It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could you pull the trigger?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

I looked and just found answers similar to the one you gave me.

Look again then.

I don't do circle jerks well.

I don't particularly care to hear about your sex life, but neat!

It was a simple question.

And I've answered it before.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Maverick7

Okay, while I don't necessarily disagree with your editorial about law enforcement, but that's what it really is, an editorial. Did you read the OP and watch the video?

Your post is about what law enforcement should do to improve their image in the eye of the public. How would any of this have changed the events presented in the video? It wouldn't have changed a thing, not one bit. It's all fine and good to have an opinion, but yours is off-topic. The proverbial knife of public perception cuts both ways. Image can just as easily be cast into the shade from inaction as it can from wrong action.

So, back to the topic...what would you have done?

edit on 11/19/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kettu
You're not a "good cop" if you stay silent about the bad cops.

Period. End of story.

You are not a "good person" if you stay silent about all the criminals of the world..

Goes both ways.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

i would shoot who ever is pointing a gun at m and shows clear intent of shooting me. age,sex,race is no factor in who i would shoot to save my life.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I responded directly to the circumstance as presented by the op.

Truthfully, if my family was in danger, I still wouldn't use a gun-I'd try reason, understanding and everything to defuse the situation. I do not have a trigger point mind-and especially with a child in front of me. If I was not pointing a gun at that child they would be less likely to shoot me or my loved ones.

Every scenario would be different-but shoot first-nope. Not a child. Couldn't live with myself. Just certain personal ingrained rules. I may be the fool then so be it.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   

How does any of this justify the shooting of unarmed individuals?

If police are "that" frightened, maybe they chose the wrong profession.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

Fairly certain the OP did exactly the opposite of what you're asking?

Of course this doesn't justify illegal activity by LEOs, in any situation. Nor does it excuse abusive behavior.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ttobban
a reply to: Noncents

Well, I kind of thought it was a comment by you that was being discussed and hidden. Honestly, I don't compare the decision a citizen can or should make in an instance like that to what a trained professional can or should make in an instance like that. Law enforcement and their training aren't to be compared to what a citizens lack of training would or wouldn't provide as results. Apples aren't oranges, and oranges aren't apples.

Maybe they should have citizen training programs on possible interactions with law enforcement.

Scenario:

You're driving down the interstate and you get pulled over by a state trooper. He approaches your vehicle with his hand on his gun and asks for your license and registration. You reach back to get your wallet. BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!

You failed. You'll find that to be a more common scenario than a teenage girl shooting a cop with a rifle while he talks to her father.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ttobban

PAGE 3 THIRD POST DOWN UNDER MY NAME IN A QUOTE BOX. Are you overlooking it or acting like it isnt there.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Noncents

A child with a gun is just as dangerous and deadly as an adult. I do get the emotional element when it is a child, but I don't think an officer should forfeit their own life if they have no choice.

I would agree that if there is a non-lethal method available that would stop the child from pulling the trigger, it should be the first choice.

Since the question is "could you pull the trigger", I'd answer with I simply do not know. A child does trigger a different mindset about it all. I'd think it's the same as a soldier in war who is confronted with a child that clearly intends to kill them; there really is no choice.

Interesting topic.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

Did you read the OP? I am not justifying or excusing any illegal or abusive actions.

Fear is a highly evolved natural response to situations we recognize as potentially dangerous. I find it disturbing that you assume LEOs are somehow immune to the standard range of emotions everyone else is "allowed" to feel.

You do realize that cops are actual people too, right?
edit on 11/19/2017 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Justso

Justso, it is important to note that one officer (didn't even have their weapon drawn) was already shot. In this situation, you have every indication that not-firing will put your life, the lives of passerbys and even the father's life in jeopardy. Now I respect and understand your decision here, but could you live with the consequences of not shooting if your choice resulted in additional deaths/injuries?

Fortunately this specific event was hypothetical (although like Shamrock pointed out, there are indeed several real life examples of this happening). This is why training videos like this one exists. Not just to spark debate or conversation, but to give you a chance to look at an unthinkable scenario and come up with a plan of action
edit on 11/19/2017 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ttobban

It is unfortunate you feel that way. Have you ever tried actually having a conversation with them outside of an official interaction (like a traffic stop)?

You should give it a try though, and I mean that in the most sincere and respectful way possible

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Heh, thanks for pointing this out Shamrock

I guess some people would rather believe we're all just apologists with our heads buried in the sand. If they just took the time for even the most cursory review of posts/threads, they'd see that belief couldn't be more wrong

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

How does any of this justify the shooting of unarmed individuals?

If police are "that" frightened, maybe they chose the wrong profession.

Until you have them handcuffed and searched you cannot be 100% certain if someone is armed or not, that lack of certainty has killed more than a few cops over the years.
============

On topic I know for a fact I could not do a cops job seeing what many of them do every day I would rapidly become one of the bad ones.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Does the B-day party of a detective friend count? Where a large group of off duty police came to the party, drank excessive amounts of alcohol, played with their firearms while intoxicated like it was a pissing contest, then got in their cars and drove home drunk?

As individuals, I have very little opinion of law enforcement... police are just doing what they're paid to do. Include the fraternity aspects of the organization as a whole, and I start to have a lack of trust. I kind of feel that there needs to be a police department for the police departments... something isn't right with that.

Like any form of government, legislation, or law making and enforcement... let it go long enough unchecked and tyranny starts to take roots.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   

To answer your question very honestly, yes; I could live with my decision although I would probably be killed also. Even if the child was a demon spawn, I could never shoot a 12 year old; never. Call me stupid, foolish, anything horrid, I could not, would not do it. I know myself. Just never. I'm not everyman; I'm me. I know me.
edit on 19-11-2017 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso

To answer your question very honestly, yes; I could live with my decision although I would probably be killed also. Even if the child was a demon spawn, I could never shoot a 12 year old; never. Call me stupid, foolish, anything horrid, I could not, would not do it. I know myself. Just never. I'm not everyman; I'm me. I know me.

well at least try to get killed clean. i hate cleaning up a messy victim think of the person who has to clean that crap up.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: Justso

well at least try to get killed clean. i hate cleaning up a messy victim think of the person who has to clean that crap up.

You do realize you're cleaning up a bloodied body either way right, I guess from your statement we can assume you prefer cleaning up a kids corpse over an adult.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

its all meat to me. souls gone by then.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join