It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the most compelling book promoting an atheistic worldview?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 04:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Amazed by all the atheists who think a book they have read will turn Christians of faith
Do you really not think that many Christians don't have questions, are scared of learning and reading and reasoning
Do you think we don't read non Christian literature

An atheist didn't even author this thread, we're just responding to it.

Offering opinions on questions asked by the OP.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 06:37 AM
link   
try "origin of species" and "cosmos"

It was gaining an understanding of biology and evolution that initially led me away from traditional spirituality.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Hi everyone -
Thanks for all the great suggestions for books and websites. I’ve ordered The God Delusion and God’s not Great to get started, just because I recognize these are popular authors and books and they might give a broad view of current atheism. Then I think I’ll move to more science-oriented books (particularly related to cosmology and origin of life issues).

Thanks to the many who pointed out that I was asking for something that doesn’t really exist - a book that summarizes a lack of belief in God. It just shows I have a lot to learn as I believed atheism was more of a cohesive philosophy and worldview.

edit on 13-11-2017 by VegHead because: Typo

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Amazed by all the atheists who think a book they have read will turn Christians of faith
Do you really not think that many Christians don't have questions, are scared of learning and reading and reasoning
Do you think we don't read non Christian literature

An atheist didn't even author this thread, we're just responding to it.

Offering opinions on questions asked by the OP.

Read my post again, you missed my point

I don't mind who authored the thread

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indrasweb
What the heck is a book promoting an atheist view anyway? There's no such thing as "an atheist view" beyond "God does not exist"

That's all atheist means. Don't need a whole book to tell you that. Anything else in any of those books is simply the authors personal view of the world, which might be interesting for different reasons, but it shouldn't be labelled as 'an atheist view'.

Their opinions and perspectives are not dependant on not believing in something.

Does your view of not believing that aquaman exists in reality, change how you view or interact with the world?

Not believing in something is nothing like believing in something.

Might as well write a book promoting an "I don't believe in Santa" world view or a "there's no such thing as Bigfoot" world view...

The premise is redundant as it tells you nothing about the individuals perspective beyond that they don't believe in '......'

This is a great post.

However, a little nit-pick on your choice of words. Atheism is not saying "God does not exist" as an affirmation. Atheism is a way of thinking which has a lack of belief in God. The reasons people lack a belief in God are several. But the most common reason not to believe in the existence of God is there is no agreeable evidence supporting such a belief. Since there is no evidence, it follows then, that God only exists in our imaginations. An atheist doesn't believe in a God they have not experienced.

It's important to get it right. Too many times theists will grasp to the idea atheism is anti-God and it's own religion. The absence of having a religion is NOT a religion. If we cannot agree on a neutral place with religion we will never have separation of church and state.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: VegHead

Arguably, there is more cohesion among the atheists of the world than, say, Christians. But, it has taken shape in an entirely different way, so one solid book offering doesn't quite exist.

The best ones out there will tend to be atheist more by omission than proclamation. The two books you got may give some perspective on the ultra-angsty mainstream atheist, but they can tend towards proselytizing. In that, they have kind of shaped many a modern atheist, but personally, I don't find it any more palatable than when it comes from a theist. The inherent condescension just isn't appealing, but it does appeal to plenty.

Anyway, if you come away from books like that feeling a bit.. underwhelmed, do know that there are others that might fit the bill a bit better.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

That's a fair comment.. I guess I don't really feel the need to get into the finer details as I kind of assume most folks would understand the gist of what i was meaning but, you're right.. the distinction does make a difference..

Eta: I do think that the kind of combative atheism we see so often should be properly termed anti-theist as, largely, the most vocal 'atheists' actually have an axe to grind with religion and the notion of god
edit on 13-11-2017 by Indrasweb because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

I know exactly what you meant.

Just pointing out that in this particular case we were asked for our opinions. Also, though I may have missed it, I have yet to see any significant amount of 'holier than thou' attitudes from either side or anywhere in between.

"Amazed by all the atheists who think a book they have read will turn Christians of faith"

Why couldn't that be a possibility? It's certainly one of the go-to things for Christians to suggest non-believers do. Read their book with an open mind. And again, the OP was specifically asking for atheist literature.

"Do you really not think that many Christians don't have questions, are scared of learning and reading and reasoning"

I don't think Christians don't have questions or think they are scared of learning and reasoning. Some certainly are, and to varying extents. Perhaps not scared but uncomfortable, or incapable. Depends on the individual.

"Do you think we don't read non Christian literature"

Again, that would depend on the individual. Some do, some don't.

That you are so much more educated than christians, so much more logical?

Just the uneducated and illogical ones. (ex: YEC)

edit on 11-13-2017 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Not everyone classifies having sex with a women as being a miracle

You think that having sex with women is a miracle? Well if that is what you think, good for you.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Regnor

Simple, where is the modern day faith?

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3daysgone

You think that having sex with women is a miracle? Well if that is what you think, good for you.

I believe he was saying the exact opposite.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: 3daysgone

I believe he was saying the exact opposite.

Either way. Good for him.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The book of self-interest, pride, haughtiness, contentions and obscuration (speaking from partial personal experience). Written by the god of this system of things* into the hearts of a large portion of mankind (*: also described as "Satan", "the Devil" and "the ruler of this world" in the bible). But it doesn't limit itself to encouraging or pushing people towards just atheism.

2 Timothy 3:1-7

But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3 having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, 4 betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride, lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, 5 having an appearance of godliness but proving false to its power; and from these turn away. 6 From among these arise men who slyly work their way into households and captivate weak women loaded down with sins, led by various desires, 7 always learning and yet never able to come to an accurate knowledge of truth.

These types of smoothtalkers:

Psychology: The Art of selling nonsense/contradictions part 1
Lucius Lavin (Stargate Atlantis character)

Also, the book of foolishness or senselessness, same author.

Psalm 14:1

The foolish* [Or “senseless.”] one says in his heart:
“There is no Jehovah.”
Their actions are corrupt, and their dealings are detestable;
No one is doing good.

Purposeful Design or Mindless Process? 1 of 2

I bolded "in his heart" for those who have been told and/or want to think that Atheism is 'only a lack of belief in....' etc. And that 'atheism or atheists don't literally say that' or however someone wants to phrase that in their minds or has told them as such. With that in mind ("in his heart"):

Jeremiah 17:9,10

9 The heart is more treacherous* [Or “deceitful.”] than anything else and is desperate.* [Or possibly, “incurable.”]

Who can know it?

10 I, Jehovah, am searching the heart,

Examining the innermost thoughts,* [Or “deepest emotions.” Lit., “kidneys.”]

To give to each one according to his ways,

According to the fruitage of his works.

edit on 17-11-2017 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join