It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can My Children Be Friends With White People?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13
a reply to: infolurker

Children are taught.

Teach them to love everyone.

Done deal.

Amen again.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Kettu
a reply to: infolurker

I have a black friend that's well educated and works at a university. We had a long talk a while back about "the talk" that his father gave him. It amounted to "it's a white man's world son, and you have to go along to get along". Apparently it's not an unusual thing.

White people, however, just aren't aware that black parents have been having to have "the talk" with their kids.

Things like endless protests over nothing, the instant victim card, and the ever popular race card played the instant any opinionated friction is detected, would seem to indicate "the talk" goes in one ear and right out the other with a lot of this generation...

Are you talking about white people or black people here?

Because there sure seems to be a lot of that instant victim card, endless protesting and race card being pulled by frightened and angry white people in America.

"There's a war on white America!"

"There's a war on Christianity!"

"BLM are terrorists who want to ruin America!"

"They don't want equal rights, they want special rights!"

And let's not forget the desperate attempt to paint the NFL knee-taking as some kind of anti-American thing when the entire purpose was to point out police brutality against POC. That's pretty sad and pathetic of white people to do.

And I'm a white dude, who apparently should feel upset and outraged. If I manage to be OK with all of this, I don't understand why you and others have such a problem? I guess I'm just a self-hating white guy or something?

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: cenpuppie
a reply to: Kettu

White people, however, just aren't aware that black parents have been having to have "the talk" with their kids.

This.

Of course, if black parents had really been having "the talk" with their kids, don't you think there would be fewer unwed black mothers?

I mean, that was the purpose of "the talk" my parents had with me.

I'm not sure if you are trying to be racist/prejudiced with that comment, or just totally unaware of how it comes across? It's comments like yours that prove to me we still have a long, long way to go in this country.

SMH

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   

If you're 'ok with this', meaning the article, then I'd venture a guess that you must be Donald Sutherland.

edit on 12-11-2017 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire
It's an opinion article.

Don't trigger yourself too hard on some dudes opinion.

Yeah, I wouldn't have let my kids be friends with their kids anyway because they are too racist.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam

If you're 'ok with this', meaning the article, then I'd venture a guess that you must be Donald Sutherland.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

a reply to: Deaf Alien

OMG. There are cannibals in the world too. Shut the front door. Some hungry people out there!

Holy hyberbole!!!

Hardly, there are more cannibals than there are incidents of racists running over people.

Sorry the facts don't match your narrative.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: proximo

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

OMG. There are cannibals in the world too. Shut the front door. Some hungry people out there!

Holy hyberbole!!!

Hardly, there are more cannibals than there are incidents of racists running over people.

Sorry the facts don't match your narrative.

Is that you Jeffrey Dahmer?

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

70% of black children being born to unwed mothers is neither bigoted nor prejudiced. It's fact.

www.politifact.com...

Even Don Lemon agrees with me on that.
edit on 12-11-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

I have open and honest dialogues with people of various backgrounds and ethnicities. I keep an open mind and support my minority friends when asked.

I vote for policies that move America away from a troubled, racist, and oppressive past.

I volunteer my time in my community (when present) to make it a better, more inclusive place on weekends.

And who are you to ask me who I am to ask such a question? I'm free to ask people such questions when I feel they've opened themselves up to such a question.

I'm sorry you feel the need to go to extremes, claiming the need to hang anything around your neck. That's on you, no one else. You are making yourself feel the need to do that.

White dude here: you are not a victim, unless you want and choose to be a victim.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Sooner or later, we all have to move on and the best way I can see for this to happen is for us all to stop teaching our kids to be suspicious based on skin color.

I agree but how do we do that, yes we can tell our kids this or that behavior is bad, until they meet up with peers that told them different, or ran into a bad situation that makes a liar out of us.

I understand not everyone had the same experience I had where one can grow up among a wide variety ethnic groups be friends to this day without
pretending the world is all kumbyah,
but I am witnessing a retreat of AA kids back into HBCUs which is great for those institutions, but the reasons behind it is troubling, an uptick in softcore racism.on wider campuses made more troubling through social networks.ie Blackface memes, nooses left in places etc, many think this is precious snow flacky stuff, and to a point I agree,
I'm of that generation that would whoop that ass instead of seeking safe space if so offended, but then I look at my own kids and they are comparatively soft , do I dare send them to finish their higher learning in the States to be so exposed or send them to safe space HBCUs.

edit on 12-11-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   

70% of black children being born to unwed mothers is neither bigoted nor prejudiced. It's fact.

So you're going to start using "statistics" to distract from the fact you made a smarmy comment about "the talk" black parents have with their children regarding racism in America, and turn it into something about sex-ed/birth control and unwed black mothers?

That's a dog whistle, plain and simple.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

How much of that is real racism, how much of that is fake?

The incident at the Air Force Academy that promoted the famous Lt. General's speech? Faked.

There was an incident at my alma mater just in the past two months? Also faked.

Now granted, not all of them are faked, but how much is faked? How much is backlash against the sorts of things we see going on like what took place at Mizzou where the students took over the campus and now every incoming white freshman has to take a mandatory course in cultural sensitivity whether they need it or not ... presumed racist from the start?

I know I'll not let my son set foot on that campus or any other like it. I wouldn't feel safe with him going there.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Lol

All that RL effort to champion 'inclusiveness' just so you can come on these boards to repeatedly paint with a broad brush, disparaging rural people, people of faith, conservatives, and Trump voters.

Well, done.

That most work in your mind like carbon credits.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kettu

So you're going to start using "statistics" to distract from the fact you made a smarmy comment about "the talk" black parents have with their children regarding racism in America, and turn it into something about sex-ed/birth control and unwed black mothers?

That's a dog whistle, plain and simple.

And you're attacking me to distract from your likewise smarmy comments about the super-secret black talk that every black parent must have, and if we white people don't know then we're racist.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

Wait, are you painting someone you don't know over the internet with a broad brush yourself. . . ?

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Have to take color out of the discussion, got to teach kids to judge by how people interact with them is more important than skin color.

Also there is no quick simple fix for this, it will take decades of education and hard work to actually marginalize racism, cause eliminating it will never happen.

But what do I know, we have some politicians and some members of the press praising the idea of judging people by their color, Im just some dumb redneck middle aged white guy.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Im addressing specifically your posts. No brush required.

Didn't you just recently post that rural America should not have been allowed to stage a coup by voting? Or in this thread (maybe it was another) that people who didn't agree with you should go back to their nazcar and ball playing.

That's just two of a dozen comments I've seen you make recently that are plain ridiculous.

And now you are in this thread defending an article written by someone with an obvious racist view.
edit on 12-11-2017 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Can we all agree that fear leads to irrational decisions?

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I never said anyone was racist for not knowing about black parents talking to their kids about racism in America.

Please, dig through my past posts in this thread, and post them here for us all to see where I indicated that you or any other white person is "racist" for not knowing about it?

And I'm not attacking you to distract from anything. I'm pointing out obvious dog whistles that shouldn't be be ignored.

And why are you using terms like "super secret". I never used that term. You are trying to intentionally make me, and my position seem anti-white intentionally. You are setting yourself up to be a victim when you clearly aren't a victim of anything.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join