It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump administration lifts ban on importing lion hunt trophies

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Yeah, I understood that.. but I'm fairly sure that by changing the law you're signalling that you condone it AND making it more attractive to people by letting them import the wonderful mementos of their killing expeditions..

Whether you like it or not, many people are influenced by the people they see in power and authority and, if they're passing laws that condone and facilitate/reward killing endangered animals for sport then you're going to be encouraging more folks to do it.

There was a law preventing import already so, what possible justification was there for getting rid of it?
Fair enough, if there was no law then there's a debate to be had about whether one is needed. Presumably that already took place and they determined there was a need for the law.

So...

Why the change? Is there suddenly no need for it? Are the reasons it was originally introduced no longer valid? What possible justification is there for this? Genuinely, I'm curious..

ETA: The folks saying that somehow it helps the animals and environment etc.. you know what would actually help the environment WAAAAAAY more?

Killing humans.

And lots of them.. saaaay about... 6 billion of them maybe...

so.. you know.. fair enough eh? Line em up...

edit on 17-11-2017 by Indrasweb because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Indrasweb

As backwards as it sounds, its the big game hunters that funnel the most money into the direct conservation over there, as opposed to donations.

I think its silly unless youre eating the meat, and stuffing it is twice as dorky.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Yeah, I understood that.. but I'm fairly sure that by changing the law you're signalling that you condone it AND making it more attractive to people by letting them import the wonderful mementos of their killing expeditions..

If the host country allows the hunt then why blame the U.S?

This is nothing but fake outrage.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger

As backwards as it sounds, its the big game hunters that funnel the most money into the direct conservation over there, as opposed to donations.

I think its silly unless youre eating the meat, and stuffing it is twice as dorky.

There's a lot of hunting around where I live in the Scottish Highlands. They make the same claim, that it funnels money into conservation and the local economy.

Don't know how true it is in Africa, but it's a lie here. They say they manage the landscape, but without the hunting, the landscape would still exist.

And as for the channeling money into local economy, most of the money disappears into the pockets of the millionaires who own the hunting estates. A little trickles down to the gamekeepers. And thus into local shops. But most of it is profits for millionaires.

I hope it's different in Africa and some of that hunting money does get spent on conservation.

But yes, I absolutely agree, I wouldn't mind so much of they were at least eating what they shot. But the ones round here just come out, shoot some tame pheasants and grouse and deer at point blank range because the animals have all been hand reared and are completely tame and just stand around the feeding points on the firing ranges, and then they get back in their range rovers, go home, and boast about how manly they are.

It's pathetic.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

I get that but why is that? Because it's super profitable? If it wasn't then the money would come from elsewhere..

Look, this "because money/the environment" argument is utter bull#.. if people ACTUALLY gave a flying # about that they could just donate the money they would have spent to the national parks etc over there.. it's a pathetic excuse and totally dishonest... I'd rather people just said "I like killing things because it makes me feel powerful" or "I have an inadequate member and it makes me feel better about it" or "mummy didn't love me enough" or whatever the hell is motivating these people.. pretending it's because you give a # about the animals you're killing is some seriously ridiculous mental gymnastics...

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

You mean for making it more enticing to go on these hunts? I can't imagine why.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Nope.. nothing fake about it.

I'm not blaming the US for the hunt. That blame lies with the hunters .

I'm blaming the US for condoning and encouraging it by making it more attractive and profitable for it's citizens.

ETA: Actually, to be more precise, I'm blaming the current US government, not the US as a whole. There will be many US citizens that don't want people importing the dismembered corpses of endangered animals into their country either but, guess they're stuck with it just the same..

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

And?? You could already hunt them, just couldn't bring them back to the states. I don't see an issue with the change.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLead

And?? You could already hunt them, just couldn't bring them back to the states. I don't see an issue with the change.

Then why bother with this change?

link   

The folks saying that somehow it helps the animals and environment etc.. you know what would actually help the environment WAAAAAAY more? Killing humans.

So instead you want to see mass murder, gee how enlightened of you.
=================

I would never go trophy hunting but the law was a stupid one, pulling it has zero real effect.

link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
I don't understand the logic behind this? What legitimate reason could there possibly be to lift this ban??

The news about lion trophy imports come after Donald Trump's administration said on Wednesday it was going to lift the Obama-era ban on imports of elephant remains from the same two African countries.

The announcement was condemned as a "backwards step" by conservation charities, which warned elephant numbers were sharply declining due to poaching and a reduction in their territory.

www.independent.co.uk...

Never ceases to amaze me, the actions of this administration. Just when you think it can't go any crazier. Lions have been designated endangered by the FWS. I can't find any justification for this. None. But hey maybe I shouldn't be too surprised given the history of the Trumps and trophy hunting:

Truly disgusting.

I suppose by Trump's warped way of thinking, nobody can now criticise any of those types of hunters out there like Donny and Olly...A whole new meaning to, 'Conservative' don't you think, in other words. WTF is it that they are conserving?

I tell you what, he'd better watch out for those real consevationists, they are an extreme bunch in getting their message over.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

I would never go trophy hunting but the law was a stupid one, pulling it has zero real effect.

Again, then why bother with the change?

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Nope. Don't want to see that either.. I was clearly making a point that "but it's good for the environment" is a ridiculous argument.

Sorry if you missed that point. I thought it was fairly obvious but.. apparently not..
edit on 17-11-2017 by Indrasweb because: For spelling

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

are you against pulling a useless law... or against it because trump pulled an Obama law?

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   

What legitimate reason could there possibly be to lift this ban??

Because it was enacted under Obama.

Period.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   

I am going to guess you have little to no experience when it comes to dealing with animal herd size as people encroach on their territory?

Do you know what happened when Wolves were reintroduced to yellow stone?

By culling the herd you encourage growth, you also limit the chances of people being killed by the predators.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   
PEOPLE are EASY to hun't ...ANIMALS I like better.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: intrepid

are you against pulling a useless law... or against it because trump pulled an Obama law?

A law that probably stopped a lot of hunters from going over there to hunt animals. I mean if they couldn't bring their trophies back with them, then why would they go over there.

Are you for pulling this law because of Obama?

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   
So does this mean poachers in Africa are back in business ?

Being able to sell high-demand exotic animal parts across the pond, once again ?

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: thesaneone

You mean for making it more enticing to go on these hunts? I can't imagine why.

How's the big game hunting in Canada?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join