It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Driverless bus crashes on its first day

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   
So Las Vegas wanted to be ahead of the game.

They decided to go with a "pilot" program that has a driverless bus going around.

After a big ceremony, it launched.

2 hours later the damn thing gets into an accident !!!!

Driverless bus crashes on its first day

A driverless shuttle bus has crashed less than two hours after it was launched in Las Vegas.

Police say no injuries were reported in the Wednesday crash between the self-operating vehicle and a semi-truck. It’s not yet clear what caused the wreck.

Officials had hosted an unveiling ceremony to promote what they described as the nation’s first self-driving shuttle pilot project geared toward the public.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Crash was caused by human error. The human was even given a ticket for illegally backing up.

source

Chalk up one for the machines. The driverless electric shuttle bus that made its debut downtown Wednesday was involved in a minor accident in its first few hours of service, but the human driver of the other vehicle was at fault, police said. The Metropolitan Police Department said officers responded at 12:07 p.m. to an accident involving the shuttle and a delivery truck on the 100 block of South Sixth Street, near Fremont Street. Damage was minor, and no one was hurt, police said. Police briefly closed a southbound lane of South Sixth Street from Fremont Street to Carson Avenue as they investigated. Police determined that the shuttle came to a stop when it sensed the truck was trying to back up. However, the truck continued to back up until its tires touched the front of the shuttle. The truck’s driver was cited for illegal backing.

edit on 9-11-2017 by turbo8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   
But it wasn't my fault!!!! Typical

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Hmmm, in Germany it allegedly works without problems.
Hamburg will have 100 of these busses in near future:

100 fahrerlose Busse rollen bald durch Hamburg

But we will see how many "not-accidents" we will have if they have to work properly in the daily street traffic.

link   
a reply to: turbo8

Here is picture of the 'damages' :

The human driver of the other vehicle is at fault.

link   
Delivery trucks are the worst, wherever they are.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: turbo8

So the robot forgot to consider Human error.

BwaaaaHaHaHa

Arrogance is bliss.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   
What can I say but YESSSSSS!!!
We humans are not replaceable just yet.

Eta: should have read (Paul Harvey voice here) The Rest of the Story.

edit on 9-11-2017 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   

I agree, I was just stating the facts.

I live in Vegas and will be sure to keep away from these, or maybe let one crash into me? $$$

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Can we just get the government to pay the companies making these systems some money NOT to do it. Thanks.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Come on, clearly a buss driver lodge conspire to crash the thing in order to not be replaced, this is the only logical conclusion we need to get in here, we are after all, a conspiracy place.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen On the norm I really dislike your threads but this time I agree. Being a person that lives there it is kinda funny. This whole thing happened way to soon. Humans are not ready for automated drivers.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   

When ALL vehicles are self-driving, we won't have the problem of stupid human drivers.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   
It being the other drivers fault isn't an excuse. The system still failed to react to a variable and because of that failed.

I could get a legal degree from a cracker jack box and give most of these companies better legal advice. I don't know how any self driving/automated vehicle ever got pass the corporate legal team.

This is just a "minor" accident. In time, there will be bigger ones, deaths and of course the lawsuits.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   
These driverless vehicles would be a real benefit for ISIS. They don't even have to rent a truck, all they have to do is remotely access the computer on these vehicles and run them into people. There would not even be much of a way to trace who did it. People who say it would not be possible because of safety measures on the vehicles do not understand that someone can bypass these by putting it into a certain mode that is used by a specialized mechanic to test things. Tie that to someone who can do the hacking and there you have it. Anything can be hacked nowadays.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
These driverless vehicles would be a real benefit for ISIS. They don't even have to rent a truck, all they have to do is remotely access the computer on these vehicles and run them into people. There would not even be much of a way to trace who did it. People who say it would not be possible because of safety measures on the vehicles do not understand that someone can bypass these by putting it into a certain mode that is used by a specialized mechanic to test things. Tie that to someone who can do the hacking and there you have it. Anything can be hacked nowadays.

But then, when they finally get to heaven, all the hot virgin chicks will be banging the buses. The buses will steal their glory and woman.

Not cool man.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   

A "pilot" program for a driverless bus is just too rich.

We'll miss the good ole days:

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse What is the hell made you think of ISIS? Either way it is too soon to use driverless xars.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The thrust to replace all driving jobs with robots ought to have US all up in arms against our elite masters together, yet where is the resolve?

Oh, Trump's tweets and gender studies matter more to everyone especially the "liberals" whose #1 reason to exist is supposed to be about protecting workers from stuff just like this.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
So it (the bus) knew it got into an accident and had to wait... for what, a cop? I'm surprised it didn't just go about it's business as if nothing had happened. Until there are no more human drivers, this is going to happen a lot.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join