It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Icelandic Movies

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I was just checking out the pictures that were in zosimov's thread and thought I'd share these EXCELLENT (in my opinion) series and movies that are, "Icelandic".
Some are actually in their language, most are English sub-titled though. I was NEVER-EVER a fan of foreign movies, especially those that have sub-titles, (Don't they all?) but these changed my mind on that, I watch a movie sub-titled and within five minutes I am completely unaware of it.
The below list is in no particular order, with the exception of Fortitude, for me and my wife, that is the best of the list, I wish I could forget I watched it so I could see it again, I loved everything about it.
Yeah, I do realize that this may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I promise you that if you watch some of these you'll at least agree that they are either very original or they are just really good entertainment.

I don't know how, plus, I can't post YouTube video trailers, I apologize, but hopefully IMDB's links will help you out with what you need.
I will say that I watched Fortitude and Trapped on Amazon's Prime, it's their new series.

Fortitude
________
(One of the best series I have seen to date, I LOVE this, it has two seasons so far, hopefully more, but, maybe not)
Perched on the edge of the Arctic Circle, Fortitude is one of the safest towns on earth. There has never been a violent crime here. Until now.
This series is possibly hard to follow at first, actually, you have to pay really close attention to it or you could get lost, it's a very tight script, it's ALL explained at the end of course, and very well too, I might add, but still, pay close attention...
One more thing, the first season is the big winner for me, it's a stand alone series really, the second season is similar, but it's a new story, for the most part. They are intertwined by the people in the stories, but if you missed the first one you wouldn't need it. Or, vice-versa.

These two people make this series, the rest of the actors are good and very memorable too though.
Richard Dormer
Sofie Gråbøl

Dennis Quaid is in the second season, he's not even the main star, but I guess they figured that they needed him, they really didn't. He was still really very good in it though.
www.imdb.com...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Trapped
_______
(While I really liked this, it's not quiet the same as, Fortitude, but it's close, it's still really good though)
In a remote town in Iceland, Police desperately try to solve a crime as a powerful storm descends upon the town.
www.imdb.com...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
ANYTHING with Mads Mikkelsen in it! This guy can really act =)

Men and Chicken

Adam's Apples

The Green Butchers
Svend and Bjarne work for a butcher in a small Danish town. Fed up with their boss' arrogance, they decide to start their own butcher shop. After dismal beginnings, an unfortunate accident happens ...
www.imdb.com...

Flickering Lights

The Salvation
In 1870s America, the fury of a notorious gang leader is unleashed when a peaceful American settler avenges the death of his family. Then as his cowardly fellow townspeople betray him, he is forced to hunt down the outlaws alone.
www.imdb.com...

edit on 16-11-2017 by recrisp because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: recrisp

Wow, I'm so glad you posted these, they sound so excellent I'm looking forward to watching them!

Great job on the thread, and your descriptions made the movies sound so appealing.

Thanks recrisp!
I'll post my impressions here after watching.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   

The Green Butchers

I watched this ages ago. Brilliant movie

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov

Wow, I'm so glad you posted these, they sound so excellent I'm looking forward to watching them!

Great job on the thread, and your descriptions made the movies sound so appealing.

Thanks recrisp!
I'll post my impressions here after watching.

I can't say where I found each one, but I did begin to look after watching Fortitude and just searched for, "Icelandic movies" and found them.
I have Amazon Prime and Netflix, I also have Kodi, so while I am for sure that Fortitude is on Amazon Prime, I can't swear to the rest. =)
Thanks, and I hope that you enjoy watching them.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

The Green Butchers

I watched this ages ago. Brilliant movie

Yes it was, and if you liked that, I am pretty sure that you'd also like some of the rest, they were just so refreshing for me, not the Hollywood average repetitive crap at all.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Loved Fortitude.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson

Loved Fortitude.

Are you hoping for a third season?
I ask because it could be canceled and I wouldn't care, they take seasons way too far in my opinion most times.
Don't give anything away if you answer. =)
There are things that I'd like to say but can't. heheh

Honestly, I miss Fortitude so much that I think about the characters in it still to this day more than I should, I'm either insane, or, insane, my wife is too though. =)

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Some good movies/shows in amongst those, but are you sure they're all Icelandic?

The director of Men and Chicken, along with Mads Mikkelson and the other lead actor, are all from Denmark.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Thanks for bringing these to my attention! I’ll have to check them out.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   

I'm not sure it needs another season but I'd watch it for sure. They'd have to come up with some more story lines though.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Thanks for this!

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Great thread and something I have been thinking about posting myself. Unfortunately the majority of those movies are either Swedish or Danish, save for Trapped (which is all Iceland) and Fortitude (which is part Icelandic) Some of my favorites are here.

Nói Albínói: www.imdb.com... - A great little gem right here.

Sódóma Reykjavík: www.imdb.com... He had one mission, get a new remote ctrl. What could possibly go wrong?? A crazy trip down the dark worlds of Reykjavík.

Skytturnar : www.imdb.com... - these two friends only wanted to party...welp!

Englar Alheimsins : www.imdb.com... a dark (but funny at the right times) tale of manic depression. Brutal movie.

Næturvaktin : www.imdb.com... - The nr1 funniest tv show in Iceland. You will be saying JÁ SÆLL! after watching this one like you got payed for it.

Black's game: www.imdb.com... A crime thriller that happens around the millenium and follows a newcomer to Reykjavík as he steps up in the drug world. A really fresh take on some events that actually happened in real time (minus the main character)

Löggulíf (and all the life movies) www.imdb.com... - two idiots sign up for Police. Classic in Iceland. From 85 and has aged badly but that's part of the charm too.

Everest - www.imdb.com... This one might come as a surprise but it has an Icelandic director and a lot of Icelandic people made the movie.

