It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New FCC Rules Mean One Company Can Now Own All the Media in Your Town

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Sweet, I’ve always wanted North Korean style single-entity run media. Do you think we’ll get Conway on TV every night scream-crying about the greatness of Glorious Leader Donald?
This is too much winning and swamp draining for me to handle.

New FCC Rules Mean One Company Can Now Own All the Media in Your Town

Original

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Fine by me, because, media is B.S. now.

If you believe it, you deserve it.

Meanwhile, the rest of us, will be busy creating our own decentralized media, we already have a decent foundation to work with.

Can't teach old dogs new tricks, and besides, no dogs allowed, only humans.

We will take our planet back.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: MrPlow

One of the problems with main stream media is that it is already owned by so few corporations. We can thank Reagan for a lot of that.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tranceopticalinclined
Fine by me, because, media is B.S. now.

If you believe it, you deserve it.

Meanwhile, the rest of us, will be busy creating our own decentralized media, we already have a decent foundation to work with.

Can't teach old dogs new tricks, and besides, no dogs allowed, only humans.

We will take our planet back.

"Fine by you". Wow, really?

Centralized control shuts down your 'decent foundation' too, you know.

But you know that already. So throw your computer overboard theres no-one here but MSM.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Wrong,

Problems only create / force solutions.

I don't live in a world of " can't "

I live in a world of " do "

That's what our future looks like too,

those who use the knowledge we have to do

and those who just say they can't.

That is basically what I mean.

Don't be a victim, be a solution.

One more thing... Blockchain ISPs

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Tranceopticalinclined

Censorship becomes total under tyranny.

We get tyranny by letting them shut down two way discourse in the open.

Your secret network will become criminal, punishable by prison terms or worse.

Even though freedom of the press is already controlled, I prefer to resist now instead of later.

Fighting later is too late.

link   

6 huge corps already do, almost.
These 6 Corporations Control 90% Of The Media In America
www.businessinsider.com...

link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Wrong. That was Bill Clinton and Al Gore:
en.wikipedia.org...

Campaigned to get it done. Signed into law. And they did a victory lap.

Now where the hell is Trump on this new BS?!?!

And why is the FCC allowed to set the rule where Congress + POTUS were the ones that had to make it happen in 1996??

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Tranceopticalinclined

A free decentralized press should be included into the bill of rights.

There should be certain streams of information that no government propaganda can direct or influence, even during times of war.

There should be protection from monopolies in media in any form due to the danger of their actions affecting the dissemination of the factual truth.

An active effort to lie by media should be more penalized as high crimes against the state. (Or against humanity if warranted)

edit on 11 16 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Not wrong. Reagan's deregulation splurges set the stage. Clinton moved it along.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   

What a poorly written crybaby article

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

You have some context to go with those sweeping generalizations?

Reagan was crooked as the rest of them, but what I see is under his tenure Bell was broken up and under Clinton's it was put back together -Bill's hands personally on it- and then some.

en.wikipedia.org...

I'm squeamish of the "regulations" concept not because mega crop's need to be kept in check, they do, but generally what I see come from them is small businesses / upstarts getting the SQUEEZE where it doesnt bother the big boys too much. Instead its usually their own agenda, if anything, after all the chips are down.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   
This is why I dislike people who beat me to a story, not a single bit of information, facts, or data on what regulations were scaled back and which industries are affected.

The regulations they change simply made it easier for a company to own a broadcast station and newspapers in the same market. Of course the cover story is that this has to happen because newspapers cannot compete in the digital era and the shuffle for ad-revenue needs to take into consideration most people get their news from behind a screen today in 2017.

One of the conspiracies behind this is that it may be tied to Sinclair media takeover attempt of Tribune media and the head of the FCC could be trying to make this happen with these scaled back regulations. I wonder if you even read any of the actual source content, because what you described and what is happening is not the same thing.

In any case, for those who want to know which broadcast tv and radio stations as well as newspapers are owned by what companies in your market, simply head on over to the The Columbia Journalism Review: Who Owns What and find out exactly who owns your favorite radio station or newspaper or television broadcaster.

I know that Sinclair media has been on the radar of a certain diluvian around here. Perhaps he has some more information to add?

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
What kind of context are you looking for Ig. The context of the recession of the early eighties and Reagan's promise that the problem was that corporations were to constricted by federal regulations? His whole ''trickle down'' stuff, that if we left the corporations to control their own destinies that their attendance to the hidden hand of the market place would propel them to greater things and that all the money they would make with less regulation would float all boats?
And what happened was rather than all the trickle down the money just stayed at the top so that the biggest of the corps would just buy out smaller guys? You don't remember all of that?

I could google or yahoo or boomboom shaboom scads of things from that time chronicling the changes that were swept into place, among which was, like a cherry on a sundae, Clinton's betrayal of honest liberal concerns when he signed that telecommunications act.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   
FCC is not your friend hasent been for over 30 years. this all started back in the 80's when the fairness doctrine was repealed and then in the 90's when clinton introduced the telecommunications act. id suggest really researching how that was proposed, what it was supposed to achieve, and how we were told something that was 180 degrees from the truth. bring back the fairness doctrine and lets also obliterate the FCC

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

One of the problems with main stream media is that it is already owned by so few corporations. We can thank Reagan for a lot of that.

and clinton for carrying out the plan to its fullest extent, birds of a feather no matter D or R

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   
There needs to be a Gofundme for an ATS news channel.

Talk about heads spinning around lol.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TheScale

Slick Willy, that's what some of us used to call him. No classical liberal there at all. I held my nose and voted for him once over another term of Bush and all we got was another eight year extension of the Reagan Bush agenda until BOOM, back into another eight of bush.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I hope the company that rules my town will keep the TV signal strong and the Internet throughput high.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

We could always do a segment like NLBS used to do under the ATS banner. With permission of course. I'm considering doing one myself, I just got to talk to the guys at PrimeCut Pro and see if they are down to give me a hand with the editing and video and all that's #. They use really nice cameras.

Most of the important news on ATS is pushed into oblivion by the new TMZ tabloid standard that is focused on gossip and other juicy non issues. Does this sound interesting to anybody, a few of my IRL buddies have actually recommended I do this as well as I continually update them on important news they had no idea was even going on!

Not that I would be any different from any of the thousands of other people who already do this with their own youtube channel, but at least I could fly the ATS banner if allowed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join