It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3500 Year Old Greek Masterpiece found on a thumb sized Agate

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+82 more 
posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   

A stunning work of art etched on a gemstone no larger than an inch and a half was revealed after researchers washed away thousands of years of limestone and grime.

The tomb itself was a remarkable find when researchers discovered it in 2015. It housed the well-preserved skeleton of the "Griffin Warrior." He was buried with a plaque depicting a creature called a griffin, with the head and wings of an eagle and the body of a lion.

Among the burial riches found with the Griffin Warrior were a collection of gold signet rings and a bronze sword. The gemstone was collected but put aside and its artistry was only revealed after a routine artifact cleaning.

Some of the details carved onto the stone are only half a millimeter big. A magnifying glass may have been used to create the details on the stone, but according to Stocker, no type of magnifying tool from this time period has ever been found.

"They're incomprehensibly small," said University of Cincinnati professor Jack Davis in a press release.

In an interview, Davis further explained that works of art made with such detail wouldn't be seen for another 1,000 years.

"[Other works of art] bear as much resemblance as a Mickey Mouse cartoon to Michelangelo," he said.

Stunning. How on earth did an artisan 3,500 years ago create such a detailed tiny masterpiece?

The scene depicts a victorious warrior who, after conquering his first opponent, lifts his sword to plunge it into the neck of another enemy. Individual muscles can be seen on the human bodies carved onto the stone.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

A sketch showing the scene

Magnified details

3,500 years old on a rock smaller than your thumb!

One of the coolest things I have seen this year.

edit on 13-11-2017 by soberbacchus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Those must have been some sexy ass gladiators back then OWWWWWWW!!!!!!

+5 more 
posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: soberbacchus

What can we say? Amazing! I can only guess that it is the work of a laser.
Investigations probably have already been done to find etching tool marks on the stone. What kind of miniature equipment must have been involved? I have some dental picks of tough stainless steel, and even they could not scratch lines that fine. And polishing the rounded parts after the preliminary work would be a very fine art in itself.

More and more we discover in bits and pieces that ancient history was not as simple as classical anthropology would have us believe. The new frontier--seemingly a contradiction in terms, is upon us as ancient history too, as ancient religious beliefs, takes up on a niche in the real history of humanity that constantly give us indications of where it is all going.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Amazing and really beautiful, the artist must have been someone well known. No one creates something like that and nothing else.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   

A slightly larger image of the thumb sized carving.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I am amazed at the level of skill required to get that level of detail on such a small stone by hand. Very cool.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
That is cool and spectacular. I actually heard somebody speaking of this on NPR the other morning. I came in somewhere in the conversation and lost it before it was over. Maybe was the guy that had discovered them, not sure.

I know it is this because he mentioned the kilts on the 2 fallen soldiers.

So pretty cool to actually see it now. Thanks

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

Yes Pretty Amazing

See here for more:
This 3,500-Year-Old Greek Tomb Upended What We Thought We Knew About the Roots of Western Civilization

The recent discovery of the grave of an ancient soldier is challenging accepted wisdom among archaeologists

www.smithsonianmag.com...

Here is the sword they also found among the Griffin Soldier's remains:

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   

What a beautiful piece of art and great workmanship, a really nice find!

Agate is about 6.5 - 7 on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness. That's a pretty tough material, you'd need hardened steel or a finely crafted tool made of a stone ranking higher on that scale in order to work the material.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   
That had to take a long time to make. A lot of polishing would have been needed. Good thing they didn't ruin it when they took off the crust that had formed on it. Most of us would think it was just a rock.

