It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

D.C.’s next monument could honor Marion Barry

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   

The D.C. Council on Tuesday preliminarily approved a plan to erect an 8-foot-tall bronze statue outside city hall in Barry’s honor, placing a likeness of the District’s most famous local politician on Pennsylvania Avenue NW, a couple of blocks from the White House and on one of the city’s best-known boulevards.

www.washingtonpost.com... -5e285c7f4512_story.html?utm_term=.c9c01ca80b37

Barry was twice elected, once before being video taped honking on a crack pipe with a hooker in a sleazy DC motel room, and elected again after a 6 month stretch in federal prison for three felony counts of perjury, 10 counts of drug possession, and one misdemeanor count of conspiracy to possess coc aine. This my friends is what left considers a hero worthy of a memorial statue......

www.diogenesmiddlefinger.com...

Personally? I could care less. I see statues as symbols of free expression. So put it up! I just find it ironic that those that would celebrate this statue want to tear down other statues that they don't like.

I consider anyone who wants to tear down a statue as a book-burner. Because they are destroying a symbol, a representation of free expression.

I placed this in the "Pit" because this might get controversial, but I would hope that everyone would support this simply because even if you don't like the man or what he did or what he stood for, it is free expression and we should all support that regardless.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Can't say I'm a huge fan of Mr. Barry, but like you said everyone (IMO) is entitled to free expression. If the people who have to see this statute everyday want it, then I say go for it. Honestly, I didn't know who he was until I read a few articles online.

Same for confederate soldier monuments and other Southern heritage. Free country, display what you'd like!

Great post
edit on 11/12/2017 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Don't care.

Marion Berry is/was sleazy. But so, too, are many who are given statues.

I can safely ignore statues.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Ummm...Ooohh...Pick me...pick me...

Would it be a mirror...with a razor blade and straw...or a glass pipe...?

YouSir

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   

I'm sure DC's asian population will be thrilled.

edit on 12-11-2017 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   

WTF...why not.

Maybe a statue of Anthony Weiner next?

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

Phallic statues were oh so two millennia ago.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   

This is what I remember of former Washington D.C. mayor Marion Berry. Smoking Crack and the FBI breaking into the hotel room and arresting him, on 1.18.1990. So many jokes about this back then.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Ha! Crack smokin Barry....sounds like the perfect monument to the latest stupid movement. Yes, let's tear down statues of those that fought for our freedom, literally, and replace them with a crack smoking whore monger....brilliant!

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   
He is a great symbol of what Washington DC stands for.

A great role model for the youth of the City.

A mis-understood scholar.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Some more interesting quotes from Marion Barry. . . .

"Aside from the murders, DC has one of the lowest crime rates in the country."

"I am clearly more popular than Reagan. I am in my third term. Where's Reagan? Gone after two! Defeated by George Bush and Michael Dukakis no less."

"The laws in this city are clearly racist. All laws are racist. The law of gravity is racist."

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Good thing "Walter White" was white with a last name of "White", otherwise there'd be fierce debate over which one should get the statue.

Perhaps Tony Montana can get one though.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   

We need to erect a statue to Marion Barry so that history won't repeat itself.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Some more interesting quotes from Marion Barry. . . .

"Aside from the murders, DC has one of the lowest crime rates in the country."

"I am clearly more popular than Reagan. I am in my third term. Where's Reagan? Gone after two! Defeated by George Bush and Michael Dukakis no less."

"The laws in this city are clearly racist. All laws are racist. The law of gravity is racist."

LOL!

Yes...these should be on the plaquard below his statue...

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Let them have the statue. However, they should face the consequences and not cry foul when someone complains.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   

I'm on the fence on this one. Do we want children to see DC's crack smoking mayor immortalized? What kind of message does that send?

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

We can write a description describing his deeds in the statue. For example, he sold crack and other stuff. That way people will learn who this guy is.
edit on 11/12/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

The real irony of course is if people here hadn't spent the last several months acting like American Taliban, defacing and destroying public works of art, no one would have thought twice about DC erecting a statue commemorating their former crack smoking, racist mayor.
edit on 12-11-2017 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

Quite right

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

I'm on the fence on this one. Do we want children to see DC's crack smoking mayor immortalized? What kind of message does that send?

Like any other statue ever made, no one has to look at it.

There is no obligation to look at any statue.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join