It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shall we start a new community out in the forest?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

Oh.. we could make so much more than just tools and random bits and bobs. Im talking full blown technology, up to and including flight. Fully automated food systems, energy generation, advanced heating and cooling, even insulation.. heck, even awesome home theaters with speakers made from local wood!

Its all a matter of the people involved either having the knowledge and ingenuity, or the ability to gain that information. Full libraries can be stored on central servers.

At that point though, the community may be seen as a threat of sorts. An item of consideration.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
This would be useful when SHTF.

The cities will probably be the most brutal places, if we get to a SHTF scenario.
We could expect roaming hoards if we are out of town, but near a road-system.
We could go beyond the trails, and beyond the greedy bastards.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
Why would we do that to the already dwelling forest-dwellers and creatures? Because we can? Run away from what we ourselves have done to ourselves? Divide and conquer or just "take" it and move on in?

We did that to the native Americans and it didnt turn out so well for them...*

*PS Just go buy a bunch of survival and off-the-grid books. There are hundreds...Question answered, thread-pointless. Sorry

OK: so you're not interested.
Thanks for stopping by.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam

Oh.. we could make so much more than just tools and random bits and bobs. Im talking full blown technology, up to and including flight. Fully automated food systems, energy generation, advanced heating and cooling, even insulation.. heck, even awesome home theaters with speakers made from local wood!

Its all a matter of the people involved either having the knowledge and ingenuity, or the ability to gain that information. Full libraries can be stored on central servers.

At that point though, the community may be seen as a threat of sorts. An item of consideration.

A true breakaway civilization of that power, might be considered a threat to existing societies.
It would draw attention, and outsiders would try to gain control, either subtly, or not-so subtly.

Let's dream of the possibilities, and talk more down-to-earth about the practicalities of getting started.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Have you ever even spent a night alone in the woods before??

edit on 12-11-2017 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun
Have you ever even spent a night alone in the woods before??

Sure. You?
What's the point of your post, other than to try and find an angle for shaming?

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Well, doing that is all about perspective, right?

A lot of the stuff I'm talking about is already seeing action in my house. When I can turn my head and see it, that definitely affects my perception on things like possibilities and practicalities!

Though, I don't have flight capability. Yet. (OK, OK, not even working on it..
).

Obviously, it also gives insight on why the primitive approach isn't quite my thing. I absolutely do not buy into the notion that nature and technology are mutually exclusive, or even need to be in conflict at all. In fact, I feel they can be profoundly complementary.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   
The hippies did it in Oregon, mostly in the form of tree houses. But the question, where ? Who's going to let you have the property, or are you going to lease it ? How you going to govern ? In the worst case scenario, there was Jones Town.... and to a lesser degree Waco. The government's not keen on free rides.

This guy making all the Daub and Wattle construction is amazing, and this method could be used, after all the Injuns have been doing Adobe for ages, and rock, evidenced by Anasazi and others.

It's a cool ambition, but practical...... well I have my doubts.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Sure. You?

I am not the one asking to go live in the woods with strangers on the internet.

Here is the part you can take as shaming if you choose.
You seem very idealistic from dreaming and watching a few youtube videos...don't talk it...do it!!

I'll let reality teach you what you need to learn.

Hint....its harder than you think.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

YEP

......like think 'hot water'..... and being in need of a good washing.....

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin

originally posted by: dashen
Well. I can build houses, electrical systems, plumbing systems, winter green houses and pleasure dungeons.
So id be fun in the woods

A very resourceful person indeed!
How would we build new tools, if we never go back into town for supplies?
Could we get-by on simple primitive tools?

youd be surprised how much you could do with very little

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam

Well, doing that is all about perspective, right?

A lot of the stuff I'm talking about is already seeing action in my house. When I can turn my head and see it, that definitely affects my perception on things like possibilities and practicalities!

Though, I don't have flight capability. Yet. (OK, OK, not even working on it..
).

