It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if Atlantis is underground

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
'Atlantis' is scattered across the mediteranian in bits the size of my little finger aftr the volcano on Thera blew the Theran civilisation into the stratosphere.

The reason that plato writes of vast cities and continents is because, as with all things that are handed down from person to person the story changes, is more exxagerated.

Dont believe me? Play chinese whispers with a few dozen people, see how the story changes by the end.

A relatively powerful civilisation was wiped out by a volcano. Not underground, not transcended into space.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   
First, I have read the Santorini/Thera - Atlantis theory before, and it is accepted by many as the explanation. The problem I have with that is it calls Plato a liar. Sure the oral 'pass it on' method of communication clearly does muddle, change, exaggerate, etc. any message very quickly. But, as far as I knew, the teachers like Socrates, Plato, Jesus, Buddha, etc. had their parables, stories, and lessons written down by students virtually at the time. If so, the whisper theory is dead. Also, if Thera is Atlantis, then lots of completely new information was added along the way. It seems hard to imagine 'the pillars of Hercules' being inserted by someone if it wasn't said, since it was a rather unique and well-known placename. And changing 900 years to 9000 years is another big difference between the two. I actually believe Plato, and many other ancient writers whose words are so often dismissed if they do not fit our modern picture of history.
There are too many examples of this to list, even to the point of still resisting believing their words after the physical archeological evidence is discovered, ie. the city of Troy.
I trust ancient historical figures almost any time their words contradict what some modern theorist 2000 years later has come up with. It just seems sensible that the person 2000 years closer to the event is going to get a more accurate story.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I think it's under my house.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Reading my way down here I forgot my thought. Sorry,,

Dallas
(hey..I pulled an all-nighter).

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Has anyone ever seriously considered that Atlantis, if it existed at all, was in north america?
It seesm to me that N America fits with the direction Plato stated it was in though not the distance.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Tolerance of immoralty is no virtue and intolerance of immoraltiy is no evil.
Americans are Gods chosen people
Freedom of speech means people have the right to be offensive
Islam is the tool of the devil, and muhhamed is a false prophet
If any of the above statements offend you, feel free to go screw yourself

Originally posted by mwm1331
Has anyone ever seriously considered that Atlantis, if it existed at all, was in north america?
It seesm to me that N America fits with the direction Plato stated it was in though not the distance.

Good question.........hmmmmm, nobody ever did, you're the first, and well, you are probably right. How about that, boy I bet those people who searched and studied all their lives will come and thank you for you keen observational skills.
Oh ya, in response to your signature, very nice, feel the love people.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Remeber these people are said to be great miners by Plato. Who's to say they didn't build elaborate and decorative chambers under the earth from their mine shafts. If the capital of Atlantis did sink, then the subterranean vaults below the city would have been destroyed in the destructive seismic events. The outer regions which did not suffer the cave-in would still have remains of the underground tunnels they were famous for. Here is one possible case for the Atlantis connection to Mexico and the subterranean chambers: The Huautla Cave System in Oxaca Mexico. The Mazatec Indians consider these caves sacred. The lowest point ever explored within the cave network was at 4,839ft below sea level. The caves look naturally made but what's impressive is the giant vaults between the connecting shafts. Anthodite Hall is large enough to encompass nine football fields. There is a great photo of this Hall in the September issue of the 1995 National Geographic Magazine. What if they had cave network systems all around the region that connected together right under the Atlantean capital. That would provide great escape routes in times of battle. Imagine the main Island is rumbling and the mountains are erupting. The people of the city begin to flee by way of the subterranean escape routes. Many perish when the island sinks because the tunnels are flooded with water or cave in. Those that were far enough out were able to survive as they emerged from the cave network. The ancient Mesoamerican legends speak of the emergence of the first human beings of the current world age coming from the Seven Caves of the Mexica- The Chicomoztoc.
I would also consider that 'vertically challenged people' were employed in the construction of the underground chambers and tunnels. Hopefully not as slave labor. The ancient city of Uxmal, Mexico has a legend that the temple called the 'Pyramid of the Magician' was built by a dwarf in one night.

