It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado doctors claim baby boy is first marijuana overdose death

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

im with you

when you google the 1 doc name you get these stories and then a doc from PA but this dude is from colorado

the other one comes up as a doc in the state. doc for 12 years

i still call bull#. i dont believe thc killed the kid but i am not a doc.
even if it did kill the kid i dont see what the problem is and why anything has to change.

when i say i dont see the problem i mean i dont see why the issue is the grass. the issue is mr and mrs dumb ass that #ed up. could have been a million things. accidents happen. they happen with prescription drugs and hot water and guns and blankets and falling and a million other things.

i dont see how anything should have to change in the mj industry because of this.
all of a sudden now we are going to be flooded with the but the kids bull#

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: HarryJoy
a reply to: TinySickTears

Yes I do realize and agree that accidents are going to happen no matter what type of guidelines are established..... I guess the most important thing is trying to find some way to counteract the effects of a THC overdose if there is a way. And also to well-publicize the potential negative effects of the Cannabis concentrates and what if any ways there are to counteract any overdoses ( more than is beneficial ).

The other factor is...we're always trying to make something better and more powerful and cannabis is no different....for decades now it has been bred to have higher and higher levels of THC which I personally don't think is a good thing.

i agree with the entire top part.
i dont agree with the bottom.

i think it is a good thing because with it being various levels of legal and being able to get it from a dispensary you have your choice and you know what you are getting.
not everyone wants the strongest #. some people want the super mild #.
same with edibles. there are some low doses out there.
this way we know exactly what we are getting and we have a choice

up until recently you made your own eats or you bought it on the curb. might have a choice of a few. still wont know what the strength is other than they will say 'remember that # i gave you last week ____ its nothing..(thank you katt)

it is going to be on the street no matter what. we all know this. not getting rid of it.
who cares if it gets stronger? as long as the content is known whats the problem? i am an adult. i like choice.

i dont like my choice being demonized when the majority of the world has not much of a problem with drinking. you have low content and high content #. different delivery methods. beer bongs and shotguns and # like that.
accidents happen and sometimes innocent people and even gasp. children get hurt or worse but the substance is regulated and sold to adults. we hope they will all be responsible.
i would like my choice to have the same basic options and regulations.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: research100

it is a stretch to say the weed killed the boy

I didn't say it did.

But the doctors who are involved here have developed a hypothesis. It could be that the THC could only kill THIS boy, and no other, save for rare instances. Though I have to agree that there could be other factors involved.

edit on 16 11 17 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
They just outlawed using Gummy Bears for consumables in Ca.

I can see a kid ODing if they ate an entire bag of 100mg.

The flower in raw form...No way

It's funny they did the same thing in Canada and banned shapes like gummy bears and robots and other things supposedly appealing to kids. Blocks are acceptable though. Just for fun I asked my friend's 8 year old son if he had a choice between gummy robots, gummy bears and gummy blocks which would he pick. He happens to be a big Minecraft fan, like a lot of kids, so without hesitation he immediately said the gummy block.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   
One single case in the entire history of human consumption of marijuana is not evidence of anything, it's just coincidence.
If it was physically possible to overdose on marijuana and die, I guarantee you that all of the super-wealthy anti-marijuana groups like big pharma would have been dosing chimpanzees to death by now just to blast it all over the media.
You can't overdose on marijuana. If the child died because of a heart problem, it died because of a heart problem... And could have died just the same from so much as walking up the steps, if it even survived infancy.
This story is like stabbing someone in the heart right after they drank a Coke and then claiming the Coke made their heart stop.
edit on 11/16/2017 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
There have been many children poisoned and seriously ill from eating brownies and other "treats".

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64
a reply to: seattlerat

So drinking too much WATER is more dangerous than OD'ing on pot.

Got it

Actually, if you take the number of deaths (or even direct bodily injuries cause from the substance, not the stupid person) from each, water intoxication is more dangerous.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

... but no deaths... ever.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy
There have been many children poisoned and seriously ill from eating brownies and other "treats".

Poisoned from the marijuana or from other ingredients in the brownies? If you make a claim, you really should say where you get your information from.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT
We have started encountering this more and more here in California. The core problem is the edibles. A toddler is not going to roll a spliff, however, the brownies that are tasty can be consumed in great quantities.

We have not seen any fatalities yet but its a matter of time.

Also we are reaching out and getting as much info from our colleagues at Denver Children's as despite 22 years a PICU/Peds Transport nurse THC toxisity is a new one for us.

I'm also a peds nurse, in Colorado.

It's not as common as you're portraying it to be in your post. At least not here it isn't.

Your comment "We have not seen any fatalities yet but its a matter of time" is a bit dramatic as well.

No offense, but there are still ZERO documented cases of a human death being caused by cannabis.

And, by the way, "Denver Children's" doesn't exist. It's called Children's Hospital Colorado...

edit on 16-11-2017 by lovebeck because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
Pardon my ignorance, but aren't the biochemical processes and physiological differences in small children like this one different enough when compared to older children and adults? Would it not stand to reason that children of this age could be affected similarly to dogs?

