It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump administration lifts ban on importing lion hunt trophies

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Whereismypassword

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm sure the villages can and do feed themselves. But, since importation of the meat from the animal taken is forbidden, it is generally given to the villages that the hunters helped, or where the guides may live, usually one and the same.

I have no idea whether they are better hunters, or not. However, it is easier, not to mention safer for those villagers to let some American or European hunter pay for the "privilege", not mention profitable.
edit on 11/18/2017 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

It seems counterintuitive but it really does work. The hunters conservation efforts and licensed trophy hunting regulations have actually worked where they have been tried. Especially since it is these very programs that fund anti poaching efforts.

edit on 18 11 17 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

It is counter-intuitive, very much so. But, according to everything I've ever heard, it works. The money raised is used to great effect by the local govts and national wildlife foundations in places like Kenya, and Tanzania, in South Africa, etc...

I don't have to like it, and I don't, but it does seem to have a positive effect. Just wish there was a better way. But until the poaching problems in Africa are solved, it is what it is.

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Moose is definitely the most dangerous animal up here, or anywhere for that matter. I've been charged twice, once by a bull while in a row boat fishing in Idaho near Yellowstone and once by a cow protecting a calf while driving over Logan Canyon while on the Idaho side. Actually three times now that I think of it. Once while stopped to survey the area on a remote road while Mule Deer hunting in Idaho. A bull came down the dirt road towards me and I jumped in the cab. It stood facing me with it's head hanging over the hood. I believe that was the largest bull I've ever seen including here in Alaska. I pay them the utmost respect.

Polar Bear number two since they are far more dangerous than a Brown Bear and have one goal, to eat anything they can catch and they have no fear. If they are coming towards you, shoot or run, ain't no bear spray going to save you.

I don't get the whole idea of trophy hunting and I'm completely opposed. If I'm not going to eat it, I'm not going to shoot it. I don't have any respect for people who hunt only for the trophy, who give the meat away or waste it in any way. Leave them be if your not hunting for food.

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

I leave moose strictly alone. They're a ton of mean with no fuse. I've only ever encountered one polar bear, and that was from 300 yards away. I saw several brown bears on Kodiak many years ago...doing what I was doing, fishing. We were about a hundred or so yards away from each other. They watched me, I watched them, and stayed away from each other.

I had a close encounter with a black bear when I was a kid out picking huckleberries. He was picking huckleberries, too.

I was on one side of the patch, he on the other. He came around the corner of the patch, just as I was approaching it, about thirty or so yards--maybe--it seemed much closer... But it was a gorgeous summer day, and neither of us wanted any trouble, he went his way, I went mine--I went my way much, much faster!!

I've only hunted bear once. I got a bear tag, and got an old boar--not sure he'd have reached the spring, that's how old he was...I kept the rug (gave that to my then girlfriends mom), and the teeth and claws. The meat went to a local charity.

I'm not, as I've said several times now, a fan of trophy hunting, either. When I hunt, there's a chance that something might hunt me right back. I've been tracked by puma once or twice, treed by that scary moose (long, uncomfortable four hours, in the rain.).

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

I've only actually tried bear hunting once and it was because it was causing problems in our camp and had lost it's fear, so I figured more meat for me. I'm not particularly fearful of black bear which is what it was. No special tag was needed back then.

Got up before the rest of camp and found it right away bedded down in a thick grove of aspens. It smelled me, stood up and I raised my rifle but it was too close and all I could see was bark and fur and it took off. Never saw it again and after maybe a quarter mile I realized it was circling behind me and tracking me more than I was tracking it. Heard some horses going nuts and ended up in a camp I realized was some friends from the area. Horses do not like bears. I went back to deer hunting, but I'm sure my friends took care of the nuisance bear and stuck it in their freezer. Never had the urge to bear hunt.

I suppose I could see it being OK hunting as a surrogate as long as the end goal is food and it does not get wasted. I view hunting like I do working for money. If I need the meat I hunt, if not I don't. I've never even kept a rack of an animal to hang on the wall, even though I've shot some exceptional deer and elk. Took one when I was a kid in Price Canyon in Utah that may have been one for the record books. Huge muley's up that canyon.

OK, now I'm blathering on.

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

The problems I've had with moose have almost always been someone else's stupidity. Nothing quite as wonderfully as pissing off a moose then cutting the country so the next poor sap that runs into him or her has a half ton of chuffing rage to deal with.
edit on 18-11-2017 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Seems more like a trolling attempt on Trump's part.

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: sofj2

I don't know about that..I think he just want's to undo anything Obama did..this time there were loud repercussions.
I have no problem with someone hunting to put meat on their table..as far as trophy hunters go, especially one's that go to Africa..to me they are just thrill killers, human garbage, I wouldn't piss on one of them if he/she was on fire.

(post by Godstuff removed for a manners violation)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Hippos, oddly enough you might think, are responsible for more deaths than the others.

If I'm not mistaken the Hippo is rated the most or second most aggressive animal in Africa, I'd personally say the world myself, they are mean as F*.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Why on Earth anyone would want to extinguish the lives of magnificent wild creatures is beyond me. I don't understand how anyone gets a 'thrill' from deliberately ending the life of an innocent being just going about its life. It's sick. Perverse. How does one 'enjoy' killing a living creature, so much so that they will actually pay thousands to be allowed to do it whenever the urge rears?

They will even go to great lengths to convince the masses that killing living creatures is actually 'good for them'. Good grief.