Atla-
"In the arched vault of a subterranean chamber, beneath the temple of Kohl (a step pyramid at the heart of Atlantis) hung the Quenchless Lamp...In the dome of the vault was a complicated instrument, or parapem, that marked the artificial time, and also recorded changes in the heavenly bodies, the ebb and flow of the tides, and the variation of air currents. In the side walls of the vault were numerous small apertures, round which were graven hieratic words and symbols."

"When night fell Thalok himself drove his fleet horses, Wind and Wave, to this gloomy forest, and after securing them within its precincts, entered the hollow trunk of a tree, which rested its huge bulk against the mountain. He made a signal, the door unclosed, and a dwarf with a lamp in his hand appeared, and conducted him through labyrinthian passages, till they emerged in a subterranean palace, or temple, hewn from the solid bed of the mountain, which burst upon the vision like a dream of enchantment."

I still believe that Atlantis sank somewhere in the Caribbean.

[edit on 16-3-2005 by lostinspace]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackGuardXIII
Tolerance of immoralty is no virtue and intolerance of immoraltiy is no evil.
Americans are Gods chosen people
Freedom of speech means people have the right to be offensive
Islam is the tool of the devil, and muhhamed is a false prophet
If any of the above statements offend you, feel free to go screw yourself

Originally posted by mwm1331

Good question.........hmmmmm, nobody ever did, you're the first, and well, you are probably right. How about that, boy I bet those people who searched and studied all their lives will come and thank you for you keen observational skills.
Oh ya, in response to your signature, very nice, feel the love people.

Blackguard I dont see what my signature has to do with this discussion.
I was asking whether or not any tlants researchers had ever looked into the idea of atlants having been in N America, I have read theores placing it n bolivia, the azores, and crete, bt I am naware as to whter or not anyone had ever consdered and or researched the idea that it might have been n N America.
As for your opinion of my sig, well the last line says it best.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I thank you for that, but wish you had read the title of my post, cuz that very line was my focus. I am so glad you noticed my humour though.

[edit on 3/16/2005 by BlackGuardXIII]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Let's watch the tone folks.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Anthodite Hall of the Huautla Cave System in Oxaca Mexico.

It's about 4,000ft below the surface.

www.beyondthedeep.com...

Big isn't it?

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Some volcanoes can be especially destructive. Is it possible that the volcano completely blew up atlantis? Or maybe the volcano was a giant weapon, but Plato couldn't understand what it was and called it a volcano?

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 11:34 PM
link   
here is a website that says atlantis is in the east indies it even has a checklist for it. atlantis

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Personally I do lean toward the antartica theory. It makes sense in so many ways.. I hear the skeptics and their sarcasm well in here.. but all I can say to them is.. If you don't look for the answers you will never gain any knowledge.
Research is one of the most vital things that we do as a human race.. it helps us understand our past and in turn helps us learn from it.. and sometimes can shape our future.
Why scoff at those who dare to hope for new discoveries? Life is too short to waste time judging other peoples interests. Just dealing with your own should keep you busy enough.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
A volcano probably blew it up, well thats what everyone says, but you know me(well maybe you don't) always the skeptic.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
i could have sworn i posted here but i cant find my post now...

anyways, my thought was that a large population cannot be sustained underground simply because of two factors, the lack of sunlight needed for "normal" plant growth, and the lack of organic matter down there. Even if you could somehow grow mushrooms or something similar down there, they'd either grow very slowly, or just eventually stop growing and die because they ran out of nutrients in the environment.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
maybe it wasn't an island at all. maybe it was like...idk on land with some other land connected to it. anyway...maybe a volcano errupted and it was just burried under the ashes. so it's not in the ocean, not under antarctica, wasnt underground when people lived there (wouldn't it be kinda hard to breath?) just burried underground! so somewhere on this earth there are many many people that were burried alive! just a thought...

