It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman says Roy Moore initiated sexual encounter when she was 14

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

Our fundamental rights shouldn't be regulated.

The Constitution agrees with you. Up to the point where your rights conflict with those of someone else. Then regulation is required.

Do you think a man has a right to sex with a woman who is below the age of consent even if she is willing?

edit on 11/12/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Do you think a man has a right to sex with a woman who is below the age of consent even if she is willing?

I agree with age of consent laws.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Well that's reassuring.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Not sure your logic circuit is functioning properly.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Not sure your cognitive algorithms are up to the task.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   

OK, I read it.

In other, more topical news, the price of Garbanzo beans in China is up 1.2% for the year....

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

So, do you think the decision was wrong. Or did that fallible Court get it right?

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

They are prone to error's from time to time, but they are often self correcting.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Either one. No one should have superior rights.

Is having the same rights as others considered "superior rights?"

That is completely out of character for Moore.

You know him well? Because...he said it.

Rights are not granted by a government; they are granted by God the Creator.

Like, equal rights? Then who is someone like Moore to say transgender (or Muslims) shouldn't have the same rights, as given by god and recognized by the government?

Got a link?

Yep. And a quotation.

"The transgenders don't have rights," Moore said Wednesday [. . . ] "They've never been denominated as having rights by the U.S. Supreme Court. (Democrat Doug Jones) believes in transgender bathrooms and transgenders in the military. I disagree with him 100 percent," Moore said.
Link

That's him saying they don't have rights by virtue that the government hasn't granted them.
edit on 12-11-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite

They are prone to error's from time to time, but they are often self correcting.

Not often overturned. But unless they are, things are what they say they are.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   

I see no problem with the decision.

Do you feel Garbanzo beans are overpriced in China?

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   

I see no problem with the decision.

Ok.

It says that marriage is a right, you know. It's in the part I quoted. But it really doesn't have much to do with the topic.
I wonder what Roy thought about it.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Is having the same rights as others considered "superior rights?"

superior

adjective
    1. higher in station, rank, degree, importance, etc.:
    a superior officer.
    2. above the average in excellence, merit, intelligence, etc.:
    superior math students.
    3. of higher grade or quality:
    superior merchandise.
    4. greater in quantity or amount:
    superior numbers.
    5. showing a consciousness or feeling of being better than or above others:
    superior airs.
    6. not yielding or susceptible (usually followed by to):
    to be superior to temptation.
    7. higher in place or position:
    We moved our camp to superior ground.

noun
    11. one superior to another.
    12. Also called superscript. Printing. a superior letter, number, or symbol.
    Compare inferior (def 11).
    13. Ecclesiastical. the head of a monastery, convent, or the like.

Like, equal rights? Then who is someone like Moore to say transgender (or Muslims) shouldn't have the same rights, as given by god and recognized by the government?

I'm not sure he did.

That's him saying they don't have rights by virtue that the government hasn't granted them

No, that's him saying they don't have additional rights, due to their transgender status, by virtue that the government hasn't granted them.

In other words, they have equal, not superior rights (see definition above).

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   

It says that marriage is a right, you know.

Your link

While the state court is no doubt correct in asserting that marriage is a social relation subject to the State's police power, Maynard v. Hill, 125 U.S. 190 (1888)...

Bolding mine.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   

superior

I know what it means, thanks. Perhaps you confuse superior rights with equal rights, based on the status of the group in question?

I'm not sure he did.

I quoted his words.

that's him saying they don't have additional rights, due to their transgender status, by virtue that the government hasn't granted them.

That's him saying they don't have equal rights, because of their "transgender status" which has not been officially recognized by the SCOTUS. Couched discrimination.

In other words, they have equal, not superior rights

If they don't enjoy the same freedoms and rights they don't have equal rights.

Just sayin'

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite

That would violate privacy laws and with the inaccuracy of such tests it would unduly deny people their civil rights. But since there's no inaccuracy in determining whether a man and man or woman and woman can create a child, it's common sense to exclude them from marriage as it is in no way fundamental to our survival.

However, I would also accept that the government get out of the marriage business. Our fundamental rights shouldn't be regulated.

Since adoption strongly prefers giving children to married couples, are you then saying that only couples who can conceive should be allowed to adopt?

Are you saying that without the ability to have a child, couples shouldn't have the legal and tax benefits marriage offers?

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

I know what it means, thanks.

It didn't appear so.

I quoted his words.

Without context.

That's him saying they don't have equal rights, because of their "transgender status" which has not been officially recognized by the SCOTUS. Couched discrimination.

There is no right to serve in the military, and there is no right to use a restroom designated for someone of the opposite gender.

Moore was being asked about endowing transgenders with these superior rights to others, and he refused.

All citizens have the same rights. That's in the Constitution. No one should have any additional rights by virtue of their skin color, gender, sexual preference, or sexual identity. Period. Unfortunately, political correctness has given us situations where groups are sometimes afforded superior rights (definition: rights as mentioned above only applicable due to skin color, gender, etc.) by our government. Moore correctly stated this has not happened for transgenders serving in the military.

If you can't understand this, I can post the definition of 'equal' for you...

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival.
No bolding necessary.

Here's more of that paragraph you cite. Apparently bolding is necessary.

While the state court is no doubt correct in asserting that marriage is a social relation subject to the State's police power, Maynard v. Hill, 125 U.S. 190 (1888), the State does not contend in its argument before this Court that its powers to regulate marriage are unlimited notwithstanding the commands of the Fourteenth Amendment. Nor could it do so in light of Meyer v. Nebraska, 262 U.S. 390 (1923), and Skinner v. Oklahoma, 316 U.S. 535 (1942).

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   

There is no right to serve in the military

For anyone, or just transgender?

and there is no right to use a restroom designated for someone of the opposite gender.

Hence, they don't have the equal right, based solely on how they identify.

Moore was being asked about endowing transgenders with these superior rights to others, and he refused.

He refused to say they had equal rights under law.

All citizens have the same rights. That's in the Constitution.

True.

No one should have any additional rights by virtue of their skin color, gender, sexual preference, or sexual identity. Period.

But they should enjoy the same equal rights, sans discrimination, by virtue of the Constitution. Period.

If you can't understand this, I can post the definition of 'equal' for you...

Perhaps post it for yourself?
edit on 12-11-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Correct. If things weren't the same, they'd be different.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join