It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone got Tails? Linux

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Anyone try out Tails? How do you like it? I searched the forums for Computer Chat, but only found Computer Help. I don't really need help persay. Maybe a few questions. It is a live OS for use on a USB/DVD and can use persistant storage. So who is using it or something similar?

Tails, (The Amnesic Incognito Live System) for people who may not know is a super secure Linux OS that can be run from a flash drive, which means you can use it on any computer. Nothing saves on the host computer and everything is wiped upon shutdown. It is mainly used to browse the net anonomously. Much more effective than just using a VPN/Proxy. For even more security, you would use a vpn as well, and more.

It seems like a fun, neat little OS. Oh BTW, Tails is what Edward Snowden used to stay secure when doing what he did. Check it out if your interested in steps towards real secruity.

tails.boum.org...

edit on 15-11-2017 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-11-2017 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker I keep Tails on my USB on my key chain. Used it two times on my desktop in the living room to get a feel for it. Interesting OS to say the least.

:edit: The IT guy at my office was boasting about how secure out systems are. Then I asked him what about internal theft and he said the pc system won't allow for downloading therefore it can't be done. I told him about a few OS that can be put on a USB and bypass that. He came in a few days later and admitted our system can be accessed.
edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
a reply to: iTruthSeeker I keep Tails on my USB on my key chain. Used it two times on my desktop in the living room to get a feel for it. Interesting OS to say the least.

:edit: The IT guy at my office was boasting about how secure out systems are. Then I asked him what about internal theft and he said the pc system won't allow for downloading therefore it can't be done. I told him about a few OS that can be put on a USB and bypass that. He came in a few days later and admitted our system can be accessed.

Yea these little live os's, especially Tails, since it comes pre-configured with all of the extra security features, can be very powerful tools.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

Been using it for years! I was a Liberte` fan before it stopped being developed/supported.

I also set up a Whonix gateway for the fun of it, and put a NAT device behind the gateway for transparent TOR proxying. It is also secure from local malware on the Linux live system, since it would have to jump between device->NAT->pfsense firewall->whonix gateway->phone home to actually compromise the set up

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns

Been using it for years! I was a Liberte` fan before it stopped being developed/supported.

I also set up a Whonix gateway for the fun of it, and put a NAT device behind the gateway for transparent TOR proxying. It is also secure from local malware on the Linux live system, since it would have to jump between device->NAT->pfsense firewall->whonix gateway->phone home to actually compromise the set up

Nice! I did run into a problem just now. When I try to sign into a newly created email account, it wont let me and suspended it, probably because of whatever IP it is showing. So I tried another newly created email, a Gmail, and it wont let me in either. I am not using the internal mail system that talis has because I cannot get that to work yet, just trying to check mail through the Tor browser. What could be the problem?

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   

TS, are you using webmail or local SMTP/POP3/IMAP? I have had varying degrees of success using a local mail application, I believe with SMTP. I think you may be right about the webmail, perhaps Google doesn't like the rotating IPs every 10 minutes (or something like that!)

EDIT: Just finished reading that. So it seems webmail is indeed the issue. I frequently use those disposable Email services, and the darkweb itself has some good email providers. I don't think SIGAINT is up anymore, but there are other secure mail providers out there. I can U2U some if you want buddy

It is probably having issues with your IP changing. I am also unsure if TOR browser spoofs any info about the browser, like addons or max resolution to circumvent profiling but that could affect it too!
edit on 11/15/2017 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/15/2017 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns

TS, are you using webmail or local SMTP/POP3/IMAP? I have had varying degrees of success using a local mail application, I believe with SMTP. I think you may be right about the webmail, perhaps Google doesn't like the rotating IPs every 10 minutes (or something like that!)

EDIT: Just finished reading that. So it seems webmail is indeed the issue. I frequently use those disposable Email services, and TOR itself has some good email providers. I don't think SIGAINT is up anymore, but there are other secure mail providers out there. I can U2U some if you want buddy

It is probably having issues with your IP changing. I am also unsure if TOR browser spoofs any info about the browser, like addons or max resolution to circumvent profiling but that could affect it too!

