It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Record inequality: The top 1 percent controls 38.6 percent of America's wealth

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: MrNeo

But if Joe has more apples how did that happen?
Bill maintained two apples trees which took him 1 hour a day.
Joe too care of 4 apple trees which took him 2 hours a day.
Bill invested $40 on fertilizer and an additional $40 in whatever.
Joe invested $80..
Bill worked 30 hours a month while Joe worked 60.
Seems the guy that put more work to have more apples gets shafted.
How about Joe teach Bill how to work harder so Bill has more apples?

The problem is Joe sells apples grown in a 3rd world country and no longer grows anything. These apples cost far less that anything Bill can grow.
Joe also off shores and inverts his business and pays no taxes. He set up his store in cities that abated any taxes for his store. Joe uses the tax payer funded social safety net to supplement the employees wages or uses temp workers.
Bill now works for Joe for min wage and is on bridge card (food stamps).

edit on 18-11-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

originally posted by: knoxie

originally posted by: jacobe001

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

originally posted by: toysforadults

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: seasonal

My ACA Omnia Silver plan is going from $1600 per month for family of 4 to $2100 per month. A 23% increase. My salary did not go up 23% this year!

Eff the healthcare cartel! Eff the corporations!

2100 a month for healthcare that is fricken insane

Thanks, Obama.

EDIT: You too, all other Dems.

The Dems are in the pockets of big business like the republicans. Look at Wall Street Hillary lol, she cares as much about the poor as Donald.
The Dems provided the perfect opportunity for Big Business to don the hat of "caring for the poor" in order to make out like bandits.

The poor always had free healthcare via the emergency room, but the healthcare lobbyists wanted a fatter paycheck by having everyone else pitch in.

These type of people don the same script when it comes to wars.
They try and appeal to the masses with emotion where we need to "liberate" people in other countries.
What usually happens is we tear the country to pieces, terrorists rein free and the liberated people are worse off than when we started.

yes, the poor had free care through the emergency room.

what they DIDN'T have was preventative care and that is HUGE.

The poor still don't have preventative care. They can't afford the deductibles and co-pays. The only thing that changed was how much the plans costs and how little they cover.

Obama was bought and paid for by the medical mafia.

Democrat or Republican, follow the money and it always involves a trail in corruption.
All our policies are revolved around making others richer at this countries expense.
Every time nationalist policies are introduced, they get shot down because there is too much dam money to lose from it./

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: jacobe001

Agreed.

With health care there are numerous examples of other countries doing a much better job at a much better cost. But the populace is blind to it. Just like the populace is against unions.

Just doesn't make any sense.

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: sofj2
The US has ridiculously high tax for the richest people. Unlike Russia which has the same tax rate for everyone. The US actually punishes people for being rich.

Taxes trickle down to consumers, all shucks, who is going to pay for their globalist military?
Gee, I guess we will have to go back to only defending our borders and let other countries fend for themselves and Free Trade will be in dire straits.

Hope it falls apart.

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacobe001

originally posted by: sofj2
The US has ridiculously high tax for the richest people. Unlike Russia which has the same tax rate for everyone. The US actually punishes people for being rich.

Taxes trickle down to consumers, all shucks, who is going to pay for their globalist military?
Gee, I guess we will have to go back to only defending our borders and let other countries fend for themselves and "Free Trade" will be in dire straits.

Hope it falls apart. The sooner the better.
Globalist Free Trade was never meant for the American consumer nor worker, it was meant for the wealthy to exploit others to make them richer.

They explained this in the citigroup memo for those paying attention.

edit on 18-11-2017 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Agreed.

With health care there are numerous examples of other countries doing a much better job at a much better cost. But the populace is blind to it. Just like the populace is against unions.

Just doesn't make any sense.

Yep
I do not understand it either.
Unions is as American as apple pie.
It was not until the 70s where they convinced the populace that workers involved in collective bargaining was evil and corporations doing the same thing was good.

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   
The problem is the elite consciously, through the conservative philosophy, went out to destabilize the growth of the middle class.

This is documented…

Why did they do this?

Because studies showed them that social disturbances like revolutions, SJW type revolts were always done when a society had a vibrant and healthy middle class.

Therefore, they consciously went out to wreck the American middle class that was growing, advancing, and progressing at an enormous rate after WWII up until the early 80's.

Now there are no more secure jobs with decent pensions, no more unions that are powerful, no more manufacturing base, and all the elements that created a healthy and growing middle class from 1945 to 1980 have been deliberately wrecked.

People, because their always seeking to survive, can no longer be a threat to the elite class.

We've lost. We've been beaten down...Hoodwinked

Destroyed!

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Ok here's a question, can you tell me with a straight face that a person making 500,000 a year is really doing 25 times the work of the person earning 20,000 a year?

Because in order for someone to fairly own more than someone else their contribution and earnings need to be proportional for your beliefs to make sense.

