It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can My Children Be Friends With White People?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Just a food for thought and yes yes I know I love being contrary and I am doing it again but...
Would it be appropriate for the black people in the 19th and early 20th century to teach their children not to trust the white people?

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

You maybe a Redneck, maybe even white, but dumb?? No sir , not based off your reply..

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
Just a food for thought and yes yes I know I love being contrary and I am doing it again but...
Would it be appropriate for the black people in the 19th and early 20th century to teach their children not to trust the white people?

That's an interesting question, and as a white dude I really can't speak from a place of authority. I can imagine that actions speak louder than words, and given the history between black/white people from about 1850-1950...I'd probably not trust white people like myself.

This entire discussion has descended into a disappointing victim-card pulling, blame-shifting thread of white fragility. I'm really disappointed in Americans who look like me. Have fun guys, ya'll win the internet tonight.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

Do you know what a dog whistle is?

It's a whistle only dogs hear.

So if you heard a dog whistle, then you must be the dog.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Were those different times?

Or are we still living them?

There was once a time when people living in coastal Europe taught their kids not to trust Vikings. Should we still teach out children to beware large Scandinavians?

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Kettu

Do you know what a dog whistle is?

It's a whistle only dogs hear.

So if you heard a dog whistle, then you must be the dog.

OUCH!

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Apparently some do.
And apparently the rise of racism and white supremacy doesn't help.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

I question that it is rising so much as it's sort of always been there at this anemic level.

I think the perceived rise is mainly due to the press playing it up.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if there is always a steady low percentage of every population that has racial issues with others.

But the press is playing all this like the freakin' Star Wars trilogy. Epi IV "A New Hype" featured Obama. RIght now we have "The Trumpire Strikes Back" with the accompanying so-called rise of white nationalism. Just wait for "Revenge of the Sick" with whomever they get to run in 2020 and the racial howling it turns loose!

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I question that it is rising so much as it's sort of always been there at this anemic level.

I think the perceived rise is mainly due to the press playing it up.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if there is always a steady low percentage of every population that has racial issues with others.

But the press is playing all this like the freakin' Star Wars trilogy. Epi IV "A New Hype" featured Obama. RIght now we have "The Trumpire Strikes Back" with the accompanying so-called rise of white nationalism. Just wait for "Revenge of the Sick" with whomever they get to run in 2020 and the racial howling it turns loose!

I am a Star Wars fan and I think I love you.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   

a reply to: ketsuko

Apparently some do.
And apparently the rise of racism and white supremacy doesn't help.

Times are changing for sure, but have not changed, what used to be common is less so, we are still living in a time of flux, I'd hate to live in the 50ts and further back, but this is no post racial utopia, who made Dylan Roof?? He is a freakin millennial who is going to DIE!! over some 19th century bull snip.
edit on 12-11-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Yeah.
I wonder how many would hurl insults at the author if we lived in the early 1900's. Granted he might be fearful and paranoid but we gotta ask what experience he went through and what did his parents and grandparents taught him.
And the OP's insult of this being "leftist garbage" adds insult to the injury.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

Still don't understand why people are so outraged over an opinion piece.

Hey, white supremacy is just an opinion too. No need to be critical of it. Just an opinion.

Maybe they can have that opinion article next week. It's just an opinion. No need to think about it critically. Right? No reason to point out that it's racist.

Just an opinion piece.

Do opinions mow down people?

Okay. I don't know where you are taking this nor how to follow you there.

Crime is not opinion. Crime is crime.

Essentially, to you, opinion is fine unless you disagree with it. Got it.

No. The very first paragraph starts with what happened in Charlottesville. A white supremacist mowed down people with his car. That what prompted the children's questions. He was concerned for their safety.
There is all to it.

And clearly all white people are the same, all klan in disguise amirite. The very first paragraph starts with a racist idea.

Nope. Not all white people.

Just most huh?

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Still don't understand why people are so outraged over an opinion piece.

Hey, white supremacy is just an opinion too. No need to be critical of it. Just an opinion.

Maybe they can have that opinion article next week. It's just an opinion. No need to think about it critically. Right? No reason to point out that it's racist.

Just an opinion piece.

Do opinions mow down people?

Okay. I don't know where you are taking this nor how to follow you there.

Crime is not opinion. Crime is crime.

Essentially, to you, opinion is fine unless you disagree with it. Got it.

No. The very first paragraph starts with what happened in Charlottesville. A white supremacist mowed down people with his car. That what prompted the children's questions. He was concerned for their safety.
There is all to it.

