It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

strange sea creature ofund in sweden

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Why would anyone bother faking a photo of a tiny fish? You think this guy's going to get the nobel prize for discovering it? pffff... it's one less shrimp in the box, the guy needs to go get his money back.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by drfunk
yeh well smartass it sure doesnt look like normal focus to me

Abnormal focus?

You are aware of the fact they are quoting a source (newspaper), are you? Its an easy task to check it out. Well if you live in Sweden. Dont think our local library is big enough to pack Östersundsposten though.

But then again visiting their site and seeing another of their articles... Lets just say that they have had their shares of odd stuff inside food packages. I wonder if the other sea creature reported in the papers that looked like an anus is from there too (yes you read right)

[edit on 13-2-2005 by merka]

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I will have to say the photo looks Photoshopped to me, but I'm no expert on it.... If a new species though, there'd have to be a process followed, and if there's no evidence of this process happening with this thing, then it speaks pretty well for it being a hoax. The hosting site makes no distinction usually when posting hoax pics or not....

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I will have to say the photo looks Photoshopped to me, but I'm no expert on it.... If a new species though, there'd have to be a process followed, and if there's no evidence of this process happening with this thing, then it speaks pretty well for it being a hoax. The hosting site makes no distinction usually when posting hoax pics or not....

Even if the hosting site does that, the article is still on the swedish newspaper site that originally reported it.

I dont know if its true or not, but you can always email the guy who wrote the article and ask

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I saw an adult one preserved in a tank at the LA Museum of Natural History, though it was somewhat narrow through the beam, and the head of this little one looks kind of blocky.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   
LOL!!!

Just saw that the even odder article I mentioned earlier was in the newspaper here...

Lets just say that when people find what look like a penis in their ketchup bottle (yes you read right, the police has it now), an unknown fish in a shrimp bag isnt that unbelievable

[edit on 13-2-2005 by merka]

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I am not going to say that someone didn't make a model... because I have no idea, but as a "photo" guy, I can tell that there is nothing that shouts fake about the picture. The overrun of light is simply caused by a flash. The reason that the image "falls off" or becomes out of focus is caused by using an automatic macro lens. It has a VERY shallow depth of field and that causes the out of focus on anything that is not in the focusing plane. Fakes, or photoshops, etc. usually don't deal in the depth of field. They would make the whole thing clear or the whole thing blurry. The fact that it falls off when you leave the focal plane shows that it is a real photo. Again it could be a model, I don't really know about that, but the photo is real and looks to have been done with a digital camera. I would love to see another example shot with a high quality film camera.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   
It looks photoshopped..

SMR

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Thanks for the well processed reply

I still say it isnt a PS job.Still guessing it may be just something undiscovered.We know little about our oceans and whats down in the deeper parts.
This thing could be from depths we havent been to yet.Perhaps just lucky that this maybe died and floated to a shallow depth.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   
One thing I don't get is why do people always suspect any new form of life found in the ocean is automatically fake? The ocean has not yet been fully discovered, I'm sure it's not even 25% discovered. The fact of the matter is, all thoughts of a new life form should be seen as speculative yet with an open mind until conclusive evidence is presented for its existence. I can't say if this life form is real or fake, but as of now, it's leaning more towards real, for the reason that it was published in a legit newspaper. Unless this newspaper is the swedish version of the the weekly world news, my opinions would remain as so. There are massive amounts of life forms in the ocean that have yet been discovered, I hope that people understand that space is not the last frontier, but rather it's our planet's oceans.

[edit on 16-2-2005 by IKnowNothing]

SMR

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Thats what I dont understand.They want to go out into space to see what they find that may explain how and why about earth,when we havent even explored our own oceans that just MAY hold the answer.
Creatures such as this may hold answers if they just spend less and go someplace easier than space.Much more than fish down there,much more.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
omg that pic is so fake

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I think its funny someones yelling Fack After all whats the big deal ?becides the fact this may be a new typ of fish theres Plently in the deep Much Much stranger looking then this .There would be little point to facking suce a common looking fish .I mean realy if someone wanted to fake a fish you would think they would comeup with something better then that.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
On the animal, they have it, but don't bother to get it tested? Sounds fishy. Poor pun intended.

They could therefore have been fished in the Pacific, even in the waters where a Japanese trawler 20 years ago found the cadaver of what was believed to have been a plesiosaur.

This, however, was not a plesiosaur, it was a rotting basking shark carcass. Its anatomical correlates matched that of a basking shark, it resembles other rotting basking shark carcassses, and a protein analysis found that it matched perfectly a basking shark protein. Who ever wrote that original article hasn't done their research.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
You are all missing the most important part. WHAT DOES IT TASTE LIKE??

SMR

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Chicken

I dont think I would want to eat it!It looks poisonous as is.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 11:36 PM
link   
hmm i wonder if it still tastes like shrimp

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Agreed, that it seems a silly thing to fake, but if a new creature, surely the naming process would have started by now... If true, I suppose we'll see it pop up in other sources eventually.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I don't recall them saying that the specimin had been given to anyone for examination and naming no?

That in itself makes me think its all fraud, one way or another.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
I don't recall them saying that the specimin had been given to anyone for examination and naming no?

That in itself makes me think its all fraud, one way or another.

The article say they would contact the sweetwater laboratory in stockholm (direct tranlation, dont know the "correct" english name)...

And I think people fail to see what this kind of article is. Its not some online webpage, "freakynews.com" or "strangestuff.net" or "indiadaily.com" (heh). This has been reported in local newspapers (two I've found, Östersundsposten and Länstidningen (Östersund)). Its been followed up (the claim it was a "havsmus") and I think the newspapers assume that is the end of that.

Länstidningen (Östersund) 30/1: They got a beast with the shrimps
Länstidningen (Östersund) 2/2: It was a (whatever the english name for havsmus is)
(of course, both are in swedish. The meaning you already know from previous texts)

[edit on 24-2-2005 by merka]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join