are overloaded with all the noise and environmental pollution from urban living.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I do not know how to explain what happened this morning, but the event that happened when you had just given birth, might be related to how pregnancy and childbirth can effect some mothers. Its possible that your senses were heightened as some sort of natural response to having recently given birth, the better to protect yourself and your young in the early, vulnerable stages immediately after the birthing.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   
My Aunt had stayed with our family in the 60's and she had an olfactory sense it seemed as acute as a bloodhound. She was always questioning and aware of smells that no one around her could sense. She wasn't an attention seeker or drama type, just someone 'cursed' with Acute Olfactory senses. My Mom was a keen housekeeper, so there was no likelihood of neglect causing the smells that distressed my Aunt.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   

It sounds like it wasn't a physical sense of smell. But another type of sense, like an astral sense of smell or something. Your real senses, when not confined to the body, are a million fold better.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I have smoked since the age of 8 but the times i have stopped my sense of smell went of the charts and i started again because i could not handle the stink of everything , i think i was one of those kids with crazy senses hearing ,eyesight took me a good 45 years + to figure that out and like you after a recent stint in hospital i noticed on my way to the ambulance what a stink was coming from down the hall 30+ away .

Noticed one time a jar of curry sauce [good brand uk] that i bought , i used half a jar and put it in the fridge after 3 days i opened it to use the rest and the smell that greeted me was a smell worse than any paint shop , the nail varnish remover women use is a no 7 i am used to no 20 the top and can stick it right to my nose , have worked in liquid plastic atmospheres without breathing apparatus , the smell of that jar made me reel back and wonder how gun wash got there , never looked at the stuff again
edit on 20/11/2017 by stonerwilliam because: the above makes total sense when you are stoned

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

I think it might be something that runs in the family. My mother could smell if a dish was salty or not. I've never figured that one out! Unfortunately for me, when I normally have above average sense of smell it is something bad.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
The olfactory sensors in the nose are actually pretty good at detecting smells, but most people consume that either block the signal or dampen the receptor. To smell more you should also consume more zinc foods, the taste and smell receptors actually somehow require zinc. When you are sick, the zinc is used by the immune system and it deprives the receptors of zinc so you can't smell or taste well. When you eat a bunch of carbs, the zinc is utilized by the cells that make insulin, so again your sense of smell and your immune system too is taxed, unless you eat a lot of zinc foods or a supplement. We use cold-eeze and some organic lozenger with zinc if we notice our sense of smell and taste is waning, then we do not get so sick.

My multimineral contains about fifty percent of the zinc needed per day, I do not eat a lot of meat anymore and I do not eat a lot of shrimp or oysters and that sort of stuff, they are a treat not a stable. Most livestock is fed zinc supplements, people thinking we do not need supplements are mistaken, we didn't when we ate canned food, the zinc coating is no longer in cans, now there is only plastic lining them. This means that people are more prone to disease from a zinc deficiency. The people weren't so sick back in the sixties and seventies, this is one of the reasons why, they got their daily zinc from eating spaghettios.

Did you eat a food high in zinc the night before OP?

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   

I've found that when I have really bad flu my sense of smell for certain things increases. Which is weird because for the most part my sinuses are all blocked and smell is barely possible.

Vinegar is the big one, I'll always remember when I was a kid and had the flu bad and the doctors came out a few times, my mother must have only just put vinegar on her meal on the other side of the house and I could smell it, I instantly began vomiting.

Last time I was really ill I could smell vinegar from 10 foot away, the smell is hard to describe. It's almost like how oxidised red wine tastes but stronger and it's overpowering, feels like it's burning you lungs.

The days leading up to the last time I experienced it was interesting too, I could smell vinegar in wine depending on how long it was exposed.

You mention that plastic-like smell, is it an almost sulfur smell crossed with burnt rubber?

Anyways at a guess I'd say our ability to smell is greatly enhanced at times of great stress and/or suffering. I know smelling acid or vinegar is a sign of worse to come as every time I've experienced it I've became very poorly.