And clearly all white people are the same, all klan in disguise amirite. The very first paragraph starts with a racist idea.

Nope. Not all white people.

Just most huh?

A few.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Yikes!
I hope you dont plan to teach your offspring how to hate. I bet you can teach them how to love and achieve greater things?

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   

My beef with the author is by proposing such a ridiculous premise you immediately put the side you need to talk to on the defensive.

The author effectively became what they feared when looking at white people, judging people purely off their skin color is racist.

But instead we as a country seem to be dividing more into camps based off insanely narrow points of view, when in my dumb hick opinion its much simpler than the mess it is being portrayed as.

Kids need to be taught if someone treats you like garbage get them out of your life as much as possible, if someone treats you well then invite them into your life.

-------
General rambling mildly incoherent rant incoming.

I was dating a girl whos parents were from cuba, I really liked this girl and things were going great she wanted me to meet the folks so I went over for dinner. Needless to say bringing this skinny white guy into the house did not go over well, I did not speak much Spanish, understood a bit more and it took me about 10 seconds to figure out the problem.

So I sat through the dinner with a slight smile plastered on my face, as they ignored me (speaking only in Spanish) and on at least a few occasions insulted me. (judged by my girlfriends reactions to what they said)

At the end I helped clean up the table smiled at the mother and said Gracias por la cena, I never lost that slight smile and left to go home leaving them wondering how much I understood. (she dumped me later, said the family made the demand)

First time I encountered overt racism, wouldn't be the last never dated a white girl till I was in my 30's and I was judged almost every single time purely off of my skin color (ETA by the family and the friends of the girls). (except a Puerto rican girl, her family was a riot loved going over to their house for dinner... lost her to an arranged marriage, weird thing to find out that was still a thing in the 20th century)

Anyways its late Im a little loopy and a little buzzed, the point is racism is not the soul domain of white people and until we own up to that fact it will be impossible to have an actual discussion about it, and people like the author of the article damage the discussion much more than they help it.
edit on 12-11-2017 by Irishhaf because: additional thought

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   

There is no rise in racism or white supremacy. There has been a rise in Nationalism. Nationalism is not by definition Racism.

You're being deceived.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

There is no rise in racism or white supremacy. There has been a rise in Nationalism. Nationalism is not by definition Racism.

You're being deceived.

That's the perception. Charlottesville is one such example in the media.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   

And that was unfortunate, by O.P to lump and dump into the broader spectrum of Leftist vs Rightists , however the author would do better to to teach his child to choose his friends wisely on an individual basis rather than one based off ethnicity, as my personal life experience taught me, there are individual who look just like me I wouldn't trust with anything based off their lack worthiness yet others who differs from me in form and features, who are godfather to my kids.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Reply to Kettu:

That's an interesting question, and as a white dude I really can't speak from a place of authority.

OMG, how many times do you have to point out that you're a 'white dude'??? That white people have no "authority" when it comes to feeling judged based on skin color? You are so indoctrinated by this constant blathering that you cannot even write a post that has an original thought in it.

Seriously, this is EXACTLY why we are in a crap-hole of idiocy and politically correct racism in this country. Why should it matter what race you are (although darn near every post has you pointing it out, and how you have 'minority friends'....virtue signal much???)? Why is it that you think that white people should somehow be squashed down and shut up because they aren't black?

Whites also suffered slavery and indentured servitude. Native Americans were darn near wiped off the map. The origin of the word 'slave' comes from "Slav", in which Eastern Europeans were slaves to Muslims.

It's all the same garbage. It's the nature of the beast. Sooo tired of this holier-than-thou foolishness from self-hating whites. So tired of 17% of this country dictating what the other 83% is supposed to say or not say, think or not think. Thanks to folks like you, we're going backwards in this country with regards to race relations and desegregation.

This is 2017. Your language and choice of words belies your own leftist brainwashing. Take your self-righteous halo, your parroting of racist ideology disguised as caring for POC, your waving of "I have minority friends" banner, and go march in a "White People Suck" parade.

We are backsliding into segregation and racist ideology in reverse. A mirror image of what was wrong before. This is not progress. This is idiocy. Nobody wins in this game. Nobody "wins the internet" either, Mr. Whistle.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

And that was unfortunate, by O.P to lump and dump into the broader spectrum of Leftist vs Rightists , however the author would do better to to teach his child to choose his friends wisely on an individual basis rather than one based off ethnicity, as my personal life experience taught me, there are individual who look just like me I wouldn't trust with anything based off their lack worthiness yet others who differs from me in form and features, who are godfather to my kids.

Agreed. That's my whole beef with the OP.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join