It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pre-op transgender woman is suing Mass. over placement at male prison

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
A pre-op trans is hoping to be the first women with male genitalia to be housed in a women's prison. She has lived as a women for 40 years, has been on hormone therapy and has experienced a terrible time in a male prison.

Being assigned to an all-male prison was traumatic enough. But a transgender woman incarcerated at MCI-Norfolk says she has been subjected to groping and taunting by male prisoners and correctional officers who routinely harass her because she identifies as a woman.

Now, the 52-year-old prisoner, who has lived as a woman and received hormone therapy for nearly 40 years, is suing the Massachusetts Department of Correction in a bid to force the department to move her to the state women’s prison, MCI-Framingham.

If successful, the lawsuit, filed Wednesday in US District Court in Boston, could make her the first transgender woman to be housed with other women prisoners in Massachusetts, said Jennifer L. Levi, director of the Transgender Rights Project at GLBTQ Legal Advocates & Defenders.
www.bostonglobe.com... ign=bdc:globewell:trending&s_campaign=bdc:globewell:trending

The problem start with the prisons making the call on male/female prison using the innee or outee rather than what the person says or feels they are. Can anyone see any problems with convicted criminals deciding what sex they are?

Massachusetts, like most states, typically assigns inmates to prisons based on their anatomy, not their gender identity.

The lawsuit also would like the transgender women to be treated like other women and called her female name. And this is a push for transgender prisons to segregate the transgender individuals in.

The lawsuit asks prison officials to treat transgender women like any other women. That means addressing the prisoner by her female name and relocating her to MCI-Framingham so she will not be strip-searched by men and physically exposed to men on a regular basis.

The case is part of a growing national movement by advocates for transgender prisoners. In recent years, prisons across the country, pressured by lawsuits, have agreed to provide hormone therapy and other medical treatments, and are weighing whether to accommodate prisoners who want to buy makeup at the commissary or wear long hair.

The women is serving a 3-4 year sentence for non violent drug offense. Just another king pin that the war on drugs has caught and is incarcerating./sarc
What a stupendous waste of time and money.

edit on 15-11-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   
If he has been living as a "woman" for 40 years, what's taking him so long to have the surgery?
The "pre-op" in your title is deceiving.....after 40 years, I don't think he is going to take the plunge permanently.
edit on 15-11-2017 by RazorV66 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-11-2017 by RazorV66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I'm confused. Guy has a d*ck, wants to go to a women's prison, is that right?

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   
He is not a woman ---- never has been, never will be.
I could have been "living as" a half human,half Vulcan belly dancer for the last 40 years --- but that would not make it real, just a delusion on my part.

He should be in the male prision, and come to grips with reality and stop living in "fantasy land".

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

I think the whole thing is crazy.

Non violent drug offense? 3-4 years.

But back to the story, I didn't know what the proper classification would be to get the point across that she still has a male organ.
It is a tricky thing this is.

Let me lay down a scenario.
A male lifer decides to go trans for a time and demands hormones and 6 months later demands a female prison.

Wonder what happens next?

edit on 15-11-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
A pre-op trans is hoping to be the first women with male genitalia

I'll take 'Sentences I never imagined I'd read' for $400, Alex. Seriously? This is how far down the slippery slope of ridiculous BS we've slipped as a people and as a culture? The man broke the law, the man has a penis and testicles and therefore should serve his sentence in a male prison. That's logical, it's fair, and dammit all, it verifies that we're not all here just to coddle the emotional and intellectual whims of a people.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

What!?!?

Someone got unwanted physical attention in a prison?!?!

Never heard anything like that......sarc.....

Whatever it is,it didn't go to prison for just a little drug crime. This is not the first crime committed by this individual.
Repeat offender or probation violation probably.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

We could end up with prisoners calling their own sexes and transferring to the "wrong" (if that is a thing anymore) prison.
That is if this women with a penis, yes a women with a penis, is allowed to upset the applecart and really start the party.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   
With the changing landscape of identities, its be nice for trans/gender liquid/whatnots give a little slack to the world while the dust settles.

They should have asked her before where she expects to go, and its up to the prison to accommodate or not.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66
If he has been living as a "woman" for 40 years, what's taking him so long have the surgery?
The "pre-op" in your title is deceiving.....after 40 years, I don't think he is going to take the plunge permanently.

Pre-Op doesn't mean you didn't have surgery, it just means he still has a penis. Most transgenders keep the penis even if they are on hormones and get implants -- so basically, you got a woman with a penis in a males prison, what do you think is going to happen to that person?

Raped non-stop.

Say what you will about transgenders, but you gotta know what the outcome of this is and it's wrong -- plainly.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

What!?!?

Someone got unwanted physical attention in a prison?!?!

Never heard anything like that......sarc.....

Whatever it is,it didn't go to prison for just a little drug crime. This is not the first crime committed by this individual.
Repeat offender or probation violation probably.

Regardless, should that mean non-stop rape and sexual assault for 2-4 years? I mean, if you say yes -- then you're a worse human being.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

40 years and he hasn't "cut the cord" so to speak? As soon as he does that, then he can be called she and live in a women's prison.
edit on 15-11-2017 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: seasonal
A pre-op trans is hoping to be the first women with male genitalia

I'll take 'Sentences I never imagined I'd read' for $400, Alex. Seriously? This is how far down the slippery slope of ridiculous BS we've slipped as a people and as a culture? The man broke the law, the man has a penis and testicles and therefore should serve his sentence in a male prison. That's logical, it's fair, and dammit all, it verifies that we're not all here just to coddle the emotional and intellectual whims of a people.

Not really.
You do know the euphemism "drop the soap", right? It refers to MEN RAPING MEN IN A SHOWER. It happens with the guards approval to look the other way.
WHY SHOULD MEN RAPING MEN EVER BE ACCEPTABLE BY SOCIETY?

If you want to see some scary stuff, read accounts of those on the inside.
Drugs, sex, it all comes in. No matter the size of the jail.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Kind of what I was thinking.

I wonder how many men got unwanted attention in a male prison?

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Well, it is a known fact that women's prisons are much better to be in than a men's prison. So all you guys out there, buy a few cute skirts, some booty shorts, some stripper heels and cute blouses if you intend to violate the law and go to prison!

If this kind of thinking takes off and I think I might get into law breaking, I am DRESSIN FOR SUCESS!

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

You're crossing issues. You're bringing an institutional issue to a discussion on the overall justice system. Prisons need to get a handle on the abuse of prisoners by other prisoners, but the system shouldn't change to accommodate individuals with grievances against the institutions.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Who knew Klinger was before his time? Put him in a prison show and he's accurate.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   
"How did you escape prison?"

"I identified as the Sheriff"

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

Taking reality from humor, if the dude had simply identified as a law abiding citizen... no problem, ya?

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

originally posted by: Jonjonj

40 years and he hasn't "cut the cord" so to speak? As soon as he does that, then he can be called she and live in a women's prison.

Far less rapey, I hear. If I had a sentence like that, yeah, clip me. I like to be able to use my lower intestine and not be raped.

It's funny that the United States brow beats how great they are, but imprison more people than most other nations, and has a culture where prison rape is accepted and by ATS people that have never been inside, supported.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join