We do get used to smells though, the first thing I notice when travelling long distances is the smell of the land, it's like a background note we get used to quickly. Rivers are good for noticing this... Or going to the coast, you tend to hit a wall where you can smell and taste the sea but within 20-30 minutes you don't even notice the smell.

. I find that a lot of people are at the point where they have no sense of smell, which also goes a long with no sense of taste. Is it the food we are eating, the chemicals all around us, the cigarettes, the drugs, the medicine? I feel like something very unnatural is going on.

Our senses are bombarded with information, most of it is self-inflicted. I mean, when everything we see is painted by humans, every thing we taste flavoured by humans and everything we hear is produced by humans it would make sense that our sense are abused.

We're always appealing to the senses.

We want brighter, tastier and louder. Normal is boring and old.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

The zinc thing is interesting.

What do you make of my heightened sense of smell regarding vinegar when I've been really ill?

I've never really made heads nor tails over it.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990

The zinc thing is interesting.

What do you make of my heightened sense of smell regarding vinegar when I've been really ill?

I've never really made heads nor tails over it.

I don't know, when you are sick, you loose your sense of smell, I explained that above. But why vinegar would actually seem to be stronger smelling I do not know. It may not utilize the same receptors as many other odors do or something like that. Maybe since you can't smell other things as well, that smell becomes more dominant.

Who knows. I spent an hour researching why I some times get lightheaded when I have a lot of gas from eating certain things. This is probably the tenth time I did that research, this time was no different, the medical industry knows it happens but do not know what actually causes it. Not much research on that, but one doctor said that the intestines are not supposed to let gas through, but it is possible sometimes they do and that can lead to a toxic gas going into the blood then into the head. I don't mind when people say they don't know but offer a possible reason for things. I hate when they don't know and say they do know and give you suggestions or special treatments that don't work. I never found out what causes that, it has been happening as far back as I can remember, I remember it happening when I was in school or at picnics. any beans or chili makes it more of a concern but it does not always happen. I have tried to figure it out for about five years now, checking when I have a little spell. It gives me incentive to check again. Evidently this is more of a problem in Women, no wonder they do not pig out on pork and beans so much, it is not just the smell for some people.

Why sometimes and not others, that is really a subject that needs extended research. It is probably a reaction between two or more things.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I have to be careful with my sense of smell - sometimes it can get my in trouble.

There's a few scents that actually make me really angry. One is fox lure. I have no idea why but it just sets me on edge and I'm ready for a fight.

The other is Rosemary - I could bathe in that scent. It's so overpoweringly lovely I tend to get a little, well, TMI - frisky.

Great Thread S&F!

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
All I know is if you think you can't smell just ride a motorcycle. You'll find out really quick how good you can smell. Esp bad things. Ahh one of the joys of riding and the hidden secret that you just can't appreciate while riding in a car. lol

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I ride. It is pretty eye opening how bad the fumes are from cars in heavy traffic. I've been stuck in rush hour on a highway and seems like you can choke from the fumes.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

It must be bad, I used to commute in Chicago during rush hour. I could smell the fumes in my car with the windows closed. I can't even imagine on a motorcycle. The worst is driving near a chicken farm (gag!)

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Try down here near some swampy areas or drainage ponds.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: jaynkeel

I lived in Florida for a few years, yes I remember that smell. I also thought that Florida had some of the most wonderful smelling trees! Magnolias, Camillias, the orange groves. I could totally still smell the scent of the Orange groves in January. It was 90 degrees in January!

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   

It's overpowering and seemingly only when I've had bad cases of the flu, I once had pretty bad case of bronchitis as a kid that lasted 4-6 weeks. It was probably the worst infection I ever had and I didn't experience it once.

Thanks for the post, you've filled me in on issues of the body a few times, you're a wealth of knowledge when it comes to such things

As for the gas thing, I've noticed over the last few years I can get bloated after pairing certain things. Dark beers and the likes of lamb (I don't eat pork much) it doesn't happen often but I have experienced a light-headedness. I always put it down to raised blood pressure due to being bloated.

Genuinely don't know if that makes sense but that's what it felt like at the time. I'm not even sure if it's the same thing... I don't mind the bloating or anything just that I often end up with a headache, which like the rest of my body at the time, felt like it was under added pressure.

