It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California's plastic bag ban seems to be working

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

There is no ban on plastic bags,now you have to pay 10 cents for them,just another way of our commie govenor,takes our money,10 cents at a time,yes people are less reluctant to toss them,but not all that much

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 04:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Komodo
I'm in CA & everyone is still buying plastic bags, the state banned them, but now we get to buy them..........

And how does this curb the plastic bag issue if were buying them at the same rate as before????!!!

ANSWER: it doesn't, but puts alot of money in the states pockets that's for sure!! SUPER Scam of the Century!!!

Lol!! That was the irony of my previous post, I pay a nominal amount for

a plastic bag which I fill with non biodegradable stiff plastic packaging/

containers to go into the household waste.

You couldn't make it up.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   
We haven't used plastic bags in years. We have quite a few reusables, we started using them years ago when we had to walk an hour to the grocery store and an hour back. Not everything fit in the canvas cart, gotta carry some stuff at some point. They're much, much kinder on the limbs and joints to haul food back in those than in plastic, and don't try telling me they can't haul much because I've hauled upwards of 40 lbs of stuff in them with no doubling up OR failures reliably for years. I've only ever replaced two over the years, all of them are still going strong at around a decade's average age after countless uses & washes, and from various grocers/retailers. Yer just doin it rong, neener neener

We seldom forget to take bags, and when we do, oh well. Either we buy a paper bag at Aldi if we have a use for it at home, or the stuff is behind the seats loose on the floor until we get home. Not a big deal, nor inconvenient, a few minutes of going back & forth from the car to the door isn't going to end the universe.

As far as plastic packaging for meat or produce goes, we rarely buy fresh foods pre-bagged or self-bagged in plastic. Where we shop lays everything out in bulk to pick over, few things are pre-packaged. If it's something like berries, nuts, beans, you usually don't get much of a choice in the matter, plastic's GOING to happen there, but for thing like bananas, pineapples, ect, we don't bother with produce bags. The same with bell peppers, cukes, squashes, lettuce, etc, we're not buying more than 1 or 2, maybe 3 at a time, so no bag is ever needed other than the reusables. And since we buy apples by the half bushel (seriously, not kidding) we have a basket specifically for that that we take along.
And while we do get some meats pre-packaged, over half is directly from the butcher, freshly cut & wrapped in butcher's paper. Even if there's plastic used to grab sausages from the case, that's still a lot less than the packaged stuff.

Everyone can reduce their plastics use. It's not going to be completely eliminated, but we can stand to not have layer upon layer of it for inane s#. It's not hard, it's not inconvenient, it just takes a little forethought. Same with the recycling. Ours is so thoroughly done that the recycling is picked up weekly, while the non-recyclable trash is only every other week because we just don't fill that one up as fast since we weed out everything recyclable. It's not like it takes any extra time, you're just tossing it in the proper receptacle right next to the general one....people are just lazy as hell, man.

Edit: Because someone's whining about dog poop: We had a dog years ago, and bought biodegradable poop bags. Even on a tight budget when we HAD a dog, it wasn't that much of an extra expense. Again, lazy people.
edit on 11/19/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I a reply to: FredT

I am in favor of eliminating the plastic bags, but here in Texas, if you bring reusable bags you are immediatly outed as a Democrat and shunned.

I serioulsly doubt Texas will ever put in a plastic bag ban.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ANNED
I have found many of the recyclable bags are only good for 4 to 5 uses.

Some are total crap but most of ours have lasted years. The giant bags they sell at Costco are basically indestructible and hold alot.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldtimer2

Yeah, you're right, it's a charge and not a state-wide ban; however, some municipalities do have bans, as mentioned by a poster, in Mendocino County.

a reply to: FredT

I'm still awaiting a reply to the OP's cradle-to-grave setup; the real discussion goes deeper than plastic grocery bags and it sure seemed the OP's setup merits discussion, if true, IMO.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat
I'm still awaiting a reply to the OP's cradle-to-grave setup; the real discussion goes deeper than plastic grocery bags and it sure seemed the OP's setup merits discussion, if true, IMO.

I agree. Just because something looks green does not mean it used green production methods. I for one would love to see in addition to warning say the carbon costs or pollution costs of one item over the other.

I have a 5 kWp solar system on my house. I save a ton of carbon each year from going into the atmosphere but my panels were made in China which used alot of coal to make the electricity needed to make them so that blunts their effect for a portion of their lifecycle

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Komodo
I'm in CA & everyone is still buying plastic bags, the state banned them, but now we get to buy them..........

And how does this curb the plastic bag issue if were buying them at the same rate as before????!!!

ANSWER: it doesn't, but puts alot of money in the states pockets that's for sure!! SUPER Scam of the Century!!!