I studied how to clean rocks up about nine or ten years ago after finding artifacts here with patina and crusty clay stuff stuck to them. A couple of the first ones I ruined, but after that I haven't ruined one while cleaning them. One that was carved from bone or antler did not take the vinegar well, it turned the carved bird into an unrecognizable chunk of rock. Something got stuck to it since it was made, I got that pretty much off but it ruined the carving which already was pretty weathered. Oh well, I gave it a try, some of what was stuck to it was like a cement like mortar where it was attached to something. I found other rocks cemented together with that kind of mortar and even some rocks cemented together. Those were very old, before the white people came here three hundred years ago or so. I don't know where these natives learned that from, but they used clay and glazing for a lot of things, there was a handprint on a rock made out of some kind of clay glaze, I left that around the garden to show the kids. It is from a kids hand, or maybe a munchkin or something.

It is time intensive to properly clean an artifact, you need lots of patients. Something I do not have much of, I was a builder, I liked to see things finished quickly and efficiently, I bought the tools to do that. The power tools are basically worthless when cleaning artifacts,

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

According to the article it took a couple years on-and-off cleaning to reveal the art. They thought they just had a little crusty gemstone and were just taking their time routinely cleaning up the artifacts. Once they realized their was a carving, I imagine the slowed down the cleaning to a more precise method and pace.

Edit to add clarification:

The gemstone was collected but put aside and its artistry was only revealed after a routine artifact cleaning.

The Pylos Combat Agate took nearly a year to clean. It's approximately 1.4 inches long.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   
That is truly stunning.

What's more, the sword they found is the actual sword depicted in the carving! That is extraordinary.

I guess ancient grave sites are the ultimate time capsules, and the skill and craftsmanship of our ancient ancestors is grossly underestimated!

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: soberbacchus

A stunning work of art etched on a gemstone no larger than an inch and a half was revealed after researchers washed away thousands of years of limestone and grime.

The tomb itself was a remarkable find when researchers discovered it in 2015. It housed the well-preserved skeleton of the "Griffin Warrior." He was buried with a plaque depicting a creature called a griffin, with the head and wings of an eagle and the body of a lion.

Among the burial riches found with the Griffin Warrior were a collection of gold signet rings and a bronze sword. The gemstone was collected but put aside and its artistry was only revealed after a routine artifact cleaning.

Some of the details carved onto the stone are only half a millimeter big. A magnifying glass may have been used to create the details on the stone, but according to Stocker, no type of magnifying tool from this time period has ever been found.

"They're incomprehensibly small," said University of Cincinnati professor Jack Davis in a press release.

In an interview, Davis further explained that works of art made with such detail wouldn't be seen for another 1,000 years.

"[Other works of art] bear as much resemblance as a Mickey Mouse cartoon to Michelangelo," he said.

Stunning. How on earth did an artisan 3,500 years ago create such a detailed tiny masterpiece?

The scene depicts a victorious warrior who, after conquering his first opponent, lifts his sword to plunge it into the neck of another enemy. Individual muscles can be seen on the human bodies carved onto the stone.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

A sketch showing the scene

Magnified details

3,500 years old on a rock smaller than your thumb!

One of the coolest things I have seen this year.

Pretty amazing stuff. Thanks for posting this. Amazing what our ancestors were able to accomplish.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Looks like a depiction of Achilles.

Maybe this was a King that Achilles hired on with as a mercenary.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Amazing! It as no doubt carved by the ancient little peoples.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   
WOW!
Tel me who and how much would it cost to make one to day?
and how long would it take?

and the sword looks like the handle is gold Plated!

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: soberbacchus
a reply to: tinner07

The recent discovery of the grave of an ancient soldier is challenging accepted wisdom among archaeologists
www.smithsonianmag.com...

Here is the sword they also found among the Griffin Soldier's remains:

Looks like the near exact same hilt on the sword, could it be that the buried man is the same as the dead man on the agate?
Custom made for his funeral goods?

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Wow...That either took someone a lifetime of delicate effort to do, or they had equipment that modern history doesn't know(or tell us about).

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

Same Type of sword used by the long haired guy depicted.
They all used pretty much the same type.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   
It really makes you wonder what it would be like to live in that time. I have a feeling that if someone were to travel back in time to this period it would be rather bizarre to discover skills, arts and technologies that we never realized they might have.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join