It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vietnam dissident locked in home for protesting Trump

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   

A dissident musician dubbed the 'Lady Gaga' of Vietnam was locked in her home by plainclothes police Saturday after she flashed a sign reading "Piss on you Trump" as the US president arrived in town for a state visit.

Mai Khoi, who met with former president Barack Obama on his trip to Vietnam last year to talk about the country's dismal rights record, has long called for the communist government to ease its heavy restrictions on expression and political participation in her music.

The one-party state routinely jails its critics and is accused of waging a crackdown on dissidents in the months leading up to Trump's visit to Vietnam, which included an Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) leaders' meeting in Danang and a stopover in Hanoi.

www.france24.com...

I gotta admit it makes me glad we have the 1st amendment.
edit on 11/11/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Freedom of speech doesn't guarantee you can insult or disrespect people and get away with that.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

So your saying that we should be arrested for criticizing a political leader?

Did you even read the part where it says she was under house arrest?

Seriously, why don't you go to North Korea?

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Yes it does. In general it is exactly why we have it. Especially in regards to being critical of the government.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

dubbed the 'Lady Gaga' of Vietnam

Maybe its the "lady Gaga" bit the Vietnamese have a problem with? Seem's fair to me they "house confined" her. Lady Gaga is ugly.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Well a few weeks ago a woman lost her job in the US for giving the Trump motorcade the finger and posting it Meh

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

As stated earlier,if you read the article, this lady went under house arrest. Losing your job and going under house arrest are two different things.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   

I gotta admit it makes me glad we have the 1st amendment.

Trump doesn't think so. Calling everything "Fake News" without backing it up with facts, is a direct attack on the 1st Amendment right to a "Free Press." Dictating how people should express themselves in protest is also a direct attack on our 1st amendment.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   
It is not good to have the citizens of your country out protesting the leader of another country. Especially if that country and it's businesses are involved in protecting your country and providing for your economic security. Most people think we have unlimited freedom of speech, but if your speech jeopardizes the security of our country, no law can protect you. It can be considered treason. We cannot start violently protesting a leader of another country when they come here, those doing that can be shot if they appear to be a threat to that leader. Our rights are not what most people think they are, they do have limitations.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

I'm not American, but I agree. Calling everything fake news is no different than flipping someone off in my opinion...One actually has much more direct impact and ripple effect than the other.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Violently protesting and standing there holding a sign which said "Piss on you Trump" are two very different things...and neither actually put the security of your country at risk. Most of these countries can self sustain without international trade.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   

But the lady didn't commit acts of violence. All she did was make a sign and she didn't even threaten the safety of Vietnam or the Communist Party. Going under house arrest is going too far.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

We don't need Trump to show proof or "back up claims" of fake news, it is right before our faces. CNN especially. Vehement lies and political trickery that you and I can witness. Trump is winning.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   
We are free from imprisonment by the Government and free to express our opinions, but not free from potential societal consequences. Obviously we have seen many instances where someone who is for or against certain political positions where people have been punished or boycotted by society.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: chadderson

Freedom of the press is an important thing.

So is accountability. When you only have one of those things... mayhem.

On topic, she held a vulgar sign and was told to go back inside. So what?

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: chadderson

I guess the church shootings, the shootings in Vegas, Trump's Campaign Videos, his live televised speeches, were all fake???? Stop being so naïve! If you haven't watched the numerous video recordings of his blatant lies and contradictions, you're just blindly following the Pied Pipers lead and ignoring what's in front of your own eyes! You have to be living in a cave not to realize it.

I'm not a 100% in the corner of the news media. They both slant their views left or right. Both left and right leaning medias have been caught staging news. However, one thing you can't ignore is basic facts. Trump has proven time and time again he doesn't research the facts before he talks about an issue. He causes a lot of the negative press himself not the media. No matter whether you like the media or not, taking all cues and news from a government official or our President is a path to dictatorship. It was the main reason why our founding fathers wanted to protect a free press.

The only thing Trump is winning at, is creating a path toward his own impeachment.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

Well a few weeks ago a woman lost her job in the US for giving the Trump motorcade the finger and posting it Meh

What does losing her job have to do with the 2nd amendment?

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

But the lady didn't commit acts of violence. All she did was make a sign and she didn't even threaten the safety of Vietnam or the Communist Party. Going under house arrest is going too far.
If we allowed people to protest the leader of Germany, knowing in advance it was going to happen, it would not be a good step in the relationship our countries have together.

That is their country, they have their own rules that need to be followed. We should not be judging the leaders of their society, we are just allies. In the case of China years ago, they were actually killing people that opposed the country and putting them in prison for speaking up. Now, we were able to work out some of this, but we never did anything to China for their actions. We have no right to try to force our ways on other countries that are our allies, their ways are different. We also do not have the right to judge the government of the Philippians. Their president is getting rid of the drug people and the majority of their people are happy, they can now walk on the streets without worrying about getting killed or robbed. It was getting real bad there, so they are killing the bad ones. I think they may be going a little overboard but that is their country and it was getting way out of control.

That is off topic, but I would not want some other forcing us to live in a disruptive society. I know someone who came from Vietnam, they wanted to move here because of the freedoms but now they are experiencing a runaway society here which seems really upsetting to them. Our society has become entitled, we keep the farmer worrying about going bankrupt while giving people lots of money for doing things that are not a necessity to our society. Is that right?

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: chadderson Haha your funny. Trump is no winner. Step behind your curtain and take a look. No party is winning. I dare say you may be a lost souls. Please come back to reason and help yourself. On point to the OP this lady being on house arrest is horrible. It is a sign and her got should protect the right of free speech. Though I do not know their laws. But c'mon

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

Freedom of speech doesn't guarantee you can insult or disrespect people and get away with that.

Pretty sure it does, from the gov't that is.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join