It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dark Side of LED Lighting

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Well DUH.

THat's why you get HUE lights and tune your bulbs to whatever COLOR you want.

ADDED BONUS: They're "smart" so you can turn them off like star trek.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier
Mercola is a quack.

Mercola is more a messenger so he's kind of irrelevant here, but he's no more a quack than most big pharma MD drones. If you read the article carefully it has studies from Harvard medical and many more as well.

www.health.harvard.edu...
edit on 16-11-2017 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I am going to be installing a POE video surveillance system at my house coming up (already have the product at home). I think that the difference there, though, is that you're assuming that the power will come from our incoming internet provider cables versus running from the home's native power.

My cameras will be powered from the DVR to which they will be connected, not through internet lines. Just because it is the Cat5 cables that supply the power doesn't mean that it affects anything concerning my home network or the internet.

In your instance, maybe if a house is wired completely as a "smart home" and uses the home network for power and control, I could see your concern, but if we are just talking about replacing standard residential wiring with Cat5 cables that just run power from the fuse panel, it won't affect the internet.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Realtruth

originally posted by: grey580
a reply to: Realtruth

He is probably onto something.

However this can probably rectified by using some filters to keep the harmful part of the light from reaching us.

Unfortunately it appears that filters don't work. What we need is a full spectrum light source.

While cool LED bulbs emit more blue light than warm LED bulbs, the label “warm” can be deceptive. They give out a warmer “looking” light because the blue light is masked with a yellow or orange filter, but they do not emit a red wavelength.

So uh I guess people who have been welding for decades should technically be insane or blind or what ever this scientist is proposing.

It's nothing new, fluorescent lighting has a much, much lower cri rating from what I found. And the average led bulb is 97.
I think this science man is creating unneeded bad news.
Filters can work.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Those little Ethernet cables are easily one of the most versatile available. They are incredible!

Nice secure, physical connection, relatively inexpensive, easy to rewire for everything from data to speakers, and even in their common use the most recent standards are fast.

I have used them in LED installs with no network connections at all

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I smell a trial lawyer funded study.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Well, my post was a little bit tongue-in-cheek, but knowing how cheap some entities are...just wait.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

i have a couple of lamps i bought . they came with LED lights i them. after the second day i was getting tired of the light, it just wasn't the same as i had before. i went out bout some yellowish lamp shades to replace the white ones the lamps came with. i had no idea the light was bad on my eyes but i did know i didn't like it.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

That makes more sense...it didn't seem like it fit with your relatively well-though-out comments that you usually post.

My apologies for the relative overreaction.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   
CFL (Compact fluorescent) is the norm here in the Netherlands. They contain mercury, unlike incandescent. They also have the ballast integrated. Bad idea and a double point of failure unlike strip lighting which is also common here. Starter and bulb/lamp are 2 separate units.

Full-spectrum lamps do exist. I saw one years ago but it was either 600 or 1200 watts. Not exactly something for the living-room.

ETA I have seen the blue car lamps that seem to burn a retina too. Awful things.
edit on 16/11/17 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I don't like LED lights. I really miss being able to buy incandescent bulbs everywhere. There's only a few places I've found that still sell them. Mostly dollar stores. LED lights hurt my eyes and give me a headache even with shades on them.

I've also had bad luck with halogen bulbs. For some reason they seem to always break where the metal part and the glass join. Really cleanly like it was cut or something. The last halogen bulb I had in my house was in my bedroom. The light broke above my head and almost landed on me and the uncovered element stayed lit in the socket. I don't know if it's a problem with the electrical in my house or not but it's happened with every halogen bulb I've purchased no matter the brand.

Compact fluorescent bulbs just scare me. I don't like fluorescent lights as it is I don't like the idea of having light bulbs in my house that are classed as hazardous waste when they're used up.

I don't understand why there was such a strong push to move away from incandescent lighting. It's the simplest possible lightbulb, doesn't require toxic chemicals to produce and the light from them has been fairly unharmful for over a hundred years.

I don't mean just looking for alternatives but at least herr they've banned the production of 60 watt incandescent bulbs. It might seem crazy but I thinl 'alternative' lighting is being pushed more for their disruptive qualities to our well being than for energy savings. Especially here where all our electricity comes from renewable sources and we produce enough to sell to other places.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   
If you don't like LEDs bring your own table lamp and place it on your office desk.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth I have been thinking about this for the past ten minutes and thought of a solution that could've solved this years ago. Maybe we should've kept going to the Moon for H3 to power the nuclear power plants so that way we can afford incandescing bulbs...

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88 I believe the powder in a old bulb is actually toxic. I could be wrong but that is what I have been told by my dad. He caught me throwing them at a target that was wet so I could practice my aim.....with a lightbulb lol

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
a reply to: dug88 I believe the powder in a old bulb is actually toxic. I could be wrong but that is what I have been told by my dad. He caught me throwing them at a target that was wet so I could practice my aim.....with a lightbulb lol

Ya I think so too but you could by bulbs without it l. I usually just bought clear bulbs.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   

When these kids grow up they are all going to be blind and deaf. Some are already showing hearing loss from overuse of headphones at a high volume.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: dashen
Take the time to notice how most of Television programming and video games is 90% blue and 10% yellow

That was something I noticed 10 -15 years ago, all the movies shot in a blue hue everywhere. I hate it, it's depressing to look at and it's very unrealistic. Those blue car headlights; first time I saw a pair of those I nearly wrecked from being confused by them. They are ridiculously bright and make everything else go dark due to the extreme glare. They ought to be illegal.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

If the LED bulbs you have truly bother you, I would suggest looking into the plethora of different LED options out there. Its almost literally a "death by choices" scenario.

You may not find much at big chain stores (and what you do find will be horrendously priced), but there are a lot of different choices available.

I'm also not surprised shades didn't improve things much. Most shades just don't work like that, unless there are ones that specifically block the offensive wavelengths (do note, it might -not- be blue for everyone). There are other options that might work too, like gel filters. I've never personally tested it, but it might do the trick.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   

He's a little behind the times on LED technology, there are indeed RGB LED's that emit red light by use of phosphor on the diode. Our company has already launched LEDs that are targeted for plant growth which cannot have heavy blue spectrum photometry.

ETA: The color you're going to see recommended by many medical studies moving forward is going to be 35K, these are slightly above your typically Edison-style lamp and slightly below older fluorescent lamps.

edit on 16-11-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: 👁️ 💓 🧀 🍕

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88 But the clear ones never left a mark on my target lol I was very young and wanted to be a pitcher on my team. My logic was that that would help me get there. But no

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join