It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Record inequality: The top 1 percent controls 38.6 percent of America's wealth

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: xuenchen
Why do workers keep working for less ?
You would think people would know better by now.

You obviously are not a manager of people. People generally don't give a crap about work.

Well why is that ?

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: blackadder01
a reply to: dfnj2015

The American Dream. What would George say now?

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   

You obviously are not a manager of people. People generally don't give a crap about work.

Well why is that ?

You are not a manager because you are a snarky punk with no empathy or compassion for the problems of your fellow man. No one would ever like you enough to work for you.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   

I know right!? George would be LIVID.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   
You people are going about this all wrong. Instead of being whiny bitches you should be trying to join the 1%. Problem solved.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
You people are going about this all wrong. Instead of being whiny bitches you should be trying to join the 1%. Problem solved.

Lol! How silly of me. My attitude is the whole problem. I'm going to go out right now get a loan from the bank to open up a local hardware store to compete with Home Depot. Or maybe local bookstore to compete with Amazon.

The problem with today's America is crime pays so much better than hard work.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Yep. So, what ya gonna do about it?

Waiting for things to change in your favor won't have the desired effect I'm afraid.

You are right. As an individual I have no power to fight the cartels and monopolies. According to FDR, against economic tyranny such as this, the American citizen could appeal only to the organized power of government:

"An old English judge once said: 'Necessitous men are not free men.' Liberty requires opportunity to make a living - a living decent according to the standard of the time, a living which gives man not only enough to live by, but something to live for.

For too many of us the political equality we once had won was meaningless in the face of economic inequality. A small group had concentrated into their own hands an almost complete control over other people's property, other people's money, other people's labor - other people's lives. For too many of us life was no longer free; liberty no longer real; men could no longer follow the pursuit of happiness.

Against economic tyranny such as this, the American citizen could appeal only to the organized power of government."

Speech before the 1936 Democratic National Convention

Brilliant speech - thank you!!!

read it again.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
The American dream is only as good as you make it.

You want a nightmare? You'll get one.

You have the entirety of the world's knowledge at your fingertips. Figure something out.

If wealth creation were finite this whole thing might actually be a problem I worry about.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Whiny bitch here.

Anti trust laws must be applied. There are many many corps that need to have their wings trimmed. And if I am readingg the tea leaves correctly (and I may not be) Trump is starting that ball rolling with google.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Metallicus

Whiny bitch here.

Anti trust laws must be applied. There are many many corps that need to have their wings trimmed. And if I am readingg the tea leaves correctly (and I may not be) Trump is starting that ball rolling with google.

Perhaps it is time to institute a corporate death penalty for crimes against humanity.

It would open up markets to plenty of new and local businesses.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
The American dream is only as good as you make it.

You want a nightmare? You'll get one.

You have the entirety of the world's knowledge at your fingertips. Figure something out.

If wealth creation were finite this whole thing might actually be a problem I worry about.

I love your naivete. The funny thing about being in business is as a business owner you make the most money when your customers have money. Read the referenced article in the original post. This is the whole point. Every year the purchasing power of the worker's wages is declining! It's not just an attitude problem of the business owner.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

No no. Corps would not do anything to hurt their "consumers". Asbestos-tobacco-pharma-food (pet food)-energy-textiles it doesn't take much digging to see damage done to segments of consumers knowingly done by corps.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   

The top 1 percent controls 38.6 percent of America's wealth

Well, there is a reason they are called 'wealthy'... how much *should* they have possession of? 20 percent? 10? What is the threshold to prevent butthurt envy?
edit on 17-11-2017 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   

So...your company does buys a piece of software and suddenly your productivity doubles. You're able to push out more product in half the time. You don't make any more money though. Your boss and the company do make more money though.

You're still doing the same work but you're doing more of it in less time and seeing no difference in pay. That's automation in a nutshell.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   

This is the whole point. Every year the purchasing power of the worker's wages is declining! It's not just an attitude problem of the business owner.

That's a symptom of design. Monetary policy is what determines purchasing power. Right now inflation effectively outpaces wages in many sectors of the economy. The inflation thresholds are growing fewer and fewer and the Fed is starting to talk about interest rates again. I know that the dollar buys less, but that is not the fault of the business owner as he is paying for less with more as well.
edit on 17 11 17 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: links234

So...your company does buys a piece of software and suddenly your productivity doubles. You're able to push out more product in half the time. You don't make any more money though. Your boss and the company do make more money though.

You're still doing the same work but you're doing more of it in less time and seeing no difference in pay. That's automation in a nutshell.

Well that's enough to make me take a refresher course on my MBA.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   

They also pay more in taxes than the 90%

taxfoundation.org...

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: KJUK78

There is not enough money in the other segments of the taxpaying base.

Pay is lacking and has been lacking since Carter handed the baton to Reagan at the end of the 1970's.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Yep. So, what ya gonna do about it?

Waiting for things to change in your favor won't have the desired effect I'm afraid.

Well, we could start by making sure our elected officials stop bending over backwards to please the wealthiest Americans... A good start would be nuking Trump's tax crapextravaganza.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: KJUK78

They also pay more in taxes than the 90%

taxfoundation.org...

That's because they have ALL THE F'ING MONEY!

Christ....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join