It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First look: Tesla Semi

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
Tesla's the wave of the future. Stocks might still be attractive... and it's destined to become a household name. Boy don't some cities, states and locals feel stupid now ? Denying Tesla license to sell was quite the blunder as they sink into oblivion as progress steamrolls them.

Tesla is what history will remember being the company that started the ball rolling. What will happen is that the big traditional car makers will come in and make it impossible for Tesla to compete. GM, Ford, Mercedes, Volkswagen and a host of others are are pouring billions into a switch from the internal combustion engine to electric. The government trend seems to be outlawing gas power in consumer cars over the coming years. I really don't see Tesla competing with that.

I predict that mass production will eventually put Tesla out of the car building business. They'll become a tech and engineering company.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: LogicalGraphitti

Tesla is what history will remember being the company that started the ball rolling.

Really ?

An electric car from 1895 from British Engineer Thomas Parker.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

they are replaced like most of the josb that humans do that robots can do better and more efficiently

and you dont need to pay them so savings are made by the corporations etc.

meaning massive unemployment the world over on jobs which do not require a college diploma or university degree

link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

My wife is completely onboard to get one so I'm halfway there, now I just need to figure out how to pay for one

Sell the wife?

Jking aside. I like it but the rear hatchback look kills it for me.

link   
a reply to: alldaylong

I think they meant in terms of mass production and bringing clean , cheap , renewable technology to the consumer

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti

Tesla's the wave of the future. Stocks might still be attractive... and it's destined to become a household name. Boy don't some cities, states and locals feel stupid now ? Denying Tesla license to sell was quite the blunder as they sink into oblivion as progress steamrolls them.

Tesla is what history will remember being the company that started the ball rolling. What will happen is that the big traditional car makers will come in and make it impossible for Tesla to compete. GM, Ford, Mercedes, Volkswagen and a host of others are are pouring billions into a switch from the internal combustion engine to electric. The government trend seems to be outlawing gas power in consumer cars over the coming years. I really don't see Tesla competing with that.

I predict that mass production will eventually put Tesla out of the car building business. They'll become a tech and engineering company.

This is most likely how it will play out. Tesla is burning cash like they're using it to heat the factory: $1 billion cash burn just this last quarter. They've only ever had one or two profitable quarters, and those were purely from the sale of tax credits. Musk is a visionary, but his business acumen is decidedly second-rate. At some point, Tesla is going to run out of money and go bankrupt.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Kashai

Maybe I missed it, but how much does the truck and trailer weigh without any payload?
Or how much can it haul?

He kept talking about the ability to haul 80k lb , but is the 80k lb payload or battery pack,lol?

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Makes perfect sense, this. 190k is about double the price of a Diesel tractor unit and trailer, but the savings in things like fuel, servicing and pollution taxes ought to make up the difference pretty quickly.

If they can make it carry the same 20 odd Tons that a standard truck does then I think they are on a winner. The charging en route should also fit with the mandatory breaks UK drivers must take too.

I can't see a down side.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I race off road RC cars too. I was an early adopter of racing electric 1/8th scale before the big RC car companies started making purpose built kits. We'd convert Mamba Max ESCs to run 4s-6s lipos and were using airplane ESCs and batteries with custom built battery boxes. Fires were a big deal as the LIPOs were unstable. It seemed like a car went up in flames or ESC got smoked almost every weekend. This was like 10 years ago.

Things are far more stable now and the technology much more robust.

I see full size cars playing out much like electric 1/8th scale did. At first, all the nitro guys were indignant. I remember showing up to a race and everyone of them though electric cars were slow.... until we showed them the brutal acceleration since you have 100% of torque at basically 0 RPM. The double double jumps became a quad for the electric cars.

After ridiculing us, then they started crying electrics racing with nitro was unfair since we didn't need pit stops and could accelerate faster. About the only advantage was nitro could run 30 minute or longer mains while the electrics are stuck running 10-15 minute mains.

Tesla approached the market right because they highlighted the insane electric performance and styling recognizing that driving a car is also about the intangibles. The legacy manufacturers focused too much on range and economy which for most car buyers is lower down on the list. Now with Tesla's popularity, people are becoming more accepting of electric cars and the differences.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker
What happens to truck drivers when these go automated?

Who cares? I mean the truckers do they will all losse their jobs so i guess retrain and work elsewhere. A benefit will be Less accidents, less carbon emissions and more savings on the consumer end because we don't have to pay a person to drive. However, I doubt it will happen untill all modern autos are automated because human drivers are to unpredictable. The big question we should be asking is what the economy is going to look like when everything is automated.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Cool truck, looks like something out of robocop. the future is electric.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

The same was said, and similar financial profile, about Amazon, for the same reasons, for many, many years.

Musk engineered a successful company making rockets, which is a stunningly difficult business, with most serious ones all government subsidized one way or another---ULA and Arianespace for sure. And they have technical capabilities none others have, 1st stage reuse.

Tesla sure won't be the only electric vehicle company left standing, but it will be one of them. The accumulated knowledge on battery management and self-driving software is substantial enough to attract large capital or re-investment.

I don't know about the fate of current shareholders, but Tesla in some form will be successful.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   
No roaring engine, no fury, traction control...ect. Even if electric cars could fly you to the moon, they will never replace the the spirit of the muscle car!

