It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STUDY - Women Are Less Likely To Receive Life-Saving C.P.R. from Passerbys.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 01:39 AM
link   
People have been afraid to intervene when witnessing a crime, for ages. But I think this fear of administering life-saving Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation to women, is related to the growing number of sexual harassment complaints and lawsuits being filed.

If you suffer cardiac arrest in public, just being a woman means you’re less likely to receive potentially life-saving CPR from a passerby, according to a new study.

Strangers may be reluctant to undo a woman’s clothing and touch her breasts, even if it means they can save her life, says a lead researcher on the study.

“This is not a time to be squeamish,” said Dr. Benjamin Abella of the University of Pennsylvania, who urged strangers to get over their inhibitions and help in an emergency.

Only 39 percent of women suffering cardiac arrest in a public place received CPR versus 45 percent of men, and men were 23 percent more likely to survive, the study found.

The study involved nearly 20,000 cases around the U.S. and was the first to examine gender differences in receiving heart help from the public, versus professional responders.
SOURCE: www.foxnews.com...

The timing of this trend couldn't be worse, because just as many women are now having heart attacks, as men. An astounding 25% of all female deaths in the U.S. are now due to heart issues, according to the Center for Disease Control. This amounts to approx 290,000 heart disease-related deaths annually for women.
SOURCE: www.cdc.gov...

Personally, I'd have no problem performing CPR on any female who needs it, or, standing behind a woman and thrusting under her breasts, if she's choking. Just like I'd do if a man needed help.

What about you? Are you someone who would administer CPR, or heimlick a female, without hesitation? Or would you say to yourself, "Nah...I might be hit with a sexual harrasment, or a rape claim!"

-CareWeMust

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I read a lot of comments the last days here in germany, about that sexual harrassment and "all men are guitly and evil" issue. Many, many men now just say:

Ok, then, from now on, we don´t help women anymore, we don´t talk to them anymore(to not make any compliments), we don´t look at them anymore. Then they can put tons of make up in their faces, wear the tightest jeans they ever found, show us more of their body than they hide, like they do since i can think. But then they will start to cry too!

Because they don´t get attention anymore if no man talks to them anymore, looks at them anymore, makes compliments and all that average, normal stuff that nowadays is called sexual harrassment. For sure just if men do it, to women or other men. Because, we all know, women in positions of power would never missuse that power.

I read a comment about a guy that wanted to help a woman with a buggy to leave the train. When he started to do so, another women came, pushed him to the side and said:
"We women don´t need the help of men!"
While her friend is pushing a buggy with a baby in it... Where did that baby come from, Walmart???
Or from a "little bit of help" from a man???

So, it´s not a wonder if men now react like described above.
Let just treat these modern superwomen like it seems they want to be treated nowadays, don´t give them attention anymore and let them solve their problems on their own.

"Could you please open that glass of jam for me, i am not strong enough?"
"No, i don´t want to be accused of being a sexual predator!"

Let´s look how long that will work for them!

edit on 13 11 2017 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Not the extent of helping in a emergency situation but I have totally taken myself away from a situation of intervening with female work colleagues or assisting female strangers..

Case in point is I have started to rock climb the last few months and one night a week we have a open session where you turn up and "buddy" up with whoever and take turns belaying (Holding the rope, spotting what have you) .. I flat out refuse to "buddy" up with any females unless I know them personally, the risk of a harassment accusation is just to risky.

Now you have posted this thread I seriously think I would have a very long pause before assisting in a emergency, as stated all bets are off as to where it could lead which is a very poor situation to be in but you know what f#ck it, it is what it is...

The next decade will be a water shed regarding all this "everything" is harassment BS, men simply do not p#ss about playing stupid games, I honestly feel a good proportion of mentally stable men will simply say to hell with it I will go at it alone. MGTOW (Men going their own way) is gaining major traction, regardless of how the MSM are attempting to dumb it down as a fad. Have you seen how many western men are dating Asians!!!!!!, why could that be?...

This is however very much a modern western society issue, when I head to locations that still have common sense it is a nothing subject..

