It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i predict nothing will happen in 2012 and it will be normal day or will aliens attack?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   
who here thinks something special will happen at end of Mayian calander in 2012 or is 2013 one of them, some people believe aliens will come back an help us, some believe that world will end, others thinkaliens will attack us? who knows i think it will be same as it has been as it will ever be.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
So... if I read your title statement correctly... You are predicting that at the end of the Mayan calendar, it will either be a normal day, or something will happen... One or the other... I think your prediction is going to come true...
You are an amazing phrophecist! lol!

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
IronDogg, that's the most amazing idea of ever thought. Although tomorrow, I think: something will happen.

Maybe not something big, but something none the less.

Anyone wish to bet against me?

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
ok heres the thing with the myan calendar.

has any one though that they made it so far ahead that they stoped working on it for the time being?

they probally expected to be around a little loneger than they were so they could of added more dates and years later on.

nothing wil happen in 2012, and i will laugh at you!

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan

has any one though that they made it so far ahead that they stoped working on it for the time being?

they probally expected to be around a little loneger than they were so they could of added more dates and years later on.

Why is that the counter I always see from the skeptics on ATS. It's a rather ridiculous counter in my opinion (yeah, even if a super moderator says it).

That's a very linear way of looking at it. Perhaps because of your frame of reference. The way it works in modern day is we have a 2005 calendar, next year we make a 2006, next a 2007. We might even make them in 2 year increments to be extra prepared. The purpose of the these calenadars is to track the course of one year.

Knowing that it would be silly for someone on ATS to start a prediction that the world will end in 2008 because we havn't made a calendar past that time frame. In which case saying..

...would be totally justified. However, that kind of reasoning is not applicable to the Mayans calendar(s). They are not linear; they work in cycles.

they probably expected to be around a little loneger than they were so they could of added more dates and years later on.

First off they have calendars with dates that pre-exist their culture...

Another thing I think you, and people with a similar counter, fail to recognize is that the mayan Long Count (the one that ends in 2012) is not the longest. They have many calenders and some which post-date the Long Count.

1 pictun = 20 baktun = 2,880,000 days = approx. 7885 years
1 calabtun = 20 pictun = 57,600,000 days = approx. 158,000 years
1 kinchiltun = 20 calabtun = 1,152,000,000 days = approx. 3 million years
1 alautun = 20 kinchiltun = 23,040,000,000 days = approx. 63 million years

So ultimately what you're doing is counting to 10 and instead of starting back at 0 (a cycle) you are counting to 11 (linear). Again im sure this is a cultural biasnes but it's not applicable to the mayan calendars.

Since they work in cycles it's silly to say "haha you guys got lazy so you didnt want to make a 2013 calendar".

nothing wil happen in 2012, and i will laugh at you!

What is controversial is the significance the mayans gave to the end/beginning of the long count cycle.

Blobby2, to answer your question

who here thinks something special will happen at end of Mayian calander in 2012

Considering their time in known history their astronomy was highly advanced. To me that gives much credibility to their culture in general. To further that the end of the Great Cycle in 2012 happens to be the precession of the equinoxes. It would appear their long count calendar was based on celestial events. Do I think anything special will happen at the end/beginning of the great cycle? I'm not sure...maybe just the precession of the equinoxes...

However, do to the fact the Mayan Great Cycle is a cycle I think we should consider events that also work in cycles. Which is why some people have theorized earth changes, pole flips, etc. If anything I think it will be an event like that versus the world blowing up or aliens returning (i'm not suggesting natural earth changes are not devastating though).

[edit on 072828p://12u16 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
*Ignore double post*

[edit on 082828p://12u23 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Why was this moved to below top secret versus "there are other threads on this"and then closing it?

top topics

join