There are some differences in the aspect. The main one being body mass vs an adult. An adult knowing a brownie is 'special" will hopefully limit how much they consume. A child not so much. They will eat them until full which can be many. They can have 75% less mass than an adult but may take much more.

there are also metabolic differences as well relating to liver function, enzyme levels etc as well.

They tend to get higher doses for the reasons outlined above (mass and consumption) AND cant metabolize it as well.

Plus as we have seen in my practice parents often blame other factors first not wanting to admit the screwed up. We are going to find out one way or another. We got a kid whos mom faked a chloride gas exposure instead of fessing up which is an immediate intubation scenario. Fortunately she came clean before they did this

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: lovebeck
I'm also a peds nurse, in Colorado.

It's not as common as you're portraying it to be in your post. At least not here it isn't.

I never said Its common I said we were seeing it more and more. Ive transported 3 here in Nor Cal in a year.

Your comment "We have not seen any fatalities yet but its a matter of time" is a bit dramatic as well.
No offense, but there are still ZERO documented cases of a human death being caused by cannabis.

This who thread is about one possibly and again. THC put into food and left unsupervised around kids means its just a matter of time before we get one in CA.

And, by the way, "Denver Children's" doesn't exist. It's called Children's Hospital Colorado...

You got me there I must of mixed it up with Phoenix's Childrens Hospital

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

So there are valid potential reasons why these doctors think toxicity from the ingestion of marijuana could have contributed to or even cause the death.

In your opinion, based upon what you’ve seen and what information you have regarding this incident, do you believe that these doctors have any reason to suspect marijuana to the exclusion of other factors? If yes, do you think it is the THC itself doing this or other chemical compounds found in marijuana like myrcene?

edit on 16 11 17 by projectvxn because: improper grammar

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   
So you are telling me they showed you the DNA results for what you purchased?

originally posted by: peter vlar

originally posted by: visitedbythem

a reply to: visitedbythem

The dispensaries around my area would argue with you on that.

Go talk to the good folks at Blum about where they get their weed and whether it's GM or not.

The dispensaries don't know anything, the breeders do though.

I've got to disagree with that. Most of the dispensaries I visited when I was in Denver last month were extremely knowledgable regarding the products and their point of origin including grow conditions.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   

a reply to: FredT

So there are valid potential reasons why these doctors think toxicity from the ingestion of marijuana could have contributed to or even cause the death.

In your opinion, based upon what you’ve seen and what information you have regarding this incident, do you believe that these doctors have any reason to suspect marijuana to the exclusion of other factors? If yes, do you think it is the THC itself doing this or other chemical compounds found in marijuana like myrcene?

Myrcene is the terpene that gives a mango flavor

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Sounds BS AF after reading it.

2ndly WHO TF is giving a baby pot?

3rd Prove Marijuana causes inflammation.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

It reduces inflammation, it's impossible for it to cause it while reducing it.

As far as the op is concerned, This story is hyperbolic at best.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

Myrcene is the terpene that gives a mango flavor

It also has sedative effects. Indica vs. Sativa: What Gives Indica Its Sedative Properties? - High Times

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   
The story should be about HOW this 11 month old got this marijuana in his system and what happened to the parents.

I don't doubt for a second that large amounts could kill an 11 MONTH old baby.
Why would that be so shocking to people in the first place?

What is shocking is that
A) This was 2 years ago.

B)No mention on how the BABY (because an 11 month old is A baby)
got the pot in it's system. (Breast feeding mother perhaps)
(unless I missed that somewhere)
Edibles maybe?

It is a questionable incident though, and poorly written statements seem to cast doubt on the cause of death,
but still....

An 11 month old with marijuana in system...
Terrible!!!

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

Since marijuana legalization, pediatric exposures to cannabis have increased.1 To date, pediatric deathsfrom cannabis exposure have not been reported. The authors report an 11-month-old male who, followingcannabis exposure, presented with central nervous system depression after seizure, and progressed tocardiac arrest and died. Myocarditis was diagnosed post-mortem and cannabis exposure was confirmed.Given the temporal relationship of these two rare occurrences – cannabis exposure and sudden deathsecondary to myocarditis in an 11-month-old – as well as histological consistency with drug-inducedmyocarditis without confirmed alternate causes, and prior reported cases of cannabis-associatedmyocarditis, a possible relationship exists between cannabis exposure in this child and myocarditisleading to death. In areas where marijuana is commercially available or decriminalized, the authors urgeclinicians to preventively counsel parents and to include cannabis exposure in the differential diagnosis ofpatients presenting with myocarditis.

escholarship.org...

Ok...the RELEVANT point is

One more time...

the authors urgeclinicians to preventively counsel parents and to include cannabis exposure in the differential diagnosis ofpatients presenting with myocarditis.

How THIS ^^^^ got twisted into four pages of irrelevant opinions eludes me. If you're going to make a thread about a subject then use click bait as your only source instead of the original material, well, shame on ya!

I'm not seeing anything other than a common sense advisement to Doctors and others in the medical field that are unaware of unsuspecting complications.

GEEZE!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join