It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil ban. Are we there yet?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Oh, I get it! This is an anti-gun rant! With no more oil, our guns couldn't be cleaned and would jam after shooting a few rounds through them!

I see what you did there...

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: NightFlight

Good thing they have non-petroleum based bio-lubricants.

(disclaimer: I've never tried this so I have no clue if it really works)

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Tesla Motors has just unveiled it's new semi truck. It runs on hydrogen, charges a battery, it is fully electric, has a KERS braking system, 1,000 mile range, and is zero emissions.

nikolamotor.com...

Love the guy or hate the guy, it is a start.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   
While we may be moving away from petroleum products in vehicles ... we are a long, long way away from removing petroleum-based products from the market entirely.

Some people are probably completely unaware of just how extensive and varied petroleum products really are.

Even so, I'm not even completely convinced that "oil" is somehow inherently evil. If, say, our gas based vehicles got thousands of miles to the gallon (I know, I know), I think the conversation would be much different.

Like with so many things, it may not be the item itself, but how we use it.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

144 Products Made From Petroleum And 4 That May Shock You

To me, the problem is when people act like none of these items can be replaced with non-petroleum derived versions. A lot of those items existed in various forms long before the modern discovery of petroleum, like paint, dyes, perfume, curtains, dresses, etc. And other commonly known petroleum based items like lubricants & plastics have non-petroleum derived versions, which I've already mentioned in this thread (and that doesn't even go into biofuels).

Even if we only replaced half of the demand for petroleum, that would still change geopolitics permanently. There's nothing that says we'd have to get rid of 100% of all petroleum usage. We just need to reduce it enough so that our foreign policy is no longer dictated by it.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Almost all manufactured goods are made using oil.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   
just for a second forget about all the products that require fossil fuels and their byproducts to create and tell me where we would get the power alone for society to continue to function. cant be solar cause thats reliant on fossil fuels to be sustainable, cant be nuclear imo cause that has its own sever environmental issues and hazards, cant be hydroelectric cause we just dont have enough dams and reservoirs, so that leaves us with fossil fuels atm.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TheScale

Before we burn Oil it was burning Coal. But, coal was seen extremely unclean.
edit on 22-11-2017 by makemap because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join