I'm probably forgetting a lot and I will return and add some more here, once again, great thread!

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: AbdulAlhazred

Some good movies/shows in amongst those, but are you sure they're all Icelandic?

The director of Men and Chicken, along with Mads Mikkelson and the other lead actor, are all from Denmark.

I knew that someone would catch that I didn't know what I am talking about! =)
Actually, I did think of this later after I got offline, I was wrong.
What I was thinking was that I was so excited about watching Fortitude that I went looking for other movies and in my search I found the others.
I ended up searching for, "Icelandic movies" because in my search I saw that Google suggested that, so I went with that. I honestly didn't know what was Danish, German, or "Icelandic", so in my little mind I 'assumed' that everybody in the world is Icelandic! =)
My main goal was to let people know that Fortitude was a good series. The other stuff is also very good, so I just lumped it all together.

Mads Mikkelson was in one of the 'suggestions' either on IMDB or Google, I recognized his face somehow, I've never seen him in a movie that I am aware of, but watched one with him and was really, REALLY impressed with his acting. That all just lead me to look for other stuff in my "Icelandic" world, and anyone now that doesn't live in the small town I live in is automatically Icelandic. It makes sense to me. heheh

I'll be back later to reply to others, I just need to go eat breakfast.

Thank you for your help, I really do appreciate it.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Lolliek
You're welcome, if you watch any, please let us know. =)

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson

I'm not sure it needs another season but I'd watch it for sure. They'd have to come up with some more story lines though.

My thoughts too!
I'd love it if it were, but for reasons I can't say, I hope not. In other words, I know they can come up with the storylines, but it's the people I'm concerned with.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Doxanoxa
You're welcome!

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Verse
Great thread and something I have been thinking about posting myself. Unfortunately the majority of those movies are either Swedish or Danish, save for Trapped (which is all Iceland) and Fortitude (which is part Icelandic) Some of my favorites are here.

Nói Albínói: www.imdb.com... - A great little gem right here.

Sódóma Reykjavík: www.imdb.com... He had one mission, get a new remote ctrl. What could possibly go wrong?? A crazy trip down the dark worlds of Reykjavík.

Skytturnar : www.imdb.com... - these two friends only wanted to party...welp!

Englar Alheimsins : www.imdb.com... a dark (but funny at the right times) tale of manic depression. Brutal movie.

Næturvaktin : www.imdb.com... - The nr1 funniest tv show in Iceland. You will be saying JÁ SÆLL! after watching this one like you got payed for it.

Black's game: www.imdb.com... A crime thriller that happens around the millenium and follows a newcomer to Reykjavík as he steps up in the drug world. A really fresh take on some events that actually happened in real time (minus the main character)

Löggulíf (and all the life movies) www.imdb.com... - two idiots sign up for Police. Classic in Iceland. From 85 and has aged badly but that's part of the charm too.

Everest - www.imdb.com... This one might come as a surprise but it has an Icelandic director and a lot of Icelandic people made the movie.

I'm probably forgetting a lot and I will return and add some more here, once again, great thread!

Thanks for ALL of the links, I was unaware of all of these!

Whether I can find these are not still remains to be seen, but I will try.

As I am sure you must've already read that I don't know much about anything pertaining to anyone or anything that doesn't live in my Zip Code, sooo... =)

Those look like you may know a thing or two about all of this, and I am very happy that you replied.
I'll try and hunt for these and hopefully I am somewhat successful, I know a lot that I looked for I couldn't find, like, "The Bridge", I did find the U.S. version but I wanted the original.

So I don't look 100% stupid I will say that I knew that some of the actors in certain movies were speaking German, or a language that derived from it. =) It doesn't matter, I just was really happy to have found these, for me it actually opened up a whole new realm of actors and movies that weren't stolen from another country and remade in the U.S.
Although I am a U.S. citizen, born and bred I can now possibly enjoy movies and some series that are originals. Being so foreign film illiterate before, now I am like a little baby just taking his first steps in the 'normal big people world', I guess.

Thanks again for your links, I will definitely try my best to find those and watch them as soon as I can.

I hope that if you have the time that maybe you can make your thread that you were wanting to do, that way it wouldn't be tied to extreme craziness and idiocy like mine is. heheh
You can sure place them here but you might prefer to make your own, the main thing is to let us know what you have, I am sure that a lot of people would find it helpful.

A pro tip:
Do not name it with, "Icelandic Movies" in your title, you will look like an idiot!

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I know this doesn't count as Icelandic but Tom Cruise filmed the movie Oblivion there. From what I understand if you've been to the country you'll recognize a lot of the locations.

As far as the movie goes, it's no sci fi classic but worth watching if you want a couple hours of mindless entertainment.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: RomaSempre
I know this doesn't count as Icelandic but Tom Cruise filmed the movie Oblivion there. From what I understand if you've been to the country you'll recognize a lot of the locations.

As far as the movie goes, it's no sci fi classic but worth watching if you want a couple hours of mindless entertainment.

I sure didn't know that, I do remember it being strange looking in the movie though, no way that I'd have figured that out though.
It wasn't a blockbuster but it sure was good enough to watch, I know that I enjoyed it.
I do not care for Tom really that much, but he can do some pretty good acting, (sometimes) I really enjoyed, "Edge of Tomorrow" for some reason, maybe it was because of Emily Blunt. =)

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I've watched "Fortitude" about a dozen times. I love it. I agree that "Trapped" is also good. I'm hoping both will do new seasons.

"The Kettering Incident" is set in Tasmania, but it's also very good. Also, "Tin Star" with Tim Roth is interesting. Set in a small Canadian town. BEAUTIFUL scenery.

Forgot "The Man in the High Castle". A bit depressing, but a good story.
edit on 11/17/2017 by Lurker1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join