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
This is a very misinformed post in many ways. The state doesn't get the money for the sale of bags, the stores do.

Senate Bill No. 270

42283.7. All moneys collected pursuant to this article shall be retained by the store and may be used only for the following purposes:
(a) Costs associated with complying with the requirements of this article.
(b) Actual costs of providing recycled paper bags or reusable grocery bags.
(c) Costs associated with a store’s educational materials or educational campaign encouraging the use of reusable grocery bags.

Collectively we are not buying bags at the same rate as they were being given out for free before. Some individuals are, sure, those to whom a dime has no value so they don't mind paying for the bags, or those who do mind paying for the bags but aren't going to bring re-usable bags with them. But, some do bring reusable bags so there is a reduction.

Also the bags people are buying are designed for 125 or more uses so are reusable even if not re-used, whereas the old free bags were only designed for a single use. So one will note the new bags are heavier (at my local store they are 26 grams, instead of only 6 grams), made of thicker plastic, somewhat less likely to blow around in the wind and are more durable. I don't know how much more the 125+ use bags cost the store but based on the additional weight of the plastic alone it has to be significantly higher cost than the old single-use bags. They probably don't cost the full dime the stores charge though, but in my area the stores have put up signs in the parking lot saying "don't forget to bring your re-usable bags" so the extra can help them pay for things like those signs as the bill allows.

Personally I never discarded a single-use bag without some use such as using it for a trash bag. I saved up some single-use bags from when they were free but when I run out of those I guess I have to start buying trash bags, so I'm not crazy about that. The problem was other people were much less careful with their bags than I was, so they ended up everywhere, in trees, drainage systems, beaches, etc. A dime a bag coupled with the fact the heavier bags don't blow around as easily should help with reduce that problem.

originally posted by: Oldtimer2
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

There is no ban on plastic bags,now you have to pay 10 cents for them,just another way of our commie govenor,takes our money,10 cents at a time,yes people are less reluctant to toss them,but not all that much
Again, single use bags are now banned, and the stores get the money from selling re-usable bags, not the state.

This bill, as of July 1, 2015, would prohibit stores that have a specified amount of sales in dollars or retail floor space from providing a single-use carryout bag to a customer,

The bags being sold instead are designed to be re-usable for at least 125 uses.

edit on 20171119 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I carry 2 bags and my backpack when I shop. Took awhile to get used to it.

We haven't bought a plastic bag in a couple years.

I like using them. In fact, I use them instead of a hand basket or cart.

So I know it will all fit.

My wife has 2 or 3 in her pack too.

Whatever plastic we get from fruits and veg etc, gets recycled for poop bags. We have 3 dogs.

The stores charge for bags here too.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   

So, a label of sorts; maybe something along the lines of the "Energy Star" ecolabel you see on new appliances? Sounds like a really good idea...like something you mentioned below:

my panels were made in China which used alot of coal to make the electricity needed to make them so that blunts their effect for a portion of their lifecycle

Earlier, you mentioned your food waste is tipped at an anaerobic digester, do you know who ends up with the resultant CH4? Is it co-digested with animal waste or food waste from a factory? Thanks in advance!

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat
Earlier, you mentioned your food waste is tipped at an anaerobic digester, do you know who ends up with the resultant CH4? Is it co-digested with animal waste or food waste from a factory? Thanks in advance!

Not sure. I assumed it was some sort of digester but may have been off the mark. this is from the cities website:

n January 2001, Z-Best began its MSW composting program after applying for and obtaining a full solid waste facility permit from the Cal Recycle. Currently, the facility accepts up to 350 tons per day of MSW compostable wastes from commercial establishments and area Cities.

Compost Retention BagsAt the Z-Best facility, all materials are processed in an enclosed 20,000 square foot building to remove non-compostable items. The compostable items are then shredded and transported to the composting area, where they are ejected into a 350-foot long bag that houses all the compostable wastes. PVC pipes are also introduced into the bag and used to aerate the compostable materials.

Retention time in the bags is about four months, at which time the contents are removed, turned and cured prior to screening. The materials are then transported to a screening system that is used to remove any larger materials, which are then disposed. The smaller compostable materials are stockpiled and cured for an additional four weeks before being screened again.
www.zankerrecycling.com...

They also operate the regular garden trimming compost. (Which we don't use because we elect to compost all of our stuff at home)

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Ahh, I see. The use of anaerobic decomposition to create a value-added byproduct in the form of a compost/soil amendment; I thought an anaerobic digester was used that produces methane that could be a source of power generation. No anaerobic digester is being fed, but it's still pretty cool that the municipality uses anaerobic decomposition to produce value-added compost/soil amendments.

Thanks for the info and link.

And keep on, keeping on.

edit on 9-2-2018 by BeefNoMeat because: "the" a couple times

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join