It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Voter ID Laws Racist?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye
HOWEVER, if it's not the law in some/most of the instances in that graphic, if businesses are implementing policies designed to discriminate based on race, then the SCOTUS has found it is a civil rights violation. Doesn't matter if it's 'business policy' or 'law.'

Thank you!

You just cracked the code of the topic!

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Why would anyone support such a tyrannical form of government as democracy..?

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Requiring an ID to vote is not racist in itself, but it certainly would affect some citizens more than others.

It's 2017...we do not have anything to prevent negative impact with a voter ID program?

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

What about the rest of that list?

What about the topic?

Is it racist to require ID to vote?

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   
i'm white, but here's my voter ID experience.

when i lived in virginia, i had to get an ID to vote. the closest place to get an ID was a two-hour round trip by car. there was not a public transportation option to reach this place. it was also only open during normal monday-friday business hours.

i was fortunate to both have the transportation available to be able to go, and also to be able to make the time to do it. when i got there, i was not required to present any other identification to get this card -- i just had to fill out a form.

please tell me, what amount of security does this bring to the voting process if i didn't have to provide any other form of ID?

additionally, the burden of both transportation and free time during normal working hours are burdens that fall disproportionately on poor citizens. because of the economic fact that more of our black citizens live in poverty, this disproportionately affects our black citizens as well. therefore, yes, it is racist both in practice and in intent.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

The fallacies. That is not the exact method anyone wants it though...nice copy/paste btw

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ksiezyc

The fallacies. That is not the exact method anyone wants it though...nice copy/paste btw

i don't know what the rest of your post means, but yes... my comment/experience seemed relevant to both threads. it that against the T&C or are you just being rude for fun?

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Prescriptions? Again, rare in my experience unless it's something commonly abused. It's also rare to be asked for a photo ID when using a credit card and I'm not aware of any laws which require it. Are you?

Kind of a sad, bull# list really.

Well credit cards now have you picture on many... It is 2017 and there is a plethora of new electronic scams/ abuses going on and you suggest a paper card with your SS on it is still all good...lol

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   

English isn't your primary language. Let me explain to you in a simpler manner. No one is saying that is the goal when we say we want voter id laws.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   

English isn't your primary language. Let me explain to you in a simpler manner. No one is saying that is the goal when we say we want voter id laws.

it is my primary language, thanks. it's not my fault if you're not being clear.

no one is saying what isn't the goal?

and if it isn't the goal but it is what occurs, which is more important -- your lofty ideal or what is really happening?

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Being very clear. Perhaps read more slowly. You assume there can't be a plan for how it will be..Dear God..

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

when i lived in virginia, i had to get an ID to t vote. the closest place to get an ID was a two-hour round trip by car. there was not a public transportation option to reach this place. it was also only open during normal monday-friday business hours.

Ok make it easier, more accessible, get ground roots to help...so many ways...Free to the poor etc...

edit on 19-11-2017 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
Ok make it easier, more accessible, get ground roots to help...so many ways...Free to the poor etc...

that would be great! would you like to donate to such an endeavor? no?

i guess people who care will have to continue coming up with solutions from their own pockets to make up for government roadblocks taking away our rights. seems like a good system.

or we could also not elect people who pass ineffective laws to help them get elected again?

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Being very clear. Perhaps read more slowly. You assume there can't be a plan for how it will be..Dear God..

wow. i wish i could say i understand you but i feel like you're not trying very hard. sorry.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

originally posted by: MotherMayEye
HOWEVER, if it's not the law in some/most of the instances in that graphic, if businesses are implementing policies designed to discriminate based on race, then the SCOTUS has found it is a civil rights violation. Doesn't matter if it's 'business policy' or 'law.'

Thank you!

You just cracked the code of the topic!

Think about it. It would surely be illegal,by now, for businesses to ask for ID if was racially discriminatory.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Please go back and learn English....

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Taxes are discriminatory against working Americans. Why do only Americans have to pay our countrys taxes? Why not a Canadian homeless man?

Doctors are insensitive towards the stigma sick people have on them. Why do only sick people have to undergo treatment?

Also, why do only women get to go see a gynecologist?

If you cant answer these questions then you cant tell me that voting ID laws are not racist. Specifically anti black. Not against any other race, just balck people.

edit on 11 19 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Voter ID laws are not racist at all. Nobody really has any say so into who is on that ballot in big elections like for president or for congressmen, we just get to choose from who they pick to run. The third party people have little chance of getting in unless they back one party or another so they can collect votes from disgruntled people who see their parties candidate as bad.

You should present an ID when voting, it keeps things legit so people can not vote ten times. I know that happens, so does someone voting for dead people. My mother still gets mail from the government and insurance companies, she still gets voter stuff in our mail and she has been dead for probably nine or ten years now. Everything was done right, but for some reason there is a flaw in the system where death information does not get sent to voting places. I think this is actually intentional myself, I know quite a few people who say they also get stuff for dead relatives even though it was supposed to have been taken care of. My uncle got a renewal form for his drivers license four years after he died, it was not even restricted like it was when he was alive. We think he did that from beyond, he hated that he could not drive at night anymore because he mentioned that his hip was bothering him and he had a hard time reading the forms when he went to the license bureau.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

My parents got things for years finally my sister changed the address to the town hall and let them deal with it. That's where they were buried anyway.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

The column on the right would seem to be in regard to a right. The others, not so much.

Requiring an ID to vote is not racist in itself, but it certainly would affect some citizens more than others.

not so fast. missed the buying/owning a gun part eh
You don't need ID to own a gun and please show us where in the 2nd it mentions purchasing a gun. Is buying a gun protected under the 2nd?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join