It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vulnerable health with no hot water or heating for two days in the UK

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: nonspecific

There are alternative means to heating and cooling.

Of course it depends on a few variables such as space.

Natural heating and cooling as simple and running some pvc pipe in the ground and using the difference between air temp and ground temp to heat and cool a dwelling with some type of fan.

Essentially free with exception of the build cost, but no monthly cost.

Obviously someone that lives in an apartment wouldn't be able to implement it.

Basically a heatsink to store energy.

Yes I agree but I meant we have on the whole become complacent.

I live in a rural location with a fair little bit of land and as such do not rely just on my central heating and electric and the availability of shops. I have a wood burner in the house and a winters worth of wood if needs be, I have portable gas cookers and heaters, electric heaters and candles and enough food to last a good long while.

Most people in the UK though are in a position where they have none of these and many only have enough food to last a few days either due to lack of storage, funds or never thinking they might not be able to pop to the supermarket.

As you say many options out there but they take time space and resources, not the kind of thing you can leave until the last minute in a blizzard.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Get yourself a solar shower! Some pretty darn nice ones can be had for $25us new, and they are an incredibly handy thing to have around regardless of current situation. They may not consistently provide super hot water, but they can do a completely respectable job.

As others have suggested, space heaters can make a major difference too. Of course, they only work with electricity.. but you can frequently find them for $10us-$15us used. I would personally suggest the oil-filled radiator type, as I have found they generally last longer (by an extensive margin).

There are also options like heated blankets, and even heater attachments for propane tanks. Setting yourself up with a generator, or something like solar panels/small wind turbines, can change the situation entirely, but they start to get up there in cost even if you do something like 3d print the wind mill, or build it out of scrap metal.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

As others have suggested, space heaters can make a major difference too. Of course, they only work with electricity

They also run on kerosene and propane.

But should be well ventilated.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

As others have suggested, space heaters can make a major difference too. Of course, they only work with electricity

They also run on kerosene and propane.

But should be well ventilated.

I got one of the kerosene fuel ones on ebay for 99p.

It would be great if I had a space big enough to use it, something about the size of a football pitch would be about right.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Yup, mentioned that later in the post. That said, I'm not sure I've ever seen the specific space heater type I recommended (oil-filled radiator) come in models other than electric. Have any links? I'd be interested in 'em!

Luckily, there are quite a few relatively low cost options. But, that doesn't make the situation much less annoying.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

www.google.com...

That said, I'm not sure I've ever seen the specific space heater type I recommended (oil-filled radiator) come in models other than electric.

Google is your friend

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Still don't see any.. but, thanks?

The closest I've ever been able to find either has some sort of forced air component and/or is quite pricey.

I'm not sure you are reading what I'm writing, but I'm certainly an idiot, so who knows

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   

didn't see any ?

They were right there.

on the google shopping link.

$85 bucks, and $45 bucks and down the list.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Glad you are okay now. Maybe since things are alright for the moment, make like a squirrel and start preparing for the future in case it happens again. I thought some of the suggestions on this thread were pretty good for a temporary fix.

Stay well and warm.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Sorry for your situation. Do you have any means to heat water? An electric kettle or such? If so get a hot water bottle and put hot but not boiling water in it, and use that under the covers. I live in a much more frigid climate than the UK and it works every time. If you don't have a hot water bottle or can't get one. Fill milk jugs or soda bottles with hot water. You'd be amazed how warm this can make you. I lived in upstate NY when there was a massive ice storm. We did not have heat for ten days. We did quite well using the hot bottle method!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join