It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. soldier in Niger ambush was bound and apparently executed, villagers say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   
More information is starting to come to light about the ambush on 04 October that left four Americans and ten Nigerien soldiers killed. The Pentagon and FBI have both sent investigators to Niger to try and figure out what exactly transpired that lead to the ambush and killings, and so far it's looking like it was a bit of a #show.

Synopsis: the body of Sgt. Johnson was found by villagers nearly a mile from the initial ambush site; his hands were bound and he had a "gaping wound" in the back of his head. The villagers contacted the Nigerien military in the area, and they (Nigerian military) are the ones that recovered the remains. Johnson's remains weren't recovered for a full two days until after the others'.

The other three dead Americans were stripped of their equipment and uniform and were found at the initial ambush site.

It appears that the team was using unarmored vehicles and was lightly armed; this is possibly due to a change in mission; there are reports from the DoD that the mission was simply a reconnaissance mission. The Nigerien military is saying the mission was both a recon mission and an attempt to capture a militant leader.

The team was supposed to be on a one day mission, but at some point decided to stay out overnight and then continue mission the next day. Nigerien officials believe this decision gave jihadists (the word they use) the opportunity to surveil the team and coordinate about 50 fighters for the ambush. The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs says

“I think a probably more accurate description than ‘stayed overnight’ was they caught a couple of hours of sleep after the 3rd and before they completed their mission on the 4th.”

All in all, it's starting to look like an intelligence failure, a command failure, or both.

The Pentagon says they're investigation likely won't be complete until some time after New Year's, so all of this information is coming from either Nigeriens who are willing to talk, or from anonymous officials familiar with the investigation.

WaPo article

Fox article

Fair warning, both articles mention the "White House response" to the incident, more specifically to the whole phone call debate. That's really not the point of this thread, though.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Unfortunate as it is, "That is how the chips fall."

There is an old saying, "Never go into another's house and not expect to get taken care of."

If you don't want your "head-lopped off" keep it out of everyone else's cookie jar.

Oh a rapper once said, "Don't start no stuff there won't be no stuff."

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: hiddenlight

I'm not really interested in platitudes, though I thank you for providing several of them.

I'm far more interested in finding out what lead to them being where they were, when they were there, in the condition they were, at the time of the ambush.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Those with the responsibility for should be made to face the consequences.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   
He probably surrendered instead of being killed in the ambush and at first they took him prisoner, then realized the uS would destroy the world to get him back, so they killed him.

'No solder left behind' reputation had its own cruel consequences?

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Well, I see at least you are reading my other posts. When you got something that passes the "smell and the crapper" test, let me know. Besides, even if "you did get to know" I can gauruntteeee that not only will it be "totally useless and inapplicable information" to you and everyone else who reads your posts, but chances are you will spin your wheels long into the eternal night.

How do I know this. At best all you will get is a few ATS stars. At worst, you will continue to spin your wheels on ATS like everyone else here.

You're Welcome

edit on 11-11-2017 by hiddenlight because: logic bomb

edit on 11-11-2017 by hiddenlight because: laughing at this guy

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

That thought crossed my mind too.

Though I'm not entirely convinced that they wouldn't think his propaganda value outweighed the risks of the military coming to look for him. It's certainly an angle that needs to be looked in to.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: hiddenlight

K.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   

What on earth where they doing in Nigeria.. Oh silly me there is oil there..

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

Well it's Niger, not Nigeria. But there's still oil.

And Uranium.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

When you got something that passes the "smell and the crapper" test, let me know. Besides, even if "you did get to know" I can gauruntteeee that not only will it be "totally useless and inapplicable information" ...

Got a link for that "guaranteed" scratch and sniff test , or just talking out your ass?

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Question -
Why is the FBI involved?

top topics

join