Save a mans life with CPR:: The dude recovers, takes you out for a steak and beer as a thank you..

Save a womens life with CPR Mouth to mouth etc She gets a lawyer and destroys you as you took advantage of the situation by touching her breast. No permission had been giving to invade her personal space and as a male you are a sexual predator by default that was only looking to take advantage of her.

That is how many men in a tongue in cheek way would see it...

RA
edit on 13-11-2017 by slider1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 02:48 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

The little girl who cried wolf.... Say it isn't so...

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 02:49 AM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

Lucky your not a drug dealer right ...?

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 02:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Sorry what???...

My guess is you are making a statement regarding me outlining the current situation in the Philippines which is very odd as this is a thread about women gaining CPR when in a emergency..

Rather than spouting yet more below the belt remarks towards someone with real world experience as I live partly in the Philippines why not do yourself a favour since you are so interested in how a small country within south east Asia operates, get on a plane and spend 6 months doing some field research speaking to locals and understanding the culture, at least I can accept any feedback knowing you are at least speaking from experience..

At this juncture you really are starting to come across as someone that simply cannot take someone else's view or feedback if it does not align with your own..

RA

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Save a women, or face a sexual harassment lawsuit... I’ll wait until you’re blue in the face and 90% dead before i start chest compressions...

Nice rack, but don’t want to be sued and/or jailed for touching them.

Good Samaritan law doesn’t save you from sexual harassment suit!
edit on 11/13/2017 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 03:07 AM
link   
It's a risk, certainly.

Can you imagine how it would look in court to a jury, though?

I think I'd take my chances and help. It's how I was brought up. Not to say it wouldn't cross my mind, because it would. It's the same sort of thought process that makes me wonder if I should stop to help stranded motorists... Is it safe?

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 03:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
It's a risk, certainly.

Can you imagine how it would look in court to a jury, though?

I think I'd take my chances and help. It's how I was brought up. Not to say it wouldn't cross my mind, because it would. It's the same sort of thought process that makes me wonder if I should stop to help stranded motorists... Is it safe?

There was a law that was introduced that was called something like "life saver bylaw" or words to that effect. The long and short was that no action could be taken against someone that is taking action and administering life saving help with a honestly held belief that someone's life is at risk..

The issue is that there is nothing stopping the person taking a independent law suit against you for assault. The Police will not prosecute from your actions but the independent claim can still be heard in court, and personally as I give a lot of statements to courts in the UK I can tell you that it can be a coin toss as to the final outcome..

RA

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 03:15 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

If your jury were made of folks from California, New York, Illinois, or Washington...

Yeah, my conscious is okay with a corpse and my freedom.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 03:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: slider1982

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Sorry what???...

My guess is you are making a statement regarding me outlining the current the situation in the Philippines which is very odd as this is a thread about women gaining CPR when in a emergency..

Rather than spouting yet more below the belt remarks towards someone with real world experience as I live partly in the Philippines why not do yourself a favour since you are so interested in how a small country within south east Asia operates, get on a plane and spend 6 months doing some field research speaking to locals and understanding the culture, at least I can accept any feedback knowing you are at least speaking from experience..

At this juncture you really are starting to come across as someone that simply cannot take someone else's view or feedback if it does not align with your own..

RA

Let me get this straight, you and all your real world experience is still an advocate for duterte war on drugs... A simple yes no answer would suffice....

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Exactly why i said Good Samaritan law doesn’t protect against sexual harassment.
edit on 11/13/2017 by EternalSolace because: Still suffering from iOS glitch...

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 03:45 AM
link   
It's hard to say this but as a male the fear of unfunded sexual harassment claims takes a toll on how I behave towards women, specially at work.

It does not matter if its true, if you get accused of sexual harassment your life can get messed up in no time.

And at the end this makes me look like I don't like working with women or even i hate them, just because I try to don't say anything inappropriate or god forbid, touch them. which is not true at all, women are awesome
(don't ruin my life plz ill say whatever you want..)

