It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Beliefs and What They Said

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 02:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Prene

Summaries. Is that girl band rap lingo? I don't think the Sumerian cared much about new age entitlement.

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 02:29 PM
link   
"Try to treat other people as you would like to be treated."

This sounds nice on the surface, but it doesn't really work in practice, if you think about it.

People are different. Everyone would have a different way they would want to be treated.

Let's take a pervert, for example, that wants sex all the time. This pervert would like for people to offer it sex all the time, so is it the right course of action for this pervert to offer everyone sex all the time? No, that would be creepy and disgusting, and even the pervert knows this. No matter how much it would love to have sex with everyone, people wouldn't generally like to have sex with a stranger-pervert just because they offer sex.

We can take a milder example, of course - let's say someone likes cakes, and bakes them and starts offering them to people on the street and everywhere. It would come off as weird, and most people do NOT want to be offered cakes all the time. People want to generally be left alone by strangers, and to be able to just do what they want to do and get on with their lives.

This golden rule, as good as it sounds on the surface, just doesn't work. It has nothing to do with empathy.

I think it'd be better to say something like 'treat everyone you come to contact with respectfully', or 'respect others as you respect yourself' (though many people might not respect themselves, this is still a step up in practicality).

Now to change topic to something someone said here about karma. Karma is not evil at all!

Actually, Karma is a GREAT BLESSING, that lets your soul lighten its heavy burden.

I will explain.

First you do something awful to people, then you grow as a human being and a soul/spirit, and learn to regret what you did. Now, imagine a situation, where you have to CARRY this guilt, shame and regret and your bad deeds on your conscious FOR ALL ETERNITY, without ever getting peace of mind, or rest from it.

To me, this would be the most horrible destiny you can imagine - even the most gruesome physical torture ends at some point, but this torture of the soul, always being corroded by your own bad deeds for all eternity - that would never end!

Karma is a tool and teacher - it's a blessing and relief. It lets us get this burden off of us, as a way for the Universe to teach and forgive us for our deeds. I suffer the same fate I have caused someone else to suffer, and I am FREE of that bad deed, I don't have to carry it in me anymore, justice is done, I have been allowed to make amends, I am free, I am lighter, I don't have to suffer that particular thing again (except if I still have karmic debts).

We cause a debt that we must pay each time we do something evil or bad to someone. Karma lets us PAY that debt, so we don't have to owe the Universe for the rest of eternity.

Evil would be to never let us off the hook! Only an evil entity that wants to be irresponsible of his/her/its own deeds would say karma is evil, for crying out loud!

edit on 29-2-2020 by Shoujikina because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Shoujikina

Now that was well said and beautiful. That ideology could change the world for the better.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join