It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Money Being Laundered thru Big Hollywood and Big Art

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

but a lot of people would be surprised at how much flows through innocuous industries like Hollywood.

Ok. How much flows through Hollywood?

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Actually money laundering through art is quite wide spread. Just Google it....there have been books written about it, CNN has reported on it in China, etc...it works because there is no specific dollar value that can be placed on the art....its all about what someone will either pay for it or what the owner says it's worth.

That could very well be true. I am not an art fan, so I pay little attention to the scene.

In the case of the OP, I'm not seeing what others are seeing.

And yes, I am one that thinks Tony Podesta has been doing this for a while.

Any hard evidence?

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

but a lot of people would be surprised at how much flows through innocuous industries like Hollywood.

Ok. How much flows through Hollywood?

You can't put a dollar figure on it... jeez man, it is an illegal activity. WTF?

Hollywood raises all kinds of capital from investors, it isn't unreasonable to think that some of that capital is illicit and being laundered. Again, if I got $20 million that I need to cover up, it is a lot easier to funnel it through Hollywood to make a film that might cost $100 million to make or buy some art for $20 million than to try to funnel that kind of money through a car wash.

You can't be this naive.

Embezzled Malaysian Funds Financed Movie "Wolf of Wall Street"

Heck, it is well known that many record companies are drug fronts or at least were started with drug money. Same concept.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Didn't realize OP already linked to Malaysian story...

Here is another though...

Movie Execs Charged in Money Laundering Case

Limelight Films seemed from the outside like so many upstart production companies in Hollywood: It had a Sunset Boulevard address, a connection to Tinseltown royalty and deals to distribute a small slate of low-budget films. But federal authorities have alleged that the film corporation was a front for an international drug-smuggling and money-laundering operation stretching from Los Angeles to Switzerland.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   

You can't put a dollar figure on it... jeez man, it is an illegal activity. WTF?

You made a very specific comment. I figured you had some numbers to qualify that statement.

Was just asking.

Hollywood raises all kinds of capital from investors, it isn't unreasonable to think that some of that capital is illicit and being laundered. Again, if I got $20 million that I need to cover up, it is a lot easier to funnel it through Hollywood to make a film that might cost $100 million to make or buy some art for $20 million than to try to funnel that kind of money through a car wash.

You can't be this naive.

Easier, I would agree. I was just wanting to see if there was any evidence and if it was common.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

'Masters' art is one of the best investments around.

Since it's called 'Savior of The World' Trump should definitely buy it.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Update on the DaVinci:

Leonardo Christ painting sells for record $450M

www.yahoo.com...

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Art? Most certainly YES.

Hollywood?

Duh. Haven't you heard of "Hollywood Accounting"

HERE. I'm feeling generous:

Hollywood accounting (also known as Hollywood bookkeeping) refers to the opaque or creative accounting methods used by the film, video, and television industry to budget and record profits for film projects. Expenditures can be inflated to reduce or eliminate the reported profit of the project, thereby reducing the amount which the corporation must pay in taxes and royalties or other profit-sharing agreements, as these are based on the net profit.

Wikipedia

They ALSO make crap-tastic movies that bomb at the boxoffice.

Intentionally

Why?

To post a REVENUE LOSS.

Did you really think some of those "romantic comedies" were being made because they honestly thought they'd do well?
edit on 15-11-2017 by DanteGaland because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-11-2017 by DanteGaland because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Update on the DaVinci:

Leonardo Christ painting sells for record $450M

www.yahoo.com...

WHOA!! More than 4 times the expected price! As usual, there is no revelation about the buyer.

Russian billionaire Dmitry Rybolovlev last bought the painting in 2013 for $127.5 million.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Actually money laundering through art is quite wide spread. Just Google it....there have been books written about it, CNN has reported on it in China, etc...it works because there is no specific dollar value that can be placed on the art....its all about what someone will either pay for it or what the owner says it's worth.

That could very well be true. I am not an art fan, so I pay little attention to the scene.

In the case of the OP, I'm not seeing what others are seeing.

And yes, I am one that thinks Tony Podesta has been doing this for a while.

Any hard evidence?

No hard evidence. Only theory. In his divorce from Heather they miraculously, after months of hatefighting over homes and art, came to a decision to be nice. Oddly they kept their "Heather and Tony Podesta Collection" together....and another oddity is how many pieces they have gifted to multiple galleries. They were/are top 200 collectors in the world....

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   
400 million???

how many people could it have been?

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
400 million???

how many people could it have been?

