It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Words Become Violence

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: makalit

per your friend it was knowing that someone disapproved of his actions. people can get so destructive that upon finding something like that out, they could smash something.

This is where the problem is. People don't know how to control their own emotions any longer and they're all suffering from low self esteem, that I'm sure they believe is everyone else's fault. We need to teach our children how to develop healthy emotional systems.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Deetermined

Each person is going through a hand in hand battle with reality. The world's never been how it is now. Mostly farmers now tech reduced us to lazers or 'be'ers. People who don't know much about the influx of strange things will think everything should go on as it should but the complexity of human nature is that we're getting somewhere completely new.

1/4 canadians apparently had mental problems in 2012. Growing up it was about 2/100 so i don't know what happened.
Nah I know what happened everything changed

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: makalit

Nothing has changed.

We are the same species we were 10,000 ago.

Our tools are better, our speech more elaborate, but we haven't changed.

We still kill.
We still have wars.
We steal.
We lie.
We cheat.

We are not "enlightened" at all.

We have fooled ourselves into thinking that along with sticks and stones, words will hurt us.

We've devolved.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: makalit

1/4 canadians apparently had mental problems in 2012. Growing up it was about 2/100 so i don't know what happened.

I read somewhere that 1 in 5 people will suffer from some form of mental disorder over the next year.

The question is why? What's changed?

I have no doubt that people are struggling to keep their heads above water and life has always been hard, so what's the difference? Is it the way we're teaching our kids to handle life and stress in general or the lack thereof?

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Each word you receive, is a gift that allows you to adapt.
No one is hurt by words. But people decide how they respond to those words.
Each person is alive, and so upon hearing things, they love to feel a certain response.
So I don't think words hurt. I can't speak for anyone else because I've never been hurt, I've just been in situations where I had to respond

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Deetermined

It's called adaptation. I'm gonna have to hit you hard with this- stuff like being outdoors, activity, interaction with new people, was all common in the past as we had to actually go from our village, build our house, say hi to the community.
I tell you that it's either this grave change, or an energy change, that has completely changed the mental state of humans. Whether you believe it or not, technology has massively replaced jobs so much so that 1 farm can feed 10 000 people. We have more youth not working than ever. We don't go out, we use the web that is more commonplace, we don't meet new people, we don't get excercise. But somehow we keep doing it. That's cause it's the direction of our arrow is to start THINKING and stop DOING

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   

a reply to: LesMisanthrope

maybe you just don't feel anything to understand that words do have effect. take our word

I do feel, but it’s me doing the feeling, not the person speaking to me.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   
@ClovenSky
i'm just wondering about what examples exactly the OP is referring to.
he mentioned something about statues inflicting pain. but it makes sense nowadays because those statues were solid slave owners, so if you are related to one of those slaves and you see it being in the spotlight, it's not right

it's just 20 years ago we didn't really know he was a slave owner not publically, not many people knew,

i don't know what other examples there are, i mean there is people being offended by trumps women remarks like grab em by the 'you know what'. it's a solid reaction to get offended because he actually instilled, with those words, and tone of voice which actually is said to be much more important than the words themselves, an image that they didn't want to imagine. on public TV. so they revolted.

Like I said I don't know what examples the OP is referencing exactly. Maybe my astrology post. But there is always a good reason to react however people react. Cause they aren't robots but people with relevent understanding

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanteGaland
Words can start wars...

War = violence.

Therefore, WORDS can cause violence.

Words can be USED as weapons. Blackmail. Sanctions. Ect.

Words cause nothing. People act according to their own choices.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

maybe you just don't feel anything to understand that words do have effect. take our word

yes i clearly can not know how you feel. i just meant that there seems to be more logical minded guys who information to them is all just a mathematical formula. A guy can say "I hate you" to another online, and the logical minded will just say "Aha! People aruging about trivial petty!" and move on like nothing. Maybe you are that type. I'm saying if you are, well take the word not everyone is

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

@ClovenSky
i'm just wondering about what examples exactly the OP is referring to.
he mentioned something about statues inflicting pain. but it makes sense nowadays because those statues were solid slave owners, so if you are related to one of those slaves and you see it being in the spotlight, it's not right

it's just 20 years ago we didn't really know he was a slave owner not publically, not many people knew,

i don't know what other examples there are, i mean there is people being offended by trumps women remarks like grab em by the 'you know what'. it's a solid reaction to get offended because he actually instilled, with those words, and tone of voice which actually is said to be much more important than the words themselves, an image that they didn't want to imagine. on public TV. so they revolted.

Like I said I don't know what examples the OP is referencing exactly. Maybe my astrology post. But there is always a good reason to react however people react. Cause they aren't robots but people with relevent understanding

I’m speaking in particular about those who say because a statue or symbol represents something, the statue and symbol must be destroyed. Clearly it’s the representation of the symbol, the thoughts and understanding of it, and not the symbol itself, that moves the people to act in this way. Before destroying the statue, they might just as easily alter what they think about it, without having to rob posterity and the human race of one of its creations.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Words can start wars...

War = violence.

That's not accurate. A bug coming into your vision causes you to notice it. Someone smiling towards you likely causes you to feel it. Everything causes everything else.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   

yes i clearly can not know how you feel. i just meant that there seems to be more logical minded guys who information to them is all just a mathematical formula. A guy can say "I hate you" to another online, and the logical minded will just say "Aha! People aruging about trivial petty!" and move on like nothing. Maybe you are that type. I'm saying if you are, well take the word not everyone is

I might view language different than most—I’m not aware of anyone but Frank Zappa who espoused the same notion—but it’s because the fine line between words and deed is sacred to me. It’s at the core of everything in my opinion. It’s our key out of this mess.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Words can start wars...

War = violence.

That's not accurate. A bug coming into your vision causes you to notice it. Someone smiling towards you likely causes you to feel it. Everything causes everything else.

You describe an accurate piece of language, but the description of reality is inaccurate. We notice. Therefore we cause ourselves to notice, or not in other cases.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Words can start wars...

War = violence.

You describe an accurate piece of language, but the description of reality is inaccurate. We notice. Therefore we cause ourselves to notice, or not in other cases.

You mean that we can choose to either 1) focus on the bug or 2)start ignoring it

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   

One thing's for sure... words in the form of sound has zero effect on deaf people.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

One thing's for sure... words in the form of sound has zero effect on deaf people.

Nor do statues on blind people...
But explain to one of those blind people that there's a statue up of someone who was about slavery
and BAM watch him enrage

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   

People only hurt you with words because you let them.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

People only hurt you with words because you let them.

Pretty much his point except it isn't 100% factually true.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Words can start wars...

War = violence.

You mean that we can choose to either 1) focus on the bug or 2)start ignoring it

Meaning that we can miss it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join