It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

360 Kinect as a Webcam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I'm trying to use my old Xbox 360 Kinect as a webcam with Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Skype and/or Manycam but cannot seem to get it to function correctly. I can get the Microphone audio to work fine but all i can see in the likes of Manycam or skype is white noise.

Windows is completely upto date I have the latest Kinect SDK, Kinectcam.ax files installed and in the proper place and have also enabled the Kinectcam.ax file via CMD window and DOS command applicable.

Can anyone help or are experiencing similar issue? Last time i set the thing up as a webcam was with Windows 7 and if memory serves it worked just fine.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

If you check out google you will find some good write ups on how to use the Kinect as a webcam...or even as a laser scanner for 3d modelling.

Type it in and see what uncle google has to say

Edit: my bad, I thought you were looking how to get it going for the first time.
But it seems like you know what you are doing.
All I can offer is the generic support lines questions:
Did you try unplugging it and plugging it back in?
Try resetting your router - unplug it for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Did that work?

edit on 13-11-2017 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Thanx for responding.

I've been using Google and Youtube but not having much luck. Which is why im on here really.

www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

Tried following the above fixes and solutions but not having any joy and still white noise.

I'm thinking it may have something to do with the video codex but still cannot resolve the issue, Skype and Manycan being updated to the latest version, same with the other applicable software.

Wondering if it might be a Windows 10 issue on there end?

It's not the router and i have reset the system after all applicable updates just in case.

edit on 13-11-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   

I'm literally shooting in the dark but maybe it will help someone else find the resolution.

It shouldn't be plug and play as it is made for the Xbox 360 which already has firmware for it. Try finding a 3rd party firmware as Microsoft made the kinect open sourced. (cool background story, they had a big project to control computers with your hands, the end result being the computers portrayed in minority report).

The kinect maps rooms first by default, so the first function it will try to do is cast the lasers to map what it's looking at, the video sharing services may be displaying that as white noise.

Again, just shots in the dark.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Shots in the dark are probably what is required really, as i think i have covered the basics.

I think Microsoft pretty much included all the necessary firmware and drivers when the updated to SDK 2.0, and it is, after all, a Microsoft device, but i suppose you could be right.

Think i need to find some other software that can see the thing as Skype won't even let me select any Kinect option as the video source yet is fine to let me select "Kinect USB audio" as an audio source.

Anyone any suggestion as to webcam software that can utilize the 360 Kinect and works with Windows 10?
edit on 13-11-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   

What about running a virtual win 7 off you comp?
I know a lot of windows compatible devices became useless as soon as win 10 was introduced to their comps.
I do a lot of aerial survey and rely on the windows mobile app on my comp, to communicate with my Trimble tsc3.
It worked like a dream with win 7. But as soon as win 10 downloaded itself onto my computer, it stopped working.
Took them 3 months to come out with a real fix asides from running a virtual win 7 OS off my comp.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Xbox 360 was windows 7 platform.

Xbox one however is windows 10.

I'd suggest getting a Xbox one line to (they're incredible) but the connector is specific to the Xbox one. The things you can do with it are incredible if you dive deep.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Is this any good?

social.msdn.microsoft.com...

Please see this thread on using kinect camera with skype:
social.msdn.microsoft.com...

The thread owner talks about using it with skype and has updated the file for beta 2. Skim through it to the 10th post and follow all instructions and updates up to 10th post and you should be good to go! resvr32 is a program for registering dlls and filters and makes his filter in the thread above make the kinect appear as a camera.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Never thought of running a shell of virtual Windows, might try that tomorrow and see if it produces any better results.

Cheers.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Ive got a PS4, so i dont really need an Xbox one, or can afford one with Xmas on the horizon.

The drivers for the Xbox 360 Kinect are included in the SDK 2.0. So Windows 10 is indeed recognizing the device, reporting driver upto date and no conflicts.

I think it could be a software issue, can anyone recommend a webcam utility that covers just about any video format, aside from Manycam?

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

That's pretty much exactly what i have done TheConstruKctionofLight. Still no joy, AMcap will let me select Kinect Cam from the devices menu but still display white noise, same with Skye and Manycam except they won't let me select Kinect Cam as input.

I cant seem to find any Beta versions of Skype, my version is 12.8.487.0, which i think is now way ahead of the version mentioned in the fix in the links.

Cheers for the input all the same.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Update, decided to remove any and all trace of Kinect SDK 2.0 and go with the SDK 1.8.0 with applicable Kinect studio 1.8.0

Now i can select accept Kinect as a source with Manycam, AMcap and OBS32bit but still no joy with Skype or OBS64bit.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Did u try the virtual OS?

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   

No need, it's working now, aside from Skype and a couple of other apps which all seem to be 64bit.

Possibly a driver issue on Microsofts end.

I know there are 64bit drivers available for the Kinect 2.0 included in the SDK 2.0.

top topics

join