One of 1500 + billionaires in the world and for all the comments re the painting it wasn't just discovered it has been sold before one time for £45 apparently

edit on 17-11-2017 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Ya know, the Mayalasian Money thing might be tied in to what Q's been on about, I did a thread back in August 2016 about this when it first hit and lo and behold:

The Luxembourg newspaper Luxemburger Wort reported Thursday that it has emerged that at the end of June no less than 90 police, accompanied by prosecutors and a federal judge launched a massive raid on the headquarters of the private bank Edmond de Rothschild (BPERE).

The scale of the operation against a financial institution was unprecedented the paper explained and it was linked to the bank’s involvement in 1MDB, described as “possibly the largest money laundering operations ever uncovered in the Grand Duchy”.

90 Federal Police Officers Raided Edmond de Rothschild Bank! How Aabar Scandal Could Dwarf 1MDB
page: 1

A pre-storm event?

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical

Ya know, the Mayalasian Money thing might be tied in to what Q's been on about, I did a thread back in August 2016 about this when it first hit and lo and behold:

The Luxembourg newspaper Luxemburger Wort reported Thursday that it has emerged that at the end of June no less than 90 police, accompanied by prosecutors and a federal judge launched a massive raid on the headquarters of the private bank Edmond de Rothschild (BPERE).

The scale of the operation against a financial institution was unprecedented the paper explained and it was linked to the bank’s involvement in 1MDB, described as “possibly the largest money laundering operations ever uncovered in the Grand Duchy”.

90 Federal Police Officers Raided Edmond de Rothschild Bank! How Aabar Scandal Could Dwarf 1MDB
page: 1

A pre-storm event?

So much to ponder!!

I am especially interested in Richard Branson's connection....you know, Obama's bff.

Also, no wonder LdR has been going ape$#it crazy with her insults at DJT. She acts and talks like a demon that's been harnessed with its hands roped and tied.

Before the raid, the Chief Executive Arianne de Rothschild (see featured image) had brushed aside journalists and laughed smugly when assured by her associates that she and her bank were “untouchable”.

edit on 18-11-2017 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Paintings are used as playing cards of the elite. They are assigned values, get out of jail free for life, rape charge immunity, etc. If somone physically steals you're card, they can't use the power but for a short period determined by the card master. Whoever buys the card from the thief must pay 10% extra for every card crime committed by the thief during his crime allotment period. Those who lost and intend on purchasing the card contend in a 3 way battle with the thief, if the original cardholder can frame a pasty of the thiefs crimes during his allotment the card is returned to him by the card master. If the thief manages to hold the card until the end of his crime allotment the card is void and another is issued to the thief at random, the original holder is penalized as are any attempted buyers who failed to obtain the card during the thiefs crimes allotment period. .

Its called Crooks and Commanders

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdKiller
Paintings are used as playing cards of the elite. They are assigned values, get out of jail free for life, rape charge immunity, etc. If somone physically steals you're card, they can't use the power but for a short period determined by the card master. Whoever buys the card from the thief must pay 10% extra for every card crime committed by the thief during his crime allotment period. Those who lost and intend on purchasing the card contend in a 3 way battle with the thief, if the original cardholder can frame a pasty of the thiefs crimes during his allotment the card is returned to him by the card master. If the thief manages to hold the card until the end of his crime allotment the card is void and another is issued to the thief at random, the original holder is penalized as are any attempted buyers who failed to obtain the card during the thiefs crimes allotment period. .

Its called Crooks and Commanders

Interesting. Sounds like a high stakes game among elites. Fun to ponder, but I think it is more about money laundering and/or creative tax evasion.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I just came across this today!! (RE: 1MDB. Wth have I been??)

Their 2018 offering Billion Dollar Whale meticulously detailed Jho Low's alleged exploits and became an instant bestseller in Malaysia.

But Tom Wright and Bradley Hope have been investigating the 1MDB money trail for years at the Wall Street Journal.

"News stories don't typically go beyond 2,000 words and it felt like we were cutting out a lot of fascinating details [from the saga]," said Hope. "We knew people were having a hard time following the scandal and there was a bigger, more colourful story to do about Jho Low specifically."

Hope said their book crystallised how bad the scandal was for Malaysia.

BBC.com, 1MDB: The playboys, PMs and partygoers around a global financial scandal.

A-list celebs, a movie paid for, art purchased, supermodels, Brittaney Spears jumping out of a cake in Vega, yachts, jewelry, expensive vacations, million dollar dates, almost 30 mill in cash, several countries after him and the guy is still on the loose!!

Just look at the people involved and who they are seen around... seems Barak Obama likes Malaysian golf...

Big money, no over sight, a country unwilling to talk about it (or investigate it), and people like Low Taek Jho, willing and able to help spend billions of dollars... this is probably one of the craziest stories I have read!

Might have a new book to track down and read!

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 11:02 AM
link   
There have actually been a few actual cases of organized criminals laundering cash through Hollywood. The movies aren't great, but no questions are asked.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join