It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3500 Year Old Greek Masterpiece found on a thumb sized Agate

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wolfenz

originally posted by: Harte

originally posted by: punkinworks10
a reply to: soberbacchus

The Minoans also had a heavy presence in britain

Okay, link me.

Harte

Well seeing he said A Heavy Presence according too BBC he is right ..
well more less the Influence ,
and whos to say a Travel for Trade, Here and there

Ancient-genome study finds Bronze Age ‘Beaker culture’ invaded Britain
Famous bell-shaped pots associated with group of immigrants who may have displaced Neolithic farmers.
www.nature.com...

Bronze Age Britain
www.bbc.co.uk...

Before its entry into Britain, the Bronze Age was in full swing in Europe.The island of Crete was centre for the expansion of the bronze trade to Europe. The Mycenaeans created the finest bronze weapons. They came from southern Russia at around 2,000 BC, and settled in the lowlands of Greece.

There they began to trade with the Minoans. They built a large navy, and began to attack nearby lands. Over time they adapted to the Minoan way of life,and eventually, around 1,400 BC, became the major power in the Aegean Sea.

so we all Happy ...

I don't know about you, but a "presence" to me means a presence. Neither link mentions anything like that.
The Minoans were a powerful civilization with broad influence. That perhaps some of their trade goods ended up in Britain wouldn't surprise me. But I see nothing to indicate that the Minoans themselves were present in Britain at any time.

Harte

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: peter vlar
a reply to: Wolfenz

It's quite a stretch to claim that the Bell Beaker Culture were Minoan though, don't you think? Their earliest archaeological remains predate Bronze Age in the late Neolithjc/ early Chalcolithic and I've seen no genetic studies that tie them to the Minoans so how exactly are you tying them in with a Minoan presence in Britain? I'm genuinely confused, not trying to give you a hard time for once!

go argue with BBC ..

as I said influence .. adaption I assume you know the Term ..

just as Egyptian, Hittie , Sumerian - Greek - Roman

I dont think you can Argue with that Stretch , Can you?

after all The Bronze Age Spread out.

Its a Minoans Influence peter Valar

NOT Them Selves ..

Vikings , Romans , as a brief example Adapted other Cultures into theirs
from the Divide and Conquered realm .

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: punkinworks10

The Minoans also had a heavy presence in britain

Okay, link me.

Harte

Well seeing he said A Heavy Presence according too BBC he is right ..
well more less the Influence ,
and whos to say a Travel for Trade, Here and there

Ancient-genome study finds Bronze Age ‘Beaker culture’ invaded Britain
Famous bell-shaped pots associated with group of immigrants who may have displaced Neolithic farmers.
www.nature.com...

Bronze Age Britain
www.bbc.co.uk...

Before its entry into Britain, the Bronze Age was in full swing in Europe.The island of Crete was centre for the expansion of the bronze trade to Europe. The Mycenaeans created the finest bronze weapons. They came from southern Russia at around 2,000 BC, and settled in the lowlands of Greece.

There they began to trade with the Minoans. They built a large navy, and began to attack nearby lands. Over time they adapted to the Minoan way of life,and eventually, around 1,400 BC, became the major power in the Aegean Sea.

so we all Happy ...

I don't know about you, but a "presence" to me means a presence. Neither link mentions anything like that.
The Minoans were a powerful civilization with broad influence. That perhaps some of their trade goods ended up in Britain wouldn't surprise me. But I see nothing to indicate that the Minoans themselves were present in Britain at any time.

Harte

listen...

I jump on the the Post as to say .. about the original poster

as he said heavy presence ( influence )

not from the Minoans themselves but other cultures travelers traders that learned from them.

and that is what the original poster was referring too. that the Minoans themselves

as we can Argue Debate all day Harte..

of the Old and new World Similarities that I pointed Out Numerous times in the Ancient world
and the Major Problem with that is TIME....... in Scale ..

Presence is also mean a vibe a feeling too Harte , not actually the main People

well I feel a Presence of the Smell of Italy
while im going too a Italian restaurant run by IRSIH/French/Mohawks

well actually Reality , going to my oven from my kitchen taking out a Digiorno Pizza..

while my Italian Dog Cane Corso witness the Leftovers ( well devouring ) whats left ( evidence ) of the Pizza

True Story by the way .. yes my My Dog is Italian and her Ancestors are over 3,000 years Old ! ( roman times )
and probably Her Kind was once in Britannia ..

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Whatever.
What was actually said was that the Minoans had a "heavy presence in Britain."

The Minoans didn't even have a light presence in Britain, as far as I know.
Which is why I asked for a link to this information of Minoans present in ancient Britain.

Harte

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Whatever.

Which is why I asked for a link to this information of Minoans present in ancient Britain.