Obviously, it also gives insight on why the primitive approach isn't quite my thing. I absolutely do not buy into the notion that nature and technology are mutually exclusive, or even need to be in conflict at all. In fact, I feel they can be profoundly complementary.

Great that you are already putting things into action!
There are many different ways to view this, and many ways to go about it.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   
i lived in the woods of eastern PA with a bunch of hairy hippies for a summer.
the one mountain lady who owns the land is a pretty 30 something redhead who lives in a shack in the woods with her dog and shotgun all winter.
the only running water is a creek fifty feet from the shack.
its a magical place

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
The hippies did it in Oregon, mostly in the form of tree houses. But the question, where ? Who's going to let you have the property, or are you going to lease it ? How you going to govern ? In the worst case scenario, there was Jones Town.... and to a lesser degree Waco. The government's not keen on free rides.

This guy making all the Daub and Wattle construction is amazing, and this method could be used, after all the Injuns have been doing Adobe for ages, and rock, evidenced by Anasazi and others.

It's a cool ambition, but practical...... well I have my doubts.

Very impractical to be sure.
Let's discuss what can be done, rather than focus on what can't.

Could either buy a swath of land, leasing would be less ideal, or consider the possibility of just squatting.
The best option would be to obtain an allodial title, and then have no need to be bothered for taxes and such.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

Sure. You?

I am not the one asking to go live in the woods with strangers on the internet.

Here is the part you can take as shaming if you choose.
You seem very idealistic from dreaming and watching a few youtube videos...don't talk it...do it!!

I'll let reality teach you what you need to learn.

Hint....its harder than you think.

More interested in discussing it, to see what others think. Not ready to hop in an old VW bus with a bunch of strangers, and drive until we run-out of gas, just yet.

There is the angle of idealism, and dreaming. Is that a bad way to start a discussion, or project?
The doing it part needs to be preceded by ideas and planning.
Perhaps this whole discussion is merely a part of my personal process, towards doing it?
Maybe you don't have a clue as to how hard someone else thinks it is?
The harsh reality scares the crap out of any sane person.
Perhaps we can learn from the mistakes of others, and make wise decisions.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
a reply to: DrumsRfun
YEP
......like think 'hot water'..... and being in need of a good washing.....

Yeah: our beloved hot-showers would not be available, for at least a good while.
No Starbucks neither, but we could make delicious and healing natural teas.
Labrador tea, Chaga, balsam needles, etc...

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   
libertyforlife.com...

looks like Nevada is the place....

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin

Well. I can build houses, electrical systems, plumbing systems, winter green houses and pleasure dungeons.
So id be fun in the woods

A very resourceful person indeed!
How would we build new tools, if we never go back into town for supplies?
Could we get-by on simple primitive tools?

youd be surprised how much you could do with very little

How far could a group get with those primitive technologies?
It's our origins, is it not?
How could we do an experiment like that, with the lessons from those videos and others?

edit on 12-11-2017 by Nothin because: sp

edit on 12-11-2017 by Nothin because: sp

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   

How far could a group get with those primitive technologies?
It's our origins, is it not?
How could we do an experiment like that, with the lessons from those videos and others?

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   

I lived in my camper in the woods for a couple of years, showering in campgrounds. Mostly off grid, no hookups.

Its really all about day to day survival, and the constant struggle for water, keeping lights going, nighttime boredom, going dirty, really gets ya down. Winter is miserable, I ended up heading south for respite, which gets expensive on gas and repairs.

Getting a fire going, making sure you have water, food. Finding firewood. Fishing.

There is no energy or time left for grand projects. With more people, a good stable location with a bearable winter, and more resources than I had, it might work.

I didnt tend to stay in city park type places. The woods can be scary, wierd places, and it dobt have to be dark. Wild turkey like me, though, and I saw some truly beautiful places. I wouldn't bet on net anywhere you would want to be, and generators are noisy thirsty things.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join