It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keystone Pipeline leaks 210,000 gallons of oil in South Dakota

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

I'm there with ya.

Big oil doesn't care about this spill. They are trying to mitigate the fines. You slap a $100,000 per gallon fine on this and you would see no leaks, ever.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a gallon of oil spilled..in my opinion is way to much.
we have been trained by continuous spills that thousands of gallons are ok.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: shawmanfromny

That is not a "huge" leak. Less than the 660,000 gallons in an Olympic swimming pool.

Losing 210,000 gallons is one HUGE leak!

Not large at all. They will clean it up, pay the fines and improve the operations.

The first two phases have the capacity to deliver up to 590,000 barrels per day (94,000 m3/d) of oil into the Mid-West refineries.[4] Phase III has capacity to deliver up to 700,000 barrels per day (110,000 m3/d) to the Texas refineries.[12] By comparison, U.S. oil production averaged 9,400,000 barrels per day (1,490,000 m3/d) in first-half 2015, with gross exports of 500,000 barrels per day (79,000 m3/d) through July 2015.[13]
en.wikipedia.org...

That much crude can ruin a lot of land. I have seen what oil can do to land. That field area is toast, I hope that the guy gets a lot of money for his land to replace future production. It stinks for many years too in those areas. I saw a spot where about a five hundred gallons had leaked out. not much grows there. I have seen the water supply of a whole small community screwed up by leaky gas station tanks. Everyone was forced to drill deep into the rock to over two hundred feet to get decent water. My mothers house was one of those that was effected twenty years after the leak was fixed. Everyone's water for about a half mile smelled like benzene.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

That is not a "huge" leak. Less than the 660,000 gallons in an Olympic swimming pool.

So, if the quantity of oil spilled is less than a full Olympic swimming pool, it's not considered a large spill?

-dex

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

yes

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Ok.

Is 1/3 of an Olympic pool a small or medium sized spill?

-dex

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   
There's probably more oil than that in Wal-Mart's parking lots.

210k gallons ÷ 4177 Wal-Mart's = 50.27 gallons each

Add in sams clubs. 606 of them

210000k ÷ 4783 = 43.90 gallons each.

Fun with numbers!

edit on 16-11-2017 by Bluntone22 because: Stupid auto correct

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: elementalgrove

Trump is a real POS for moving this forward.

Native land needs to be respected now more than ever and this BS is directly from his executive orders.

It is criminal for more reasons than one.

Hate to break it to you but that part of the pipeline was constructed during the mighty Obummers term in office. Trump merely approved the Texas part that extends to Houston.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cancerwarrior

Native land needs to be respected now more than ever and this BS is directly from his executive orders.

Hate to break it to you but that part of the pipeline was constructed during the mighty Obummers term in office. Trump merely approved the Texas part that extends to Houston.

Appreciate the correction! Obama is a bigger POS, so this is no surprise!

However the sentiment remains the same, for this could repeat in Texas.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: elementalgrove

I worked on that pipeline as a surveyor for a number of years.

I've seen firsthand what leaks of various kinds do to wetlands and creeks like are in SE Texas. Not good stuff at all. And it's not sweet crude or anything it's dirty bitumen oil that takes a lot of refining to process, and makes lots of waste doing so.

I've seen creeks with even a small natural gas leak and there not even be pond skimmers living on the water.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
There's probably more oil than that in Wal-Mart's parking lots.

210k gallons ÷ 4177 Wal-Mart's = 50.27 gallons each

Add in sams clubs. 606 of them

210000k ÷ 4783 = 43.90 gallons each.

Fun with numbers!

The typical Wal-Mart Super Center is about 210,000 square feet.
210k gal / 210k sf = 1 gal/sq ft.

Imagine a 1 gallon jug in the center of every one of those 12" x 12" tiles on the floor of the store.

Or, if we empty all those jugs out on the floor. It would cover the entire floor to about 1-1/2" deep.

And the place would smell even worse than it already does.

-dex

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 12:14 AM
link   

This is the older pipeline they were saying needs to be replaced. Apparently they were right if welds are blowing out. Part of the renovation was to stop using an older segment from 2010 and they are wanting to replace it with a new line. I figured there was something wrong with construction or they wouldnt be pushing for a new line.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Oil comes from the ground. Naturally.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Its oil, not hair spray. Blame Big Oil, not Trump.

Tar sand oil too. Particularly nasty stuff.

As the report explains, tar sands oil is thicker and more acidic than lighter conventional crude, and this ups the likelihood that a pipeline carrying it will leak. Complicating matters, leaks can be difficult to detect. And when the oil does spill, it is far more detrimental to sensitive water resources. Evidence of the latter was the billion-dollar-plus Kalamazoo, Michigan, disaster of 2010, which energy company Enbridge admitted was a tar sands spill only after NRDC questioning.

nrdc.org

Am I mistaken or was it his executive order that pushed this forward?

Project has been in the works for years. He announced the already executed plan.

Trump isn't the wizard behind the curtain in the land of Oz.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 05:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
Oil comes from the ground. Naturally.

Carbon is sequestered under ground, naturally.

Until man digs it up, spills it into rivers, dumps it into the sea, burns it, polluting the atmosphere, and spreads it around on the ground in parking lots and roads.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 05:03 AM
link   

If your backyard swimming pool was filled with oil, you'd choke on the fumes, be arrested for polluting, fined for cleanup, the pool would have to be pumped dry and buried.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 05:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Any mention of possible Sabotage ?

Exactly my first though. It's a perfect way for opposers to say "see, we told you so!". Which, they are.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton

originally posted by: xuenchen
Any mention of possible Sabotage ?

It's a perfect way for opposers to say "see, we told you so!".

More acidic, higher temperatures and pressures, Tar sands oil pipelines are more prone to leaking.

And guess what...

they told us so.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 06:25 AM
link   
No big deal. They're going to use elephant trophies to clean it up and plug the holes.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Yes a small spill.

You can fit many of your little spills in this.

Now imagine all that water spread out a centimeter thick. It's not the Exxon Valdez, but it is going to have a wide impact that won't be obvious until spring.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join