Oh well, I guess if i keep my phobia of unfunded sexual harassment accusations, soon I'll be scared to interact with anyone as the males could think i'm gay and making advances on them, or if I compliment a dog or some crap the owner may think i'm into bestiality... hmmm maybe in really sick and sexuality takes too much of my head, better minority report my self out of society after all

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 03:45 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

No, I don't think it's related to the growing number of sexual harrassments complaints and lawsuits by females, as lately men seem to be coming out in hoards to complain about past abuse. The study makes it clear that they don't know if it was males or females who avoided doing CPR on women:

Researchers had no information on rescuers or why they may have been less likely to help women.

I think it's all down to our anatomy, as CPR is taught with male mannequins so laymen are unsure of how to perform resuscitation on a chest that has breasts. Like the article say, we definitely need to include female torsos to teach CPR to the general population.

I guess people are scared of hurting women more because they don't have flat chests, but what they don't understand is that you could never make their situation any worse than it is, I mean, they are not breathing and their hearts have stopped!

I have never heard of a woman suing somebody who have saved her life by performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation on them, but if you are aware of such case please let me know.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 03:52 AM
link   

edit on 13-11-2017 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: crap wrong member

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 04:30 AM
link   
In my professional life I was required to spend "one on one time" with individuals on a monthly basis. As an NCO (leader) in the military we have to counsel our soldiers monthly on what they are doing right, what they are doing wrong, what they should improve, and what they should maintain. For 18 of my 20 years I only had male soldiers and my counseling sessions were routine "one-on-one" events. After my injuries I was forced out of the Infantry and into a support element which meant I had two female soldiers. My counseling sessions then became "one-on-one (with one)", meaning whenever I counseled a female soldier I had an additional soldier (NCO or female) present for my protection as well as the females.

When I transitioned into civilian life (as a Veteran never a civilian
) I carried on that process with study groups. I attended college in the medical field as well as political science so study groups are a bigger part of the curriculum than I had anticipated. When studying with a male peer no thought was ever given to my surroundings in a peer-on-peer session, however if I was studying with a female it would have to be a per-on-peer (with peer) group or larger.

I say all that to say this:

I have gone out of my way to protect myself from unwarranted accusations being leveled against me in a "sue-happy" country that is America. However, had I ever seen a woman (or child) in distress, I would not have given a seconds thought to "what might they do if..." before I rendered aid. I would be able to look at the Judge, my family, and the person and know that I did the right thing. That is what matters at the end of the day.

I've done the "is it OK if I touch you" when coming upon an accident, removed people from vehicles because it was safer for them (never the best course of action), and sat with people while trying to comfort them until help arrived. I've never had a person (male/female, victim, or parent) come back later and attack me for doing the right thing at that moment. Fingers crossed I never have to experience that kind of situation again, and doubly so that I never find out what getting sued for doing the right thing feels like.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 04:39 AM
link   
That study seems to suggest women don't like saving other women.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 04:44 AM
link   
If a legal system is so broken that a lawsuit against someone who actually saves your life is even possible, then the society with that legal system is in the most dire of straits.

I honestly cannot believe someone would do that, in the first place. Has it ever happened?

In my experience, people are mostly afraid of helping people in medical emergencies because they are afraid they might do something wrong, which will somehow make things (medically) worse.

Which is pretty unlikely in a cardiac arrest scenario, where things are about as bad as they are likely to get.

Having some first aid skills, and practicing these, are often what is needed to motivate people to help.

Suing people for saving your life should not be legally possible, in my opinion. If it is, the system needs to be changed, asap.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   
don't worrie the feminist will teach you to give yourself CPR

Really tho I do find this ironic as look but don't touch becomes he was assaulting me with his eyes we will find more things like this

Just wait tell u hear no I can't be a witness ... I was checking the victim out

I had a women say something about me holding a door for her ... I was one of the few who still do that ... meh

I wouldn't spit in the direction of a car on fire nowadays enjoy society your making Joe avg hero the guy on a phone posting dead body's on YouTube

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   
If you refuse to potentially save a woman’s life because you may catch a charge then you are a coward and should probably just make it official and go have an orchiectomy.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join