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Uncle Joe
'Atlantis' is scattered across the mediteranian in bits the size of my little finger aftr the volcano on Thera blew the Theran civilisation into the stratosphere.

spoilsport

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
If so, then Plato is basically either a liar, or else he has an extremely poor grasp of numbers. I doubt that either one is the case. So, if he was relaying accurate information, the Thera eruption happened about 8 millenia too late, and was nowhere near the size of the place Plato recounts. It is easy to say he was just wrong, and of course he cannot defend himself. I tend to side with Plato, as I have seen time and time again that these ancient writers who were not believed by modern scholars, were later proven to be telling the truth. Herodotus is another one who is often dissed, and later proven to be right. These guys were not idiots, they were some of the leading minds of their day, and are still held in high regard because of their honest, intelligent writing.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I lean toward Atlantis being in the Caribbean waters, near Cuba.

I heard a lecture by David Wilcock who said that the military has known of underground pyramids there since the 70's and they've had ample time to loot the advanced technology.

Here is a press release from 2001 about Cuba and Atlantis (of course, we haven't heard much about it since):

Explorers View 'Lost City' Ruins Under Caribbean
December 6, 2001 - Reuters

Explorers using a miniature submarine to probe the sea floor off the coast of Cuba said on Thursday they had confirmed the discovery of stone structures deep below the ocean surface that may have been built by an unknown human civilization thousands of years ago.

Researchers with a Canadian exploration company said they filmed over the summer ruins of a possible submerged ``lost city'' off the Guanahacabibes Peninsula on the Caribbean island's western tip. The researchers cautioned that they did not fully understand the nature of their find and planned to return in January for further analysis, the expedition leader said on Thursday.

The explorers said they believed the mysterious structures, discovered at the astounding depth of around 2,100 feet and laid out like an urban area, could have been built at least 6,000 years ago. That would be about 1,500 years earlier than the great Giza pyramids of Egypt.

``It's a really wonderful structure which looks like it could have been a large urban center,'' said Soviet-born Canadian ocean engineer Paulina Zelitsky, from British Columbia-based Advanced Digital Communications (ADC).

Zelitsky said the structures may have been built by unknown people when the current sea-floor actually was above the surface. She said volcanic activity may explain how the site ended up at great depths below the Caribbean Sea.

In July 2000, ADC researchers using sophisticated side-scan sonar equipment identified a large underwater plateau with clear images of symmetrically organized stone structures that looked like an urban development partly covered by sand. From above, the shapes resembled pyramids, roads and buildings, they said.

This past July, ADC researchers, along with the firm's Cuban partner and experts from the Cuban Academy of Sciences, returned to the site in their ship ``Ulises.'' They said they sent a miniature, unmanned submarine called a Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) down to film parts of the 7.7-square-mile area.

Those images confirmed the presence of huge, smooth, cut granite-like blocks in perpendicular and circular formations, some in pyramid shapes, the researchers said. Most of the blocks, measuring between about 6.5 and 16 feet in length, were exposed, some stacked one on another, the researchers said.

Others were covered in sediment and the fine, white sand that characterizes the area, the researchers said.

The intriguing discovery provided evidence that Cuba at one time was joined to mainland Latin America via a strip of land from the Yucatan Peninsula, the researchers said.

``There are many new hypotheses about land movement and colonialization, and what we are seeing here should provide very interesting new information,'' Zelitsky said.

ADC's deep-water equipment includes a satellite-integrated ocean bottom positioning system, high-precision side-scan double-frequency sonar, and the ROV. The company currently is commissioning what it calls the world's first custom-designed ocean excavator for marine archeology to begin work both at the Guanahacabibes site and at ship wrecks.

ADC is the deepest operator among four foreign firms working in joint venture with President Fidel Castro (news - web sites)'s government to explore Cuban waters containing hundreds of treasure-laden ships from the colonial era.

The Canadian company already has discovered several historic sunken Spanish ships.

In an earlier high-profile find, ADC was testing equipment in late 2000 off Havana Bay when it spotted the century-old wreck of the American battleship USS Maine. The ship had not been located since it blew up mysteriously in 1898, killing 260 American sailors and igniting the Spanish-American War.

The rush of interest in Cuba's seas in recent years is due in part to the Castro government's recognition that it does not have the money or technology to carry out systematic exploration by itself, although it does have excellent divers.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join