Harte

and I did ..... ...... for the Presence of Influence

if you want to have a Debate and tell BBC they are Wrong .. go for it

Before its entry into Britain, the Bronze Age was in full swing in Europe.The island of Crete was centre for the expansion of the bronze trade to Europe. The Mycenaeans created the finest bronze weapons. They came from southern Russia at around 2,000 BC, and settled in the lowlands of Greece. There they began to trade with the Minoans. They built a large navy, and began to attack nearby lands. Over time they adapted to the Minoan way of life, and eventually, around 1,400 BC, became the major power in the Aegean Sea.

Bronze Age Britain

Around 4,000 years ago the Bronze Age came to Britain. This was the crucial period that linked the Stone Age with the Iron Age, and during which it seems new people came in from continental Europe. What did the newcomers bring to these islands?

www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 02017SundayfAmerica/Chicago11322 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

edit on 02017SundayfAmerica/Chicago11322 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

WOW. That is awesome!!

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Whatever.

Harte

and I did ..... ...... for the Presence of Influence

if you want to have a Debate and tell BBC they are Wrong .. go for it

Before its entry into Britain, the Bronze Age was in full swing in Europe.The island of Crete was centre for the expansion of the bronze trade to Europe. The Mycenaeans created the finest bronze weapons. They came from southern Russia at around 2,000 BC, and settled in the lowlands of Greece. There they began to trade with the Minoans. They built a large navy, and began to attack nearby lands. Over time they adapted to the Minoan way of life, and eventually, around 1,400 BC, became the major power in the Aegean Sea.

Bronze Age Britain

Around 4,000 years ago the Bronze Age came to Britain. This was the crucial period that linked the Stone Age with the Iron Age, and during which it seems new people came in from continental Europe. What did the newcomers bring to these islands?

www.bbc.co.uk...

As the BBC says nothing about any Minoan presence, why do you insist we argue with the BBC?

My response was to the claim that there was a heavy presence of Minoans in Britain.

Now, I know the English language as well as anyone. I know what "presence" means, and it doesn't mean "influence."

If the poster has misstated what he meant, let him say so.

I was interested to see any evidence for a Minoan presence (heavy or otherwise) in Britain, so I asked for a link, and I got your argumentative post in response about something entirely different from what was stated in the post I replied to.

Harte

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: peter vlar
a reply to: Wolfenz

It's quite a stretch to claim that the Bell Beaker Culture were Minoan though, don't you think? Their earliest archaeological remains predate Bronze Age in the late Neolithjc/ early Chalcolithic and I've seen no genetic studies that tie them to the Minoans so how exactly are you tying them in with a Minoan presence in Britain? I'm genuinely confused, not trying to give you a hard time for once!

go argue with BBC ..

Why would I argue w BBC? You're making a claim not presented in their article. The issue is your interpretation not the citation.

as I said influence .. adaption I assume you know the Term ..

Sure, I'm quite familiar with the English language and neither term applies here.

just as Egyptian, Hittie , Sumerian - Greek - Roman

I dont think you can Argue with that Stretch , Can you?

Well, by your logic, a late Neolithic/ early Chalcolithic cukture in Britain who later used Bronze is a result of Mesopotamian influence then as they were the first to mine tin/arsenic and copper and develop the smelting process. So yes, I can argue that is a drastic leap with zero substance behind it.

after all The Bronze Age Spread out.

And predates the Minoans so again, if your logic is that the existence of Bronze smelting in Britain is a result of influence, then why pick the Minoans? They weren't the first to make bronze. Many, many other did so for 2 millennia prior to the Minoans

Its a Minoans Influence peter Valar

NOT Them Selves ..

It's neither and again, your inference can't be reached from the cited articles or any other material.

Vikings , Romans , as a brief example Adapted other Cultures into theirs
from the Divide and Conquered realm .

And there are records of such events. There is no evidence or record of Minoan presence (the original claim) let alone influence, in Britain. You haven't substantiated such an illogical leap of faith.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 12:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

originally posted by: Aliensun

What can we say? Amazing! I can only guess that it is the work of a laser.

Just the work of a very skilled craftsman. This type of work is not unknown; the detail work on some seals as early as Babylonian times is quite impressive. Take a look at this one, done about a thousand years BEFORE that one was carved

Here's another example - about the size of a bead on a necklace yet notice that it's got a lot of text on it and that the figures are well detailed (this is smaller than the agate.)

Or this gold necklace from the tomb of a Scythian king

More and more we discover in bits and pieces that ancient history was not as simple as classical anthropology would have us believe.

Actually, you're not seeing what anthropology and archaeology would have you believe.

In general, you're just seeing one example that's proclaimed as "astonishing" rather than the millions of other examples that stretch back even earlier in time. Humans can do amazing things and they don't need modern technology. We've changed the tools and the processes (and the tools were discarded as "old fashioned" when better technology came along) but master artisans of the past were capable of some incredible designs (and engineering.)

I hope you'll take the time to explore some of the museums and get a sense of the marvels that have been discovered.

Is the bottom pic in your first link a Serberus?

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Wow, I am lost for words................soooooo beautiful...........

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 12:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

Is the bottom pic in your first link a Serberus?

It's a griffin.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Ah yes. I remember now. Thanks.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join