It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mashed Potatoes

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Last night I whipped up some pork cutlet Marsala and a big batch of loaded mashed taters for the wife and I. The Marsala, as usual, was off the hook good! The mashed potatoes were fantastic as well. For the mashed potatoes I'd added a little garlic (just a hint), some sour cream, onion and some freshly cooked bacon. I mashed all that in with the potatoes. Man, was it good!

Now the reason I'm telling you all this is because I just discovered something...something perhaps very important...

Did you know that mashed potatoes are really awesome for breakfast????

I had a bunch left over, so I put them away in the fridge last night. This morning I was hungry, and I couldn't figure out for what. I looked in the frig and every time those mashed tater's were calling me, but who has mashed taters for breakfast. I finally relented and took a big ol' scoop out and nuked it for a couple minutes. Nice big dollop of French butter and some black pepper. Voila'...yummy breakfast, and exactly what I was hankerin' for!

So, there you have it...mashed potatoes for breakfast!

That is all.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

2 cups of your mashed taters, 1/4 cup of flour and an egg and they'd make great pancakes too. Top with your favorite cheese.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   

I got to try bacon in my next mashed potatoes.
I use lots of milk and some butter with my mix. I do the same with polenta.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Breakfast mash:

Hot frying pan, some good butter.

Plop in your serving of mashies and press to make a sizzling pattie.

Flip, and fry side two to golden deliciousness.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

Hmmm...that sounds a whole lot like Potato Pancakes!

Interesting!

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Mashed potatoes are often seen as a boring bulk addition and that is a shame as done right can shire on thier own merit.

Warm some milk through with a half an onion and a bay leaf to add woth some cream, butter and an eg yolk well seasoned with sea salt and white pepper(never black for mash) and you have something truley special.

A dollop of horseradish in the mix makes a better accompynament for steak than chips and the blood from the steak mixes in as you go to make it even better. A big spoon of wholegrain mustard for belly pork or gammon works a treat.

If making a fish pie I poach all the fish in milk to make the sauce but reserving some to add to the mash is also a winner.

Hail to the mash.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Whoa!! I'm gonna' have to try me some of that!!

MMMmmmmMMMmmmmmMMMmmmm!! Nom, nom...nom!

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   
We like to add plenty of grated cheddar to ours about halfway through mashing, we've not looked back.

Some great ideas to check out in this thread so far, cheers!

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 07:40 AM
link   
The best mashed potatoes I ever had was at the Stockyard Restaurant in Nashville, TN.

They had truffle oil and cream in them.

One serving was $12.00, but they were the best I had ever eaten.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   

I had to look up 'Fish Pie' as I'd never heard of that. So, it looks like it is basically like a 'Shepards Pie' (i.e. covered with mashed potatoes), but with fish, right?

Might have to try that!

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   

I do the same thing as you, only I also add cheese. If I make mashed taters, with steak sometimes I add some crumbled blue cheese to them, it is way better than you may think.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
In my opinion the only thing mashed potatoes needs is some gravy.

Beef/chicken/turkey.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: kurthall

Blue cheese? Are you kidding me? Hell, I'd probably eat a old shoe if it had blue cheese on it!!!!!

I love, love, LOVE blue cheese!!! I'm definitely tryin' that!!!

I could probably sit down and just ram a whole blue cheese wheel into my face!! Start eatin' it like a really big ear of corn even!!

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Never been a big fan of them myself. On their own, they're too bland. They hang completely on the flavors you add to them in order to succeed, and then there is the question of texture. I'm just not a huge fan.

I can eat them, but it's all about the gravy then.

Yours sound like they'd be in the acceptable category, but I'm sort of surprised at myself since so many of the things I originally didn't like as a kid I've grown to either love or at least accept in one for or another. Potato salad and mashed potatoes just seem to be two that are doomed to never quite please.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Never been a big fan of them myself. On their own, they're too bland

That's what salt and pepper is for

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

I had to look up 'Fish Pie' as I'd never heard of that. So, it looks like it is basically like a 'Shepards Pie' (i.e. covered with mashed potatoes), but with fish, right?

Might have to try that!

I did not realise it was not a univerally world wide dish lol.

Take some white fish and some salmon and poach gently in some milk with half an onion and some bay and set the fish aside to cool.

make up a roux with corn starch and butter and use the milk from paoching to make a bechamel.

fold the poached fish chunks into the sauce and then add whatever you can, prawns, mussels ect and some defrosted but not cooked frozen peas and some cream.

Put in an oven proof dish and top with mash and then fork over and brush with melted butter or some people add cheese and bake in the oven until golden brown.

There are lots of other variations, at the in laws the other day we had it with rougly chopped boiled eggs in which was noce, crayfish are also good if you have some.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Potato salad too??? Oh man, I love me some potato salad!!

Especially with some dill and horse radish in it!

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Never been a big fan of them myself. On their own, they're too bland

That's what salt and pepper is for

And butter and milk and cream, my mash would be better put in the dairy section than the vegable one by the time I am done with it.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   

I reserve butter for baked potatoes.

Splash of ketchup for fried potatoes.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

As Mom used to say when I was a kid..."Put salt, pepper and butter on it, and you'll love it!"

Whenever I heard that I knew the subject of brussel sprouts was going to come up shortly!!

P.S. Still "trying" to like brussel sprouts 50 some years later!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join