It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emirates wants 10 year production guarantee before it commits to more A380's

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
The A380 is dying a slow death.

Well if you a niche product and one customer its kind of hard to dictate terms

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   
And here's an interesting twist in the A380 saga.
edit on 11/23/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I would like to know which bank or finance company is going to go against just about everyone else and take a punt with this...

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
And here's an interesting twist in the A380 saga.

That is interesting to say the least. Kind of like a Ryan Air concept perhaps.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Borys
a reply to: Zaphod58

I would like to know which bank or finance company is going to go against just about everyone else and take a punt with this...

They already did back when the A380 had a rosier future. They have 20 of them If I recall all waiting to go but no airline wants to wet least them.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Well, I guess if you mistakenly bought a couple billion dollars worth of aircraft noone wants to lease, you have to do something. On the other hand, I can't imagine there is enough overflow out there or AirBnB passengers to make this a winning financial proposition. Most carriers already have arrangements with other carriers for this sort of thing, and you'd have to have a lot of people going to a particular hub to make it worth the while to make a flight. What am I missing?

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

I think they re looking at charter vacations etc. Years ago on the west coast we had a wholesale vacation company called Sun trips. They were cheap in part because they used American Trans Air who was charter airline. They bought out the plane then resold the tickets as part of the vacation package. We took several trips in their L-1011's to Hawaii

Malaysian Airlines has park their A380 and now use them as charter aircraft for religious pilgrimages

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I'm just struggling to see an A380's worth of demand to a single location via AirBnB. It's the same economic question faced by everyone. Operation costs for the 380 are too high to sustain low-cost half-empty flights. And they're starting from scratch, employing thousands of people, investing millions and millions for operations, insurance, training, etc to generate competitive or unserviced flights in a crowded industry as often enough as they manage to mostly fill a plane. It looks like it could easily go sideways financially worse than just parting them out or parking them and hoping for a change in market conditions. This is like refusing to take a bad loss in Vegas, so you just start trying to bet "double or nothing" at roulette.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join