It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Italy miss out on World Cup

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Four-time champions Italy failed to reach the World Cup for the first time since 1958 after a play-off defeat against Sweden.

It means the Azzurri will not be present in the competition for only the second time in their history having declined to play at the inaugural tournament in 1930.

While Italy dominated the second leg and had 20 shots at goal, their exertions radiated a growing sense of desperation.

Gian Piero Ventura's side were unable to carve open a resolute Swedish defence which sat deep and often had a line of six defenders camped in their box, heading away each cross and set-piece into the box.

In all, the Swedes made a total of 56 clearances between them, plus 19 interceptions.

BBC.com, Sport, Nov. 13, 2017 - Italy miss out on World Cup.

Sweden won the first leg, 1 - 0.

Second leg, Italy had 75% possession. Sweden absorbed the power and played to a nil - nil draw. That means Sweden advances on aggregate!!

Italia e morto!

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Che peccato!

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

La fine del mondo come la conosciamo.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I'm in over my head now!

Let me guess...

TEOTWAWKI

For me that passed when the US lost to Trinidad & Tobago. I didn't even bother watching (I forgot). The next day, saw the news. Italy was going to be the next "real contender" I was going to root for. Now...

Let's go Iceland! (I don't even know if they have qualified...)

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   

You got it.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   

YAY!

Some Spanish and a little Latin can do you some good! My high school Spanish teacher would be amazed!

I had to guess on "conosciamo" but that is like "conocer" in Spanish... then it made sense.

Thanks for the Grammar lesson!

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
YAY!!!!

BIG BUMMER tho - The 2018 FIFA World Cup will be held in Putinistan/Dopingistan (Russia) and there's NO WAY I'm gonna go there and spend my money.....

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I was more disappointed northern Ireland didn't qualify but I'm slightly biased that way tbh anyways ..
Ciao !

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: robbeh

Wha?!

I must have missed that!

I need to pay more attention to the lead up to the World Cup. It could always end like the MLB with all my teams out before we even start the tourney.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
Italia e morto!(

I think you mean "morta". (feminine ending)

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

I'm in over my head now!

Let me guess...

TEOTWAWKI

For me that passed when the US lost to Trinidad & Tobago. I didn't even bother watching (I forgot). The next day, saw the news. Italy was going to be the next "real contender" I was going to root for. Now...

Let's go Iceland! (I don't even know if they have qualified...)

We surely did. You're welcome on the viking clap train! We even qualified this time without any playoffs and won our group which included Turkey, Ukraine AND Croatia (which all featured in the last Euros)

It's kinda crazy to watch both USA and Italy miss out on the tournament. But, that makes us getting there more of an achievement. I mean, Italy didn't make the world cup but Iceland did... unreal.
As for Iceland, we pack a mean defence and can score a goal or two when we have to , we´ll be the new Italy.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   
and I forgot, Congrats to Sweden! That was a great job guys! Really deserved and kept Italy quiet for 180 minutes. THAT is an achievement. I kinda felt like I was watching Icelandic defence at times, but then again...our whole game is based on Lagerback's set up nowadays so we're probably stealing your vibe lol

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 01:26 AM
link   

review their recent political history to learn why they have been punished.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Like I said, parts of Spanish and parts of Italian and best guessing! In Spanish, it is "muetro" and kind of figured it was the same. It is the men's team after all!

a reply to: Verse

Cool! Best wishes on the campaign!

And yeah, Sweden managed to hold them off. Hats off to the Swedes!

a reply to: Azureblue

I thought Berlosconi was making a comeback!

I'm American, we barely pay attention to futbol as a nation unless they are winning (hey, we almost beat Portugal the last time around!)... let alone tying it into politics (look at that kneeling flack about the sport 'Mericans care about!)

Me? I'm a fan of the Beautiful Game! This news was a shocker. I just hope it means that all teams are getting closer in ability (ha! I typed that without spit-laughing on my keyboard!)!! I do look for a good Group round and then we will see what happens.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   
... but really about this 2018 fifa world cup ...
Is it maybe that being hosted by Russia is the only reason for which the IOC and MacLaren have most probably manufactured the doping scandal, guided by MI6 agent Rodchenkov ?

Moreover ... Is Rodchenkov really a Russian, or is he just another actor put forward by the British intelligence?

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 06:58 AM
link   
... and it's been a while , so one more question : Is the EU going to repeat the Ukrainian performance against Armenia while the world cup takes place !

new topics

top topics

join