Tell me what do these people that own 100's of billions do that make them worth literally billions of other humans? Is their contribution to society really so great?
edit on 11/19/2017 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Imagine a CEO starting to doing their handy work with out a contract spelling out what his pay-bene's-bosuses-and how much is given when he/she is canned-cars-planes-hotels.....The list gets silly.

But hourly workers nothing. And right to work is even potentially taking what little protections there were and 86ing them.

And about 10 years ago enters the temp worker in it's latest wage busting incantation.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

The top 1 percent controls 38.6 percent of America's wealth

Well, there is a reason they are called 'wealthy'... how much *should* they have possession of? 20 percent? 10? What is the threshold to prevent butthurt envy?

Do you think that money is not a form of power?
Do you think that those who have money do not use money as leverage?
Do you think the rich do not push for laws and regulations that preserve their interests?

Checkout this thing I made years ago... I haven't looked at numbers in awhile, but this is how average income grew for 25 years:
(e: I should explain this a bit I guess, Q = Quintile; quintile = 20% of the overall population from poorest Q1 to richest Q5 - a standard metric used to look at how things are going, with the addition of further division of the top 20% into the top 10%, 5%, and 1% - most of the growth in those are actually in the top 1% which lifts up the others in that same group; Δ = delta, a.k.a. change)

Average income of the poor rose just over 6%, while average income of the rich rose over 225%.
edit on 9Sun, 19 Nov 2017 09:29:00 -0600America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago11 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I work for a developer as the developers representative / project manager during construction.
We are 100% union so all the workers are making union wages. When we get into over time the trade workers make more than I do.
The owner of my company is Chinese, he started out as a laborer in China then worked his way up to carpenter and from there worked his way up to being a developer who has built entire villages in China.
Now.
We have two high rise buildings starting on two different properties with one bought at $26 million with the construction costs for this 40 story high rise upwards of $120 million. We will employ hundreds of union trade workers,, the building will employ hundreds of workers after its built and we have 20 floors between both buildings going to affordable housing.
Why shouldn't the owner, my boss make more than I or the workers as without his input there would not be hundreds of jobs created.
My job is to make sure the building is built safely and on time with a degree of quality considering its a 40 story building. I have to know all trades from the piles, pile caps, grade and tie beams, soil tests, reinforcing steel to interior framing, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, fire protection, drywall, finishes, cabinets, etc. I have to be 2-3 weeks ahead of everyone. I've already built the building in my head many times. I check and recheck everything I do once I get home, sending and answering emails making sure everything is in order. I'm basically on the clock 24/7.
Here's the real kicker though. Anything that goes wrong is my responsibility.
I had to place a fence around the property and in the contract I specifically stated the contractor locate underground utilities before pounding steel sleeves 4 feet into the ground. The day the contractor showed up to perform the work I noticed the utilities were not marked or located so I stopped the work. Had these guys hit a power line or gas line and got hurt or died I would have been charged with manslaughter.
So to answer your question I probably do 50 times more work than any trades person hitting this project.

originally posted by: Puppylove

Ok here's a question, can you tell me with a straight face that a person making 500,000 a year is really doing 25 times the work of the person earning 20,000 a year?

Because in order for someone to fairly own more than someone else their contribution and earnings need to be proportional for your beliefs to make sense.

Tell me what do these people that own 100's of billions do that make them worth literally billions of other humans? Is their contribution to society really so great?

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Kudos to your employer for his hard work and success. But this isn't about everyone earning the same. It's about the significant and increasing disparity of wealth in this country --- and the world for that matter. Disparity of wealth has been shown to statistically correlate to the stability of a society --- the more disparity the less stable. It is a prime factor used in assessing countries' stability. Generally, people would agree that the more stable a country is the better off everyone is. In the U.S. our disparity has increased geometrically. And wealth brings with it the power to affect laws and policies that favor the wealthy over the rest. Look at Trump's 'big beautiful' tax plan. His family will benefit upwards of $1B.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Are you in the least bit concerned about large corps who are incredibly profitable, I worked for one, using temp workers for 9$ an hour?
I witnessed good paying 16$ + bene's an hour jobs get filled by temps by this multi national. There is something wrong with a company when they treat their workers like share croppers who are indeed temp and migrant.

If you can't recognize that corp America, not all, but a huge slice is exploiting workers and destroying the middle class than please explain it to me.

