It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy and sad on this Remembrance Day.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Remembrance Day is a day of reflection for me, probably for many as well. Military family. My generation is the first to not have served. I was going through my FB feed earlier and my daughter posted this:

That made me happy and proud that she took in what is important. Then I saw a post my sister made with a pic of my Grandfather in his uniform when he was overseas. A very young man. He's been gone 17 years and I still miss him. It's a bittersweet feeling.

So happy or sad hope you have a good Remembrance Day. And thanks to all the servicepeople/veterans here of all countries.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   
We attended the ceremony this morning.
4 planes flying in formation over head, the trumpets, then the gun salute.
There was at least 5000 in attendance.
Very nice ceremony.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I have never faulted a single soul for not serving.

It's not for everyone.

I get a small note from my father every year. He says thanks. And he's a big time hero. Not some uniformed twerp like me.

It's always good, regardless of the day, month, year, to just remember.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Aside from a few uncles who didn't really talk much about WW2 my mind always thinks about the uncle I never knew . Gran's baby boy Albert . I guess my sadness was more for her sadness .

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

What do you know about him?

Any story you can share with us?

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

He was a country boy . Granddad was a lumber man and all the boys worked the woods pre war .Albert was assigned to a part of the Marine cor where they basically ran outside interference for the main fleet . It was kind of a suicide mission the way it was explained to me as a kid . One of his older brothers David was a messenger and rode motorcycles . He told me a few bad stories ,one where he broke his neck from hitting a wire stretched across the road . Some of his buddies were not as fortunate . Gran had this piece she kept on top of her dresser with a picture of him and all the medals . My mom was barley old enough to have remembered him so she never shared and stories about him . The rest of the family never said much .

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Both my grandfathers were WWII, Pacific Theater. One flew a bomber enough that he got his wings for 50 missions. All the pilots had those wings made into bracelets for their wives/sweethearts.

The other one was in the navy during the island hopping. He talked about his service a lot less. I am guessing he saw some stuff he'd rather not talk about. We do know whatever he was up to, he saw the flash from one of the bombs while they were staging to have to maybe invade mainland Japan.

My father-in-law is a Vietnam vet and my dad narrowly missed being drafted.

I have a step-nephew who served as part of an IED disposal crew recently.

We remember our relatives on both sides.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Sounds like a cool ceremony. Where was it, if you don't mind me asking? If so, no problem. I am mainly just curious. I wish that they had something like that planned here locally, (Mid MI) but it has been pretty cold for the last couple of days.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   

One of the wonderful things about many if not all of the military men and women i have known in my life is that they know all too well that battles are fought on fronts of every day life, military or not.

The compassion these fine people have shown towards others, including myself, knowing what they have seen and been through, is nothing short of beautiful.

God bless them.

edit on 11-11-2017 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: darkwingduck

Cold?
It started snowing October 15th...hasn't stopped for longer than 2 days since.
We have a foot of snow here lol!
But that's some what expected...I'm in Thunder Bay Ontario, Canada.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Remembrance day here yesterday in Australia as well . It always amazes me how brave these men and women were and i wonder if i could have been so brave and was pondering that yesterday . If my country was threatened as it was in WW2 yes i think i would be front and centre , but a war like Vietnam , well who knows . I guess if i was old enough to get drafted i would have gone . Brave people , very brave , on both sides . Pretty sure the average German didn't want to be shot at .
edit on 12-11-2017 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-11-2017 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 03:44 AM
link   

If my country was threatened as it was in WW2 yes i think i would be front and centre , but a war like Vietnam , well who knows . I guess if i was old enough to get drafted i would have gone .

I feel sad for all the people who died to keep England England - look what is happening now - Brexit! Isn't that what WW2 was about?
All those people who died in vain - so so sad.

top topics

join