I get the 'hunting to eat' side of it. It's the killing 'because you enjoy it' reason I don't understand. There's something wrong with these kind of people and their 'killing for enjoyment' shouldn't be encouraged nor accommodated.

Every living thing on this Earth is put here for a purpose. Everything has a right to its life, we don't deserve life more than another creature, and it's not for us to end another life just because we 'enjoy' it, or think there's too many of them. That's Mother Nature's decision.

If humans have a problem with our own population growth then we need to come up with something to control that instead of killing nature's creatures to make room for more unnecessary humans. So deal with that. Mother Nature is more than capable of managing and balancing the wildlife numbers perfectly. It's humans that are causing the problems, it's only all screwed up due to our interference in the first place.

We control the populations of wild animals if we think there's too many of them because 'it's good for them', so why wouldn't the same 'logic' apply to the human population? I'm not saying we should kill humans, but we could come up with a plan to slow down or control our own population growth instead of killing animals to make more room for us. If we don't do something about it, you can bet Mother Nature surely will in time.

Just my thoughts.
edit on 19-11-2017 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Got to call Trump on favoritism when I see it, his boys are big game hunters they want this.

Bad Donald.
edit on 19-11-2017 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Like banning this in America would save a single lion globally. Just more worthless virtue signalling regulations from the previous administration.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

Moose is definitely the most dangerous animal up here, or anywhere for that matter. I've been charged twice, once by a bull while in a row boat fishing in Idaho near Yellowstone and once by a cow protecting a calf while driving over Logan Canyon while on the Idaho side. Actually three times now that I think of it. Once while stopped to survey the area on a remote road while Mule Deer hunting in Idaho. A bull came down the dirt road towards me and I jumped in the cab. It stood facing me with it's head hanging over the hood. I believe that was the largest bull I've ever seen including here in Alaska. I pay them the utmost respect.

Polar Bear number two since they are far more dangerous than a Brown Bear and have one goal, to eat anything they can catch and they have no fear. If they are coming towards you, shoot or run, ain't no bear spray going to save you.

I don't get the whole idea of trophy hunting and I'm completely opposed. If I'm not going to eat it, I'm not going to shoot it. I don't have any respect for people who hunt only for the trophy, who give the meat away or waste it in any way. Leave them be if your not hunting for food.

Moose are mean as hell...had one charge me when I lived in Montana. They don't spook, they come at you.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: doobydoll

At the risk of sending this thread off on a tangent...

You seem to be equating hunting, with killing. I've hunted many, many times with nothing more dangerous than my camera, or a pair of binoculars. There is a certain amount of thrill to hunting, without any intent to kill.

Killing is easy. Man, as a whole, is a killer. Hunting requires skill, when you watch the cute little lion cubs on a nature documentary and they're springing and wrestling--yeah, they're playing, but they're also learning to stalk, to hunt. Lions find it easy to kill, too. All predator species do. Hunting, on the other hand, is an acquired skill.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   
If/Since other beings have tendencies to hunt. Humans may be sending them a bad vibration or even an it's ok to hunt. Humans, how would many act if they knew beings hunted and abducted in the same way. Would humans continue to hunt or recognize the Universal karmic energy involved in hunting for sport

This too is part of actual awareness. You are not alone.
Pay attention to the standard being set.

For just as some may utilize war to further test technologies. Some may also study a species activity from "hidden" perception, to possibly implement how to deal with and interact with the species that is studied...

Perhaps some can understand husk interest now. Maybe "they" do that instead of - further enlightenment

Non aware still feel humans in flesh are apex or top of universal food chains...

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Imaginative scan-
Increase. It is just a movie. But you never know how close it may be to truth. As with many other movies.

The Day the EA*RTH Stood Still. Another fascinating piece of visual art or

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: doobydoll

At the risk of sending this thread off on a tangent...

You seem to be equating hunting, with killing. I've hunted many, many times with nothing more dangerous than my camera, or a pair of binoculars. There is a certain amount of thrill to hunting, without any intent to kill.

Killing is easy. Man, as a whole, is a killer. Hunting requires skill, when you watch the cute little lion cubs on a nature documentary and they're springing and wrestling--yeah, they're playing, but they're also learning to stalk, to hunt. Lions find it easy to kill, too. All predator species do. Hunting, on the other hand, is an acquired skill.

Excellent post. Once you get the drop on them, and are near enough, that is all you need, a Camera.
The skill of hunting has already paid off. No need to kill, and certainly no need to hang some poor creature's head on a wall. That, I will never be able to understand.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indrasweb
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Whilst I'm not possessed of the kind of pathological hate of Donald Trump that seems to be the current fashion, I cannot believe that even the most rabid Trump fan could defend this one. I can think of no justifiable reason for this AT ALL. Why the hell are people shooting living creatures for fun???
For food, of course, yes. For population control... mmm.. maybe.. sometimes... just for the giggles?? Sick man... sick..

I think hunting these animals should only be allowed if you're prepared to do it hand to hand... maybe with a knife or something (big cats have claws right), make it a fair fight and then maybe...

Sounds like you want to make big game hunting illegal for Americans like obama.

Take the fun out of it. Buzzkillers.

They pay huge amounts for a licence, which should go back to running their depts of wildlife and conservation.

The real problem is the poachers and the demand from asia for a lot of the illegal killings.

Ivory, rhino and others parts, exotic wildlife trade is billions of dollars. All illegal.

Mugabe/Zimbabwe has to clean up their act.

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join