It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing Books Order for Two New Air Force One 747 Jumbo Jets

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Boeing scored the honor to build the 2 new 747's that will be used by future presidents. And they are not building them for free, base price is $350,000,000 each. But this cost does not account for the extra's for security/tech and decking out that will be needed to meet some pretty high standards I would think.

The 747-8 model sells for about $351 million at list price, but the extensive changes required for a presidential aircraft will substantially increase the price tag.

Should be ready in 2024 for whom ever is pres. The story also said that Boeing stock is up over 67% since the start of this year. WOW.

The U.S. Air Force said in September that it wants the twin 747 jumbo jets available for use starting in 2024. Boeing first won the contract to build the new presidential aircraft, known as Air Force One when the President is on board, in August. Modifications on the recently ordered jets are set to start in 2019.
www.thestreet.com...

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

It's an interesting order. They've already built the aircraft and they're stored at Victorville. They were built originally for a Russian airline, but never even made paint before they went bankrupt, leaving the aircraft in Washington.

Boeing will do basic restoration on them, to return them to airworthy condition, then fly them to the finishing facility for installation of all the required equipment.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

That is some long term planning. 2024 is some time to have a plane sitting and getting modified.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

They won't start until 2019. It'll take Boeing several months to return them to flight, then they have to flight test them before sending them on.

When their say "modification", they're not talking about adding a couple pylons or extra radios. They're going to strip them down to the frame, detach the wings and tail, add fuel tanks, VIP interior, self contained stairs,baggage conveyor belt, self protection system, wiring for all that, extra communications gear.....

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I recall during the election that the price Obama agreed to was too high for Trump. I hope can get these at a discount since they're not exactly brand new. Kind of like buying a demo at a car dealer. Not quite new but not really used either.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: LogicalGraphitti

They're doing technology maturation work on some of the new systems that will bring the costs down, as well as using some off the shelf technology. They've already dropped the cost quite a bit.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
What I dont get is... these are planes for one of the most important people im the world paid for by the richest moat advanced country in the world..

Why wouldnt Air Force One be a.completelt proprietary plane built an designed for transporting the president?

A giant plane utilizing all stealth technology, massive fuel tanks, advanced armor, detacheable eacape craft.... and a plane with the capabilities for crazy evasive maneuvers.

I feel like thats what air force one should be. Not some industry standard shell passenger aircraft outfitted with top of the line equipment.

It should be its own thing.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

Because if it was, then building two of them would cost the entire DoD budget for two years, at least, and take 15+ years to certify.

The 787 program cost Boeing somewhere in the neighborhood of $32B to develop. There are something like 600 aircraft that have been delivered to date, and Boeing still isn't showing a profit. There's a very real chance that it will never show a profit on the airframe.

The list price, which is never paid, for a 747-8I is $380M. By modifying an existing commercial aircraft, the cost of the airframe is spread out over all the aircraft ordered. The more aircraft bought, whether it's to airlines or the military, the more the development cost is spread out, and the lower you can get the unit cost down.
edit on 11/10/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox
What I dont get is... these are planes for one of the most important people im the world paid for by the richest moat advanced country in the world..

Why wouldnt Air Force One be a.completelt proprietary plane built an designed for transporting the president?

A giant plane utilizing all stealth technology, massive fuel tanks, advanced armor, detacheable eacape craft.... and a plane with the capabilities for crazy evasive maneuvers.

I feel like thats what air force one should be. Not some industry standard shell passenger aircraft outfitted with top of the line equipment.

Because that would take decades to hammer out all the problems with the airframe and avionics. Then you would have to train pilots specially for that aircraft. Air traffic controllers across the world would not be familiar with the flight characteristics of a custom aircraft. Using a standard airframe solves all those problems, and allows existing equipment to be used. All they have to do is add the custom furnishings, communications and defenses.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

Air Force One is a symbol of the Presidency and the United States. If you build something liked you mentioned it becomes a symbol of the military. Not the impression we want to make when flying into country. Also, anything that needs to be big, to carry as much as Air Force One does, means it can never do "crazy evasive maneuvers".

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I saw the "old" AF 1 once when Carter came to Spokane to see the Mt. St. Helens damage. As it took off, I caught myself unconsciously placing my hand over my heart. I would love to see the Jumbo Air Force One!

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox

And what should the President ride around in for the next 25 years while the new concept plane is designed, built, tested and certified? The B-2, which is much less complicated than your proposed AF1, took 15 years from initial RFP to first flight, and 23 years to introduction into service.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Is this the one?

I just LOVE this video.

When flying free like this it's like they're alive!

Oh what I wouldn't give to go on a test flight like this!

peace

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Where the hell will they get spare parts from in years to come.

I thought the 747s were being retired.

Will these two be the last of the 747s?

P

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
Where the hell will they get spare parts from in years to come.

I thought the 747s were being retired.

Will these two be the last of the 747s?

P

I heard on the news this week that United Airlines is retiring the last few 747s in its fleet. But some other country has ordered several of them to be built.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

RIP?

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

The 747-8 is still being built, and will continue to be built into the 2020s at this point. They still have orders from UPS, they are looking at new orders from Turkish and Qatar, and have as many as 32 more aircraft that could be ordered, with a backlog of around 20 aircraft.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Thanks for that mate!

Good to see. I know the SS wants only 4 engined aircraft and there are not a lot of those around these days.

It will still be the iconic aircraft of the President.

Cool!

P

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Thanks for confirming. That's too bad. The 747 has been the hallmark of United Airlines commercials for decades.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

There are no domestic 747 operations remaining. Delta already flew their last domestic flight in September, from Los Angeles to Detroit. Their last scheduled 747 service departs Detroit on December 15th, to Seoul, with the return flight from Seoul to Detroit on the 17th.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join