It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Da Vinci painting of Christ sells at 450 million

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   
This painting sold for 10,000 in 2005 and not even sure if Da Vinici painted it.
www.yahoo.com...

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: teraform

Hope the tossa dies as soon as it arrives.

i'm fed up with these types of people. I'm trying to get myself some cash so i can go places and you get these idiots showing off with their millions. oh... 'who can buy the most stuff for highest price' idiots

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
That's how you know you have too much money. Half a billion dollars for a painting, WTF? They could have used that money in so many better ways. Selfish is what it is in my opinion.
edit on 11/16/2017 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   
There is so much about the painting I'm thinking what does that crystal sphere represent.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Jesus also has a very feminine looking neckline, collarbone structure and hands. In fact the face doesn't seem to go with the body at all, almost as if it was "pasted" on top of the original face.

Da Vinci was very cryptic with his paintings. You might enjoy THIS thread.
edit on 11/16/2017 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Nearly half a billion for a really, really good fake?

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
That's how you know you have too much money. Half a billion dollars for a painting, WTF? They could have used that money in so many better ways. Selfish is what it is in my opinion.

If a private citizen wants to blow $450 million on a painting, why do you care? It is their money. How do you know the person buying it isn't a benefactor of a museum and seeking to preserve the painting? You do realize a lot art in museums is privately owned right or only possible because somebody put up the money to obtain it so it can be preserved.

Yeah, if I could blow $450 million on a painting there are probably other things I'd want to do with more visible impact on my fellow citizens, but who is to say the person who bought isn't already doing so?

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   
That's one marginally 'need to have' painting. I don't care for it aesthetically....

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

You seem to be a big defender of rich people and big business around here. Spending half a billion dollars on a painting is wasteful and pretty dumb. I would hope you'd be able to see that.

If you've got half a billion dollars to spend on a painting then you have way too much money. That half a billion could have been spent on much more beneficial things than putting a painting in a glass case to just sit.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I see Bette Davis myself...

On topic: I guess we'll just see more of these ridiculous prices as more and more wealth is diverted into fewer and fewer hands.

The ultra rich nowadays are really becoming an endangered species.

One day soon just one person will control at least half the wealth, what will we call that guy?

Oh and also, nice way to move hideous amounts of money around with little more than a "cos I liked it" for a reason.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   
This one sold at the same auction for $46.4 million lol

This one sold at the same auction for $46.4 million LOL

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I wouldn't pay that much for the actual Jesus.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: Edumakated

You seem to be a big defender of rich people and big business around here. Spending half a billion dollars on a painting is wasteful and pretty dumb. I would hope you'd be able to see that.

If you've got half a billion dollars to spend on a painting then you have way too much money. That half a billion could have been spent on much more beneficial things than putting a painting in a glass case to just sit.

People and society spend a lot of money on things that are dumb or show very little return for the money spent. We can sit here all day coming up with examples and pointing out how that money could have been used for something else.

The issue is that is simplistic thinking.

Capital in private hands gets spent on all kinds of things. It is not up to anyone except the person whose money it is to decide how their money is spent. Whoever bought this painting decided it was worth the money. My guess they are just looking to store some of their money in a tangible asset. You do realize that there are way to keep your wealth besides having it in a bank right?

Mark Zuckerberg dropped $100 million on NJ public schools and it didn't produce one shred of benefit. Many times the problems we see are not necessarily solved by more money.

As I stated, if I could piss away $450 million, it probably wouldn't be on a painting. HOwever, my assumption is this really just an asset management strategy moreso than a guy buying a painting to hang on his fridge.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Why does he have crossed fingers in the painting..
What was the secret

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider
Why does he have crossed fingers in the painting..
What was the secret

Typically it's okay to tell a fib with fingers crossed.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   
DaVinci Last Supper had secret meaning behind it,I'm sure this one does also.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Wow, I didn't know Jesus rocked the soul patch AKA the flavor saver. I have a whole new respect for him now.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

For many years the ultra wealthy used artwork as a tax shelter. They would buy it, hold on to it, donate it to a charity, get some kind of write off, I forget the whole speel but they did it with LLama farms too. They are starting to crack down on it but there must still be some loopholes.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   

*shrugs*

If you got it, spend it!

Wonder if they'll hang it in the living room or the crapper?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join