Ah I would love the U2U with some other email providers! I tried Gmail, (pop and imap) I believe but for some reason it would never "connect". It very well could be not connecting for the same reason that it wont let me in manually from a web browser, because of the rotating IP's. (pretty neat btw, one minute im In China, then France, then unknown, etc.)

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   
If you want a solid email service to use with TOR IPs then you may like gmx.com. They don't let you make an account over a TOR address but once it's made (say from over a VPN after TOR, or from public wifi and on a clean device) you can log in and use it over TOR. Super simple account creation too.

As you may know, Tails has no persistence which means that you can't save anything related to settings such as bookmarks, desktop additions, software, etc. Once you shut down anything you've changed goes back to the original OS condition. It's really not practical (read infuriating) for anything but super secure, occasional internet communications (which it excels at). If you want something similar to Tails but geared more toward day to day use, I recommend looking into Qubes. Full disk encryption, Whonix/TOR, run multiple virtual Linux based OS choices at once for privacy (multiple online identities) and security, etc.

edit on 15-11-2017 by CraftBuilder because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I always use Tails when I browse the Tor network. Usually with a VPN as well.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilder

I've heard great things about Qubes. From Snowden, I believe. He was talking about the added layer of security that comes with running a virtual system. You're in a box inside of a box, and nothing is leaking through.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Just go buy a Raspberry Pi and throw Kali on it.

Lots more fun, and you can burn the entire thing in the fireplace and be out only like $50.

*shrug*

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: CraftBuilder
If you want a solid email service to use with TOR IPs then you may like gmx.com. They don't let you make an account over a TOR address but once it's made (say from over a VPN after TOR, or from public wifi and on a clean device) you can log in and use it over TOR. Super simple account creation too.

As you may know, Tails has no persistence which means that you can't save anything related to settings such as bookmarks, desktop additions, software, etc. Once you shut down anything you've changed goes back to the original OS condition. It's really not practical (read infuriating) for anything but super secure, occasional internet communications (which it excels at). If you want something similar to Tails but geared more toward day to day use, I recommend looking into Qubes. Full disk encryption, Whonix/TOR, run multiple virtual Linux based OS choices at once for privacy (multiple online identities) and security, etc.

I will check into this thanks. The Tails I am using, I have configured with persistent storage. I have just recently heard about Qubes during my searches. I have to say this whole thing is facinating, how it all works, etc.

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Gmail is no good with tor. Use Protonmail. It is accessible on the clear web and the onion.

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
The harder you try to hide yourself, the more obvious you are. You're like a guy in NYC on the sidewalk in a ghillie suit.

"No one can see me!"

Meanwhile everyone is walking by, wondering why some dude is dressed like a swamp monster in Times Square.

All of that heavy-duty privacy/net-sec stuff is certainly impressive and does have its place. But bells and alarms go off, as you'd be a fool to think using those products isn't watched. Hell, just downloading Tails puts you on a list. And you have to get it from somewhere to start...

Better to hide through obscurity and blend into the background crowd on the internet, or use throwaway devices like the aforementioned Raspberry Pi. Nice thing about them is they can connect to any TV/monitor with an HDMI port. Just pop out the microSD card with your OS, detach whatever monitor you have and toss the thing into a fire or vat of battery acid. Do this on a regular schedule and buy the Pi with cash or pre-paid debit cards from a gas station. Have the Pi delivered to someone else and pick it up from them.

MicroSD cards can be hidden just about anywhere, too.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies. I have heard of Qubes but I am new to Linux and hear it is not beginner friendly nor is Kali. I have no purpose really it is just fun to mess with.

Purplemur, thanks for the email provider. I will check it out. (and Craftbuilder with GMX).
I also found one called vfemail that I got to work in Thunderbird.

Kettu those RP's seem pretty neat, and I have watch a few videos on them, but don't know much about the technical side of them. It is something that also facinates me too, just the sheer amount of things/projects one can do with one. That and the older (i think) arduino.

new topics

top topics

join