It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can My Children Be Friends With White People?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Kettu

And that talk stems from the idea that American culture is somehow "white" which is something all white people are taught that it's not. We aren't allowed to claim it. It's not ours. It belongs to everyone, even black people who think there is some conspiracy making it not theirs.

So what are you personally doing on a daily basis to combat what you just said? What actions have and are you taking?

link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: Deaf Alien

False. It's already been demonstrated. If you are alright with racist beliefs then it's a free country. Just don't complain when other racist belief come up. Or be a hypocrite.

Again I condemn all racism, both sides.

link   
a reply to: Somethingsamiss

Growing up in MA a lot of black people I knew hated the African American term.

It's much more liked in SC where I live now.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Right. Getting in the NYT does nothing to 'spread it around'.

link   

You didn't here in this example.

link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

I will teach them to be cautious, I will teach them suspicion, and I will teach them distrust. Much sooner than I thought I would, I will have to discuss with my boys whether they can truly be friends with white people.

I think he is talking about living in the inner cities...

According to some posters he's talking about ALL white people.

link   

That's because he is.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Sorry, you have already made your actual feelings known.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam

You didn't here in this example.

Again I see your point and I agree. I do condemn all racism. The problem is I don't see this article as racist. He was asking children to be cautious due to the rise of white supremacists and what happened in Charlottesville. That's all there is to it.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Sorry, you have already made your actual feelings known.

Sorry but you are mistaken.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

originally posted by: Xtrozero

I will teach them to be cautious, I will teach them suspicion, and I will teach them distrust. Much sooner than I thought I would, I will have to discuss with my boys whether they can truly be friends with white people.

I think he is talking about living in the inner cities...

According to some posters he's talking about ALL white people.

Because he says he is. He clearly states the default position is you need to assume white people are all racist. A white person has to prove they are not a racist before you can start to trust them.

Let's flip that.

All black are racist unless they prove they are an ally to he white people. No problem right?

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
This is my favorite topic, white people trying to prove that its everybody else fault that there racist.

If it quacks like a duck its probably a duck.

If only we could create power from vapid and poorly written non-responses to threads ... NVM.

So did you have an opinion or just wanted to come in and be a troll?

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

All black are racist unless they prove they are an ally to he white people. No problem right?

Again I already told you I see your point. I do agree with that. But the very first paragraph sets the tone.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   

I will teach my boys to have profound doubts that friendship with white people is possible.

For many weary minorities, the ridiculous thing was thinking friendship was possible in the first place.

Spare me platitudes of how we are all the same on the inside.

Nope. Not racist at all.

At least he has the balls to publish his racist views in the New York Times to be read by millions as opposed to some bizarre apologists in this thread who can somehow read this crap and not see it as racist.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   

I will teach them to be cautious, I will teach them suspicion, and I will teach them distrust. Much sooner than I thought I would, I will have to discuss with my boys whether they can truly be friends with black people.

Black faces are swept together, ominous anxiety behind every chance encounter at the airport or smiling black cashier. If they are not clearly allies, they will seem unsafe to me.

Anyone have a problem with that?

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Kettu

And that talk stems from the idea that American culture is somehow "white" which is something all white people are taught that it's not. We aren't allowed to claim it. It's not ours. It belongs to everyone, even black people who think there is some conspiracy making it not theirs.

We are a nation of immigrants on one issue, but all other issues in the U.S. stem from white people.
This, from the same people and party of inclusiveness, that simultaneously compartmentalizes everyone by physical traits.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Again I already told you I see your point. I do agree with that. But the very first paragraph sets the tone.

Yes, the tone that ALL white people are racist. They ALL need to be distrusted unless they prove they are allise to black people.

WTF is an ally to the black people? Why can't I just be a nice person and respect everyone? Why do I need to pick allies?

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   

The problem is I don't see this article as racist. He was asking children to be cautious due to the rise of white supremacists and what happened in Charlottesville. That's all there is to it.

Then the problem is your reading comprehension and the assumptions you've built into the piece that contradict the explicit words written.

Like I've already said, using your logic, I should teach my son to be cautious of all POC because of what happened in....[insert the dozens of examples of organized protests by POC that were explicitly racisit].

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   
People are not born racist - they learn it.

Teaching a child that someone with a different skin color probably doesn't like you because of your skin color is wrong and perpetuates racism.

Parents like this NY Times author are the reason generations later we are still validating people with hate in their hearts.

Some parents may see this as a necessary conversation (because they believe their own racist biases are correct) but what is really happening is the seed is being planted that suggests to their children that it is ok to treat someone you don't know different because of their skin color.

It's racist to teach your child this way.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Yes, the tone that ALL white people are racist. They ALL need to be distrusted unless they prove they are allise to black people.

WTF is an ally to the black people? Why can't I just be a nice person and respect everyone? Why do I need to pick allies?

Because you share the same skin color as someone that owned slaves. It doesn't matter who you are, just your skin color. Sounds familiar doesn't it.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join