It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Words Become Violence

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

listen bud just because you got scarred and made a self defense doesn't mean that the whole world shouldn't be open to all that is. it's reality, it's good, it's bad, and a lot if not most actually like to feel it rather than 'block it out' like you learned.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: makalit

On the contrary. There is nothing being blocked out but the superstition that words and adversity can cause harm. You can continue to block out the truth, but doing so is more damaging than accepting it and learning from it.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

I wrote about my views on free speech in the following OPs, but have yet to get around to finish them. To tell you the truth, I think it’s a losing battle.

Free speech? Absolutely.
In Defence of Hate Speech

I hope you continue. This subject is almost at the core of the main divide among the populace. I like to think it is about freedom and free will.

There are those who wish to impose their will on others. They are trying to create their mental image of this reality as something that would be better if everything was benevolent. They appear unable to even entertain the notion that this reality is composed of good and bad. Maybe it was even developed that way on purpose. To help us grow and mature.

I wonder, does rejecting the bad, the painful and unpleasant experiences lead to this corruption of thought? Is the simple act of learning that terrible and difficult? When people choose rejection, the only answer left is to control other people and make everyone conform.

I don't see how this utopia would lead to happiness and contentment.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Even though there is zero evidence that a word can have any effect beyond the effect of its medium—the effects of the breath on the surroundings or the effects of ink on paper for example—humans must be brainwashed to believe the opposite.

Orlly? Then tell me- it shouldn't be too hard- why did you bother writing this at all?

This true, a word can only affect its medium- but more than breath, more than paper, the medium of the word is the mind.

My words come from my mind and I put them together so that I may know my thoughts and that I may test them for validity. I speak them so I may show you, and impart my thoughts to you, that you may glean from them, and that I in turn may glean from your reaction.
edit on 10-11-2017 by LucidWarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: Deaf Alien

So these were not your word's? Choice?

it's the kid's choice to be bullied and being hurt by it.

Sorry. It was a sarcasm. A joke on the OP.
Of course children has no choice.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   
words can only effect the weaker less advantaged. the person with more power has advantage.
so maybe you've just been so privaledged that you've never been in a tricky situation.
jews in a jew movie theatre. it comes on the screen "you are all gonna die soon, jews"
even if it was just a joke from the culprit (it was) they all panicked perhaps. thought they were gonna die, they let go of hopes of a better life and their mind went to the gutter of "i want to make out with my aunt" and then they do. they then feel shame for the rest of their life after it was a just a joke on the screen a bad one by anti-jews

another situation is a boy walking, doesn't know how life is yet, someone across the street calls him a name, he isn't familiar with the area and runs home. those words have shaped him to be lifeless and cautious. physical damage comes into the body as the mind stops growing with optimism and cells start shrinking and dying out of discouragement.

if you want to stick to what you really are on about, statues, you should, cause it's a bit too obvious everything does effect everything else. whether you personally are able to build up a defense to such words, is a different matter, as a lot if not most are not so privaledged and lucky to be able to do. most are thrown into a world that they have no idea what comes next, and less than that a burrow of teasers in their already sh*tty world that they didn't enjoy in the first place in their home with their single parent and no siblings or friends when they wanted friends

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: LucidWarrior

Words become violence, inasmuch as anything else does: by the way they are turned against someone. A weapon is turned against someone, and their body gets hurt. Yippee Kai Yay. Words are turned against someone, and we see nations go to war, we see genocides, and religious wars, we see propaganda. We see kids commiting suicide from verbal abuse.

To ignore the mind in this sense as a valid existence which can be disrupted, is to defile ones very existence as a anything motchre than a stupid ape. A violent act would be any act that is designed to harm another, or to illicit or coerce the other, or to take something the other wouldn't give by means of force or deceit.

If words are not violence, then why don't you yell fire in a movie theater, or bomb in an airport? Let me describe be in explicit detail l how I'm going to murder your family while you watch, then tell me that is not a harmful act. Even if the words themselves do not bother you, the fact is they do carry the explicit intent of harm, in fact is used as a vehicle to convey that harm ahead of time...

If words are not violence, then tell me what was MK Ultra? (When they subjected people to torture in order to weaken their psyche and then use words to brainwash them...

And lastly, if words are not violence, then surely I can tell everyone a cheap way to make a nuclear bomb with resources from home depot? Were it not for words, then no terrorist group could operate effectively, and nuclear weapons would not exist...

Apologies for speaking in rhetoric.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Orlly? Then tell me- it shouldn't be too hard- why did you bother writing this at all?

So that I may write it and you could read it. Not hard at all.

My words come from my mind and I put them together so that I may know my thoughts and that I may test them for validity. I speak them so I may show you, and impart my thoughts to you, that you may glean from them, and that I in turn may glean from your reaction.

You impart nothing of the sort. You've arranged your thoughts into a coherent combination in the hopes that I would read them, yes, but it is up to me to read them, understand them, determine their significance, compare them to my own standards of reason, logic, and agree with them or not. Once read, your words are in my domain and under my control. I might have ignored it all.
edit on 10-11-2017 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: LucidWarrior

Words become violence, inasmuch as anything else does: by the way they are turned against someone. A weapon is turned against someone, and their body gets hurt. Yippee Kai Yay. Words are turned against someone, and we see nations go to war, we see genocides, and religious wars, we see propaganda. We see kids commiting suicide from verbal abuse.

