It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Two poison control doctors claim to have documented the first known case of death by marijuana overdose, sparking a medical debate over what killed an 11-month-old baby in Colorado two years ago. The case report was published in the journal Clinical Practice and Cases in Emergency Medicine and is co-authored by a pair of doctors at the Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center, which is housed at Denver Health. The doctors behind the case report, Doctors Thomas Nappe and Christopher Hoyte, worked on the baby’s care as part of their duties at the regional poison control center. They claim that damage to the child’s heart muscle, which was listed as the boy’s cause of death, was brought on by ingesting marijuana. This is the first news story in which either of the doctors publicly discussed the case that was published in a medical journal in March of this year.
“The only thing that we found was marijuana. High concentrations of marijuana in his blood. And that’s the only thing we found,” Hoyte said. “The kid never really got better. And just one thing led to another and the kid ended up with a heart stopped. And the kid stopped breathing and died.” The case report makes what amounts to a very bold statement in the scientific world, “As of this writing, this is the first reported pediatric death associated with cannabis exposure.” If correct, the phenomenon Dr. Hoyte claims to have documented would remain the only time a marijuana overdose is known to have caused a human death. Other doctors are deeply skeptical of the strong language used in the report.
Both published accounts of this case clearly state that the autopsy shows that the 11-month-old boy died of myocarditis (inflammation of the heart muscle) which caused the heart to fail. The Nappe/Hoyte published case study takes the diagnosis a step further, theorizing that the myocarditis was caused by cannabis overdose, which then caused the baby boy’s heart to fail. Join now for as low as $29 / yr Subscribe Now That diagnosis of this heart condition is at the core of the medical debate over this case study. Myocarditis is rare in children, and can often be fatal when diagnosed. In children, fatal myocarditis is usually caused by a virus called Coxsackievirus. The authors of the case report say that virus was ruled out in this case.
originally posted by: visitedbythem
I would need to know if the child received any of the mandatory multitude of shots kids are forced to get.
We will begin to see deaths in the future, after Monsanto starts playing with Cannabis DNA.
originally posted by: ColeYounger
“The kid never really got better. And just one thing led to another and the kid ended up with a heart stopped. And the kid stopped breathing and died.”
These are the words of an M.D.???? I have never heard a medical doctor talk like this. "One thing led to another", "the kid ended up with a heart stopped". The guy sounds like a moron.
Of course the case will be used as a reason to demonize marijuana. It's shocking that there are still people (like Jeff Sessions) who think marijuana is evil, and compare it to heroin and such.
Other doctors are deeply skeptical of the strong language used in the report.
“That statement is too much. It’s too much as far as I’m concerned,” said Dr. Noah Kaufman, an emergency medicine specialist based in Northern Colorado. “Because that is saying confidently that this is the first case. ‘We’ve got one!’ And I still disagree with that.”
Both published accounts of this case clearly state that the autopsy shows that the 11-month-old boy died of myocarditis (inflammation of the heart muscle) which caused the heart to fail.
originally posted by: notsure1
a reply to: visitedbythem
We will begin to see deaths in the future, after Monsanto starts playing with Cannabis DNA
Damm I never thought of that before. Reading that kinda bummed me out.
originally posted by: underwerks
If a baby ingested a large amount of extract, who knows. It can't be good. My question is is this something the baby could have accidentally found on its own? Can babies crawl at 11 months?