Plus add the exploitation of textile-shoe manufacturing that is hidden in plain sight here in the US.

edit on 19-11-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: blackadder01

If the tribulation begins then I think we can all relax and stop worrying about the economy.

a reply to: Teikiatsu

To prevent butthurt envy I think we'd have to cut it down to exactly 1%, and even that might not be enough. But if you only want to prevent a feudal dystopia from happening, then I reckon 10 or 20 percent would do just fine.
edit on 19-11-2017 by Cutepants because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I think this is a personal choice issue.
Both my sister and I come from a broken family home, raised on foodstamps.
Neither of us wanted the same life so we did the best we could with my sister becoming a multi millionaire without even finishing college.
I'm a veteran but when I got out there were no jobs for a forward observer calling in artillery in civilian life. I had one or two minimum wage jobs in my life that didn't last long as I wasn't getting what I needed. I joined a union apprenticeship, had two spinal surgeries due to work and at 46 years old earned my bachelors in construction management which I should have done when I was 23 years old - my bad.
Look, Ice Cube came out of east LA and is a multi millionaire, Justin Bieber did it and there's some dude in Oregon rolling doobies for $15k not to mention Oprah.
I think everyone has a chance.
Several years ago I offered a bunch of $15 Now members a chance to join a union trade apprenticeship. Wanna know how many took me up on that? None. Their biggest gripe was having to wake up at 4am.

originally posted by: jtma508

Kudos to your employer for his hard work and success. But this isn't about everyone earning the same. It's about the significant and increasing disparity of wealth in this country --- and the world for that matter. Disparity of wealth has been shown to statistically correlate to the stability of a society --- the more disparity the less stable. It is a prime factor used in assessing countries' stability. Generally, people would agree that the more stable a country is the better off everyone is. In the U.S. our disparity has increased geometrically. And wealth brings with it the power to affect laws and policies that favor the wealthy over the rest. Look at Trump's 'big beautiful' tax plan. His family will benefit upwards of $1B.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Not my concern.
I was there at one point and moved on.
I had maybe two minimum wage jobs and quit them both.
I would encourage people to join construction trade union apprenticeships. The work cannot be sent overseas and the pay is good.
One problem though.
I moved to Oregon one day and they were paying .27 a foot to hang drywall in houses then out of nowhere that rate went down to .08. Why? Because of illegals coming in and low balling everyone. Another reason why were pro union.

Are you in the least bit concerned about large corps who are incredibly profitable, I worked for one, using temp workers for 9$ an hour?
I witnessed good paying 16$ + bene's an hour jobs get filled by temps by this multi national. There is something wrong with a company when they treat their workers like share croppers who are indeed temp and migrant.

If you can't recognize that corp America, not all, but a huge slice is exploiting workers and destroying the middle class than please explain it to me.

Plus add the exploitation of textile-shoe manufacturing that is hidden in plain sight here in the US.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Seems like it should be your concern. Low wages touches everyone. The drywall is cheaper-low wages.
The factory job forces people to demand much lower costs.

It effects everyone, especially the bottom line of the owners/share holders. For a while.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen
workers work for less because you have millions of 'undocumented aliens' willing to work for 5 bucks an hour.

in 1979, you could be a janitor and pay rent.
now if you are a janitor, you need to put an additional 20 hours in at walmart for that same income.

walmart loves illegals, all corporations love cheap labor.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: dantanna

I wish the politicians would think like you do.

Their jobs can't be filled with illegals....yet

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greven
Checkout this thing I made years ago... I haven't looked at numbers in awhile, but this is how average income grew for 25 years:
(e: I should explain this a bit I guess, Q = Quintile; quintile = 20% of the overall population from poorest Q1 to richest Q5 - a standard metric used to look at how things are going, with the addition of further division of the top 20% into the top 10%, 5%, and 1% - most of the growth in those are actually in the top 1% which lifts up the others in that same group; Δ = delta, a.k.a. change)

Average income of the poor rose just over 6%, while average income of the rich rose over 225%.

Oh yeah, here's an interesting thing in this chart...

1979 share of income...
Q1: 14400 - 6.13% (poorest 20%)
Q2: 29100 - 12.38%
Q3: 41500 - 17.66%
Q4: 54300 - 23.11%
Q5: 95700 - 40.72% (richest 20%)
---extended---
top20% to top10%: 14.94%
...this includes top 1%, 5%... top10%: 121200 - 25.78%
top10% to top 5%: 8.78%
...this includes top 1%... top 5%: 159700 - 17.00%
top 5% to top 1%: 10.06%
top 1%: 326400 - 6.94%

2005 share of income...
Q1: 15300 - 4.48% (poorest 20%)
Q2: 33700 - 9.86%
Q3: 50200 - 14.69%
Q4: 70300 - 20.57%
Q5: 172200 - 50.40% (richest 20%)
---extended---
top20% to top10%: 14.36%
...this includes top 1%, 5%... top10%: 246300 - 36.04%
top10% to top 5%: 8.98%
...this includes top 1%... top 5%: 369800 - 27.06%
top 5% to top 1%: 11.38%
top 1%: 1071500 - 15.68%

Gains from 1979 to 2005 (losses denoted by []s):
Q1: [-1.65%] (poorest 20%)
Q2: [-2.52%]
Q3: [-2.97%]
Q4: [-2.54%]
Q5: +9.68% (richest 20%)
---extended---
top20% to top10%: [-0.58%]
...this includes top 1%, 5%... top10%: +10.26%
top10% to top 5%: +0.20%
...this includes top 1%...top 5%: +10.06%
top 5% to top 1%: +1.32%
top 1%: +8.74%

There is most certainly class warfare going on, and the rich are winning it.

new topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join