It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pro-life student group wins settlement after professor tries to kick away chalk messages

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   
It is disappointing that our institutions for higher learning are now becoming Leftist echo chambers. Only certain messages will be allowed on campus and this wingnut professor actually claims that "college campuses" are not free speech areas".

Well, it IS a public university so I think it actually IS a free speech institution and to top it off the students had requested and received specific permission for their event and messages.

Thank Goodness justice was served in this case and the idiot professor is going to undergo 1st Amendment training as part of the deal.

Article Source

A California professor who is seen on video trying to censor pro-life students drawing with sidewalk chalk has been ordered to undergo First Amendment training and pay $17,000 as a result of a district court settlement. Fresno State University public health professor Dr. Gregory Thatcher recruited students from his class to help deface the Fresno State Students for Life sidewalk chalk.

Thatcher allegedly harassed and intimidated the group, accusing them of chalking outside the free speech zone on campus -- which hadn't existed at the school since 2015.

“What the professor did was wrong, and the only permit a student needs to speak on campus is the First Amendment,” the pro-life club’s president, Bernadette Tasy, told Fox News.

The chalk messages encouraged students on campus to seek pro-life health care options.

edit on 2017/11/10 by Metallicus because: eta

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Only certain messages will be allowed on campus and this wingnut professor actually claims that "college campuses" are not "free speech areas".

He should get along great with those I'm conversing with on another thread.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Only certain messages will be allowed on campus and this wingnut professor actually claims that "college campuses" are not "free speech areas".

I guess I am old fashioned, but college campuses should be the BEST places to challenge others with ideas. Free speech should be an absolute right on a college campus...especially a public university.

edit on 2017/11/10 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I guess I am old fashioned, but college campuses should be the BEST places to challenge others with ideas. Free speech should be an absolute right on a college campus...especially a public university.

I agree. Considering the current trend though, seems free speech is being written out of everyday life. What better place to indoctrinate future business and political students than college?

They will sow what they know.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Trying to erase chalk messages is a part of free speech also. Interesting concept. Not saying it's new just something to think about.

Oh and GO STEELERS!

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   

It is disappointing that our institutions for higher learning are now becoming Leftist echo chambers. Only certain messages will be allowed on campus and this wingnut professor actually claims that "college campuses" are not free speech areas".

Well, it IS a public university so I think it actually IS a free speech institution and to top it off the students had requested and received specific permission for their event and messages.

Thank Goodness justice was served in this case and the idiot professor is going to undergo 1st Amendment training as part of the deal.

Article Source

A California professor who is seen on video trying to censor pro-life students drawing with sidewalk chalk has been ordered to undergo First Amendment training and pay $17,000 as a result of a district court settlement. Fresno State University public health professor Dr. Gregory Thatcher recruited students from his class to help deface the Fresno State Students for Life sidewalk chalk.

Thatcher allegedly harassed and intimidated the group, accusing them of chalking outside the free speech zone on campus -- which hadn't existed at the school since 2015.

“What the professor did was wrong, and the only permit a student needs to speak on campus is the First Amendment,” the pro-life club’s president, Bernadette Tasy, told Fox News.

The chalk messages encouraged students on campus to seek pro-life health care options.

The part I find funny is that he accuses her using free speech in a non-free speech area. Then he uses his "free speech" in a non- free speech area. That makes him a hypocrite at best. lol.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Thats akin to book burning, are you seriously saying shutting down free speech by erasing it is free speech?

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

Thats akin to book burning, are you seriously saying shutting down free speech by erasing it is free speech?

You can't erase ideas. And you do realize that those chalk messages will fade away, especially when it's raining? I guess clouds are against free speech.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Interesting!

It is a bit graffiti'ish.

But I'm liking this:

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

How about writing words over other words? Or adding to it? Is that free speech?

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   

So by that token you are all for the shutting down by screaming as has been shown in countless University events. He who screams loudest is justified in drowning out rational calm debate. Bring on the mega horns to drown out your opponent.

In effect you do not believe in free speech; you are for censoring free speech if you were to be intellectuality honest.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Is poster boy there was spray painting over it instead, that's free speech right?

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Is poster boy there was spray painting over it instead, that's free speech right?

Adding speech to another's speech is free speech, right?

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Bring on the mega horns to drown out your opponent.

So bring the biggest mega horns anyone ever seen then to counteract.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Did he lose the case because he smudged their chalk or for harassing people that were exercising their rights?

Both are dickish, but I can only think the later is what got him in trouble.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
Did he lose the case because he smudged their chalk or for harassing people that were exercising their rights?

Both are dickish, but I can only think the later is what got him in trouble.

Yeah. This thread is just one of many opportunities to bash the big bad "leftists".

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Your missing the big picture there Metallicus! Ever wonder how Berkeley University was once the bastion of free speech but is now the bastion of hate speech?

I'll tell ya why. The Marxist college professors at that time were taking over and brainwashing our children! They used our 1st amendment against us!!!!!!

Now that they have a cult of students who worship their preachings of how bad their country is, they NOW are against free speech!

edit on 10-11-2017 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

IMO, it would be unless the original free speech owner still protests at that physical location.

Once the free specs demonstration had been abandoned, it's right to exist was gone. At least on public property, that is.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

IMO, it would be unless the original free speech owner still protests at that physical location.

Once the free specs demonstration had been abandoned, it's right to exist was gone. At least on public property, that is.

Good point.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Fresno State is a public university.

The professor is a government employee, therefore is he acting as an agent of the state of California. The 1A does apply, and he cannot take any action to censor or prevent free speech.

The system worked.

He should've gotten far worse.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join