The human body is a weird thing, it's usually a combination of a few things that cause undesirable outcomes but with that being said not all of us treat it with the proper respect and nourishment it deserves.

I'm definitely guilty in that regards. We hit a wall at some point in our lives when the body gets sick of the abuse, something gives. When that happened to me I became allergic to shellfish which is sad in itself if you love jumbo prawns
but for me it also meant a hyper sensitivity to other things too, the sun being one of them.

Which again is a shame, I look good with a tan.
edit on 20-11-2017 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Many pregnant women experience a heightened sense of smell and taste. It's to help the mother ensure she doesn't eat rotten or poisonous foods, or get exposed to noxious gasses or other toxins, etc that might harm her and the unborn child.

I've grown increasingly intolerant of strong smells as I've aged, which means many objects I used to like are now sources of illness or irritation. Garlic never used to bother me. Now, it smells like burning rubber to me and I start feeling nauseous. Going to Olive Garden is a big ol' nope. Not happening.

Cig smoke now makes me start coughing and my eyes burn despite spending nearly my entire life around chain smokers in my family.

Anyone in the general area wearing those obnoxiously strong Axe colognes, shampoos or soaps will make me veer away as quick as possible. The scent is too strong and musky making my stomach burn and churn.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990

It's overpowering and seemingly only when I've had bad cases of the flu, I once had pretty bad case of bronchitis as a kid that lasted 4-6 weeks. It was probably the worst infection I ever had and I didn't experience it once.

Thanks for the post, you've filled me in on issues of the body a few times, you're a wealth of knowledge when it comes to such things

As for the gas thing, I've noticed over the last few years I can get bloated after pairing certain things. Dark beers and the likes of lamb (I don't eat pork much) it doesn't happen often but I have experienced a light-headedness. I always put it down to raised blood pressure due to being bloated.

Genuinely don't know if that makes sense but that's what it felt like at the time. I'm not even sure if it's the same thing... I don't mind the bloating or anything just that I often end up with a headache, which like the rest of my body at the time, felt like it was under added pressure.

The human body is a weird thing, it's usually a combination of a few things that cause undesirable outcomes but with that being said not all of us treat it with the proper respect and nourishment it deserves.

I'm definitely guilty in that regards. We hit a wall at some point in our lives when the body gets sick of the abuse, something gives. When that happened to me I became allergic to shellfish which is sad in itself if you love jumbo prawns
but for me it also meant a hyper sensitivity to other things too, the sun being one of them.

Which again is a shame, I look good with a tan.

If you drink quite a bit of orange juice or lemonaide, you shouldn't go out in the sun. They contain Limonine which causes you to burn in the sun. Remember, some citrus drinks contain that chemistry. Lime and grapefruit also contain it.

Another thing is celery. It contains a couple of chemicals that sensitize you to the sun. The parsley family contains these chemicals. The chemicals are anticancer by stimulating apoptosis of fast growing cells, but when a cell is damaged by the sun, it causes an increase in cell growth to repair the cells. This increase means they absorb more of the two chemicals and it stops the anti-apoptosis protective factor of the cells. Which means they quickly self destruct. So just stay out of the sun for a day after eating celery or parsley, you will have more sunburn and maybe some peeling occur. It is a good anti-cancer chemistry for the body. Apigenin is one of the chemicals, the other starts with an E if I remember right. I can't remember all those names but can memorize sequences and practices and stuff like that pretty well. These anticancer chemistries are in oregano and cilantro too. They are all part of the parsley family.

I don't know if the parsley family includes artichokes, they also contain some of these chemistries. Here is an article that talks about these properties. www.sciencedaily.com... You may not get enough anticancer properties to kill full blown pancreatic or other cancers from eating this kind of food, but eating it moderately on a regular basis can kill newly forming cancer, preventing it from taking hold. Parsley leaves are way stronger than the stocks of celery, and the chemicals are heat stable, adding parsley or celery to soups still works. It is better to kill the cancer when it is tiny than to let it grow big and need radiation and chemo.
edit on 20-11-2017 by rickymouse because: wall of text

new topics

top topics

join