To ignore the mind in this sense as a valid existence which can be disrupted, is to defile ones very existence as a anything motchre than a stupid ape. A violent act would be any act that is designed to harm another, or to illicit or coerce the other, or to take something the other wouldn't give by means of force or deceit.

If words are not violence, then why don't you yell fire in a movie theater, or bomb in an airport? Let me describe be in explicit detail l how I'm going to murder your family while you watch, then tell me that is not a harmful act. Even if the words themselves do not bother you, the fact is they do carry the explicit intent of harm, in fact is used as a vehicle to convey that harm ahead of time...

If words are not violence, then tell me what was MK Ultra? (When they subjected people to torture in order to weaken their psyche and then use words to brainwash them...

And lastly, if words are not violence, then surely I can tell everyone a cheap way to make a nuclear bomb with resources from home depot? Were it not for words, then no terrorist group could operate effectively, and nuclear weapons would not exist...

Apologies for speaking in rhetoric.

All of these are contingent on the assumption that words can have an affect beyond their medium. But it's a questionable cause, Post hoc ergo propter hoc. Of course, in each of your examples, the violence is always in the reaction, not in the words or those who speak them.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   
When words get rehashed to make a thread about the same worn out LesMis topic.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

Free will is important, in my opinion. The very belief in is has been shown to be better for the individual, but not only that, I think it is true.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

When words get rehashed to make a thread about the same worn out LesMis topic.

A topic that a worn out daskakik can never overcome.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   
if words are not harmful, then why is there rules on a message board? why can't everyone just insult if no harm done?
merely because it curves from productive debate? Then why can't i just type my message, and throw in a little "F***ing A*s*ole" in at the end of every message? it's not curving the debate. wait, someone would likely get offended?

ok i know where you are going with this. if we had 1000 clones of you, on a message board, then you're right. insults are allowed.

you tell lucid guy that you could ignore his message. that's not what life is. life is you are forced into life and situations beyond your own control.
because there's 4 basic needs, that without a person will die, and upon achieving those alone one must do things beyond their control. you got to go to the store. ok so you are subjected to strangers. you have to listen to what they say for the most part, ok i know you personally have logically ordered out how to get around without listening you just hand the money and leave. but the next person over tries to please people and get good reactions so he listens in able to learn if he's doing his mission correct. and when he doesn't get appraise which only he personally wants (aka not you i'm guessing) then yeah he could get hurt.

Like I said life isn't about you controlling it all. It's all things being sprung onto you and you having to deal with
You can't ignore if someone breaks into your house. You can but survival of the fittest means that you'd actually have to react in order to raise your chance of survival or they could kill you and that proves that your argument is flawed from the bare roots cause emotional reactions to words are the key to survival and to gaining survivability

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

So that I may write it and you could read it. Not hard at all.

Well, yes, BUT if words can have no effect except on air by breath and on paper by ink, and not at all in my mind, then why speak your thoughts for me to see, if they will do nothing, if they are meaningless.

You impart nothing of the sort. You've arranged your thoughts into a coherent combination in the hopes that I would read them, yes, but it is up to me to read them, understand them, determine their significance, compare them to my own standards of reason, logic, and agree with them or not. Once read, your words are in my domain and under my control. I might have ignored it all.

I did say may.

Of course, in each of your examples, the violence is always in the reaction, not in the words or those who speak them.

The words are specifically designed to achieve those results. Just as my motion to swing a baseball bay is designed to bash in your head.

edit on 10-11-2017 by LucidWarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   

A topic that a worn out daskakik can never overcome.

I've resisted commenting on a few of you "word" threads and posts in other threads but I'm extra bored today.

Still doesn't give life to you dead horse topic.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Well, yes, BUT if words can have no effect except on air by breath and on paper by ink, and not at all in my mind, then why speak your thoughts for me to see, if they will do nothing, if they are meaningless.

So that you could read them. You reading and understanding my words are the effect of you, not me.

The words are specifically designed to achieve those results. Just as my motion to swing a baseball bay is designed to bash in your head.

Unless you cannot read or understand the language. Again, it's all your effects.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I've resisted commenting on a few of you "word" threads and posts in other threads but I'm extra bored today.

Still doesn't give life to you dead horse topic.

That's your doing, not mine. It's because you have no life to give it.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   

That's your doing, not mine.

Never said it wasn't.

It's because you have no life to give it.

Correct, all I can do is point out that you have made numerous threads based on the same topic. There is nothing new to say that I have not said in any of those other threads. It would just be playing along in the beating of the poor dead horse.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Correct, all I can do is point out that you have made numerous threads based on the same topic. There is nothing new to say that I have not said in any of those other threads. It would just be playing along in the beating of the poor dead horse.

Given that you support the orthodox view, and badly so in my opinion, shows that the dead horse is a product of your own beating.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   
like lucid said, and it goes to a play, you go to watch it and experience. just like your interaction with theoretical girlfriend, you listen to what she has to say about you. she says youre a creep. but sometimes she says youre amazing.
your mind is the canvas for your own personal inner play
you don't go to a play to block it out. you go to experience what it is.
same with having to listen to your theoretical girlfriend's good and bad.
you still prefer to listen than not. you want to experience life so you take in it all everything because in your art on canvas creating mind, you say that the bad paint the steps to resolutions. the bad situation
it's not about blocking out because you want to experience everything there is to experience with the theoretical GF

just like statues are a part of the play that certain crowd members consider bad emotions to paint a step to the solution of meaningful beaurocracy

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join