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti

Tesla is what history will remember being the company that started the ball rolling. What will happen is that the big traditional car makers will come in and make it impossible for Tesla to compete. GM, Ford, Mercedes, Volkswagen and a host of others are are pouring billions into a switch from the internal combustion engine to electric.

They've been doing this for many years, and yet Tesla's still here and one of the biggest sellers of EV's. How many years since the launch of the Model S, and where is the strong head to head competitor from Daimler, BMW or Lexus? That doesn't usually happen---in every niche there is significant contemporaneous competition from multiple vendors.

The existing car companies have their own problem---they have an institutional dependency on the profits and structure of conventional vehicles, but Tesla is entirely focused on its niche.

Take an example: I drive the most innovative non-Tesla EV, the BMW i3. It's as remarkable in its own way technologically and industrially as the Teslas (carbon-fiber & polymer body on aluminium subframe, serial hybrid regeneration) and came from its own 'i' division which Thought Differently. And it turns out that this was a problem, there were internal factional fights inside BMW and now that path will be abandoned, and their future will be making conventional vehicles on a conventional platform and stuffing batteries in a few of them. The old guard who made the 3 and 5 series the ordinary way won.

That's a recipe for making uncompetitive EV's as expensive compliance cars.

The government trend seems to be outlawing gas power in consumer cars over the coming years. I really don't see Tesla competing with that.

Seems the other way around---they are ready.

There will certainly be vehicles branded "Tesla". The corporate entity may split into a design, engineering and branding and manufacturing one with different capital structures & investors.
edit on 17-11-2017 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Unless they're going to radically overhaul the hours of service for us, there's no chance in hell of this thing selling well. We already have a required 30 minute break, and then we're guaranteed to lose another 30 minutes, this on duty which hurts our hours, it's going to affect loads being delivered on time and hurt the drivers.

And yes, it won't need a driver, eventually. They have a long way to go before they're even close to self driving trucks taking over.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Trucks like this are designed to weigh 40, 000 lbs. and to haul 40,000 lbs. so that probably what they mean.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Kashai

Our truck, with an older, heavier trailer, full fuel, DEF, and reefer weighs in around 35-36,000 pounds. With a brand new trailer, it's slightly less. Our maximum cargo weight, under our operating agreement is 45,000 pounds. If we pick up a slip sheet load, we can realistically carry 44,600.
edit on 11/17/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
Unless they're going to radically overhaul the hours of service for us, there's no chance in hell of this thing selling well. We already have a required 30 minute break, and then we're guaranteed to lose another 30 minutes, this on duty which hurts our hours, it's going to affect loads being delivered on time and hurt the drivers.

Pardon for the ignorance (I don't know the business works) Why wouldn't you take your break while it's charging?

If there is sufficient economic motivation---and substantially lower operating costs are a big motivator---parameters and expectations of the business can change. A couple of hours later for 35% lower costs is a tradeoff some will make.

Perhaps the truck will be swapped out with a freshly charged one and the driver & cargo continue on their way with that one? And self-driving is most mature for long-distance highway in well maintained corridors. Perhaps there will be train of trucks, with a human driven one in lead and automated ones following behind?

The main impediment will be the infrastructure to support very high power DC charging---the rest of operations & driving rules could adapt.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
I race off road RC cars too. I was an early adopter of racing electric 1/8th scale before the big RC car companies started making purpose built kits. We'd convert Mamba Max ESCs to run 4s-6s lipos and were using airplane ESCs and batteries with custom built battery boxes. Fires were a big deal as the LIPOs were unstable. It seemed like a car went up in flames or ESC got smoked almost every weekend. This was like 10 years ago.

Things are far more stable now and the technology much more robust.

I see full size cars playing out much like electric 1/8th scale did. At first, all the nitro guys were indignant. I remember showing up to a race and everyone of them though electric cars were slow.... until we showed them the brutal acceleration since you have 100% of torque at basically 0 RPM. The double double jumps became a quad for the electric cars.

After ridiculing us, then they started crying electrics racing with nitro was unfair since we didn't need pit stops and could accelerate faster. About the only advantage was nitro could run 30 minute or longer mains while the electrics are stuck running 10-15 minute mains.

Tesla approached the market right because they highlighted the insane electric performance and styling recognizing that driving a car is also about the intangibles. The legacy manufacturers focused too much on range and economy which for most car buyers is lower down on the list. Now with Tesla's popularity, people are becoming more accepting of electric cars and the differences.

My dad was sponsored in the 80s, got me into it around 13yo, until I went to college. We both basically stopped then. He raced onroad back when, then we both raced carpet oval, and then off-road. All 1/10th scale except when he raced a while ago (1/6th).

Off-road was basically the same experience for us... Had guys acting like they were the crap, then got their butt whooped in open practice.

I miss it...

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

Because, if charging is considered fueling, which it technically is, then you have to be on duty not driving. That means that not only are we losing an additional 30 minutes, it affects our 70 weekly clock every time it gets charged.

With my current truck, if I fill the truck, even if I run it down to a quarter tank, the DEF, and the reefer, I'm looking at, at most 12 minutes, usually less. Even at 80,000 pounds, I average close to 1200 miles on a tank, and with the DEF, have a remarkably clean emissions system.
edit on 11/17/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join