It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists may have just cured aging

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Researchers at the University of Exeter and University of Brighton found they could rejuvenate senescent cells, cells that had stopped their natural growth cycle,causing them to start to divide again. The experiment found they not only look younger, but also behave like younger cells.

The research builds on earlier findings that showed ‘splicing factor’ genes switch off as humans age. Scientists found a way to restart the splicing through chemicals.
Source

Scientists have just discovered a way to reverse the effects of aging by restarting the cellular division process in old, worn-out cells and lengthening telomeres. It is believed that this could significantly decrease the various effects and illnesses that come with age. This is really exciting because it's literally the ability to make the body young again. I wonder if this could allow for immortality? I want to hope this becomes available to the public, although it would bring several unique issues to light that makes its public availability unlikely.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

I feel the only way people will be able to "live forever" would be through planetary colonization and need as many people as possible

That would be a crazy family reunion. Maybe on another note people would be given the choice to either reproduce or live a longer lifespan

Disease, war, and accidents will still take care of those who hold on to long
edit on 9-11-2017 by gdkknxnqkc because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   

In the book Brave New World, many people except those in special "reservations" (Dissidents and those who do not conform to the World State) don't age and remained young until they die.

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   

I have already had enough of this FUBAR world.

Just let me die in peace

Immortality? I'll pass, thank you very much.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64
I agree. If one refuses to die, then they will miss out on the most badass journey in the universe! The Journey from the end of one cycle trapped in matter before your energy is bound to matter again at an unknown time and place.

link   

originally posted by: stosh64

Just let me die in peace

Your profile gif fits your reply perfectly

link   

originally posted by: trollz

Researchers at the University of Exeter and University of Brighton found they could rejuvenate senescent cells, cells that had stopped their natural growth cycle,causing them to start to divide again. The experiment found they not only look younger, but also behave like younger cells.

The research builds on earlier findings that showed ‘splicing factor’ genes switch off as humans age. Scientists found a way to restart the splicing through chemicals.
Source

Scientists have just discovered a way to reverse the effects of aging by restarting the cellular division process in old, worn-out cells and lengthening telomeres. It is believed that this could significantly decrease the various effects and illnesses that come with age. This is really exciting because it's literally the ability to make the body young again. I wonder if this could allow for immortality? I want to hope this becomes available to the public, although it would bring several unique issues to light that makes its public availability unlikely.

Over population immediately springs to mind. If this was available to everybody it might be the catalyst our species need to ramp up development of interplanetary travel. Imagine, being able to see what wonders, or horrors we would accomplish. Witnessing with your own eyes mankinds leap into the Solar System and beyond. We gotta stop fighting each other first though.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   
ATS Members, what age would you like to be again? I liked age 35. Max energy and not so naïve.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Just let me die in peace

Your profile gif fits your reply perfectly

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Just let me die in peace

Ummm...sourpuss...

Not me baby...If I could live for thousands of years...I would...

Too many hills yet to climb...besides old age that is...
Damn...I want to see and touch it all...
Hopefully curiosity will be the death of me...and not choking up my last goober into the water glass as I blink my nictitating membranes in befuddlement...

But that's just me...

YouSir

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
ATS Members, what age would you like to be again? I liked age 35. Max energy and not so naïve.

Pre-conception.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
If it works only the Super rich and powerful would obtain it and world war would literally happen overnight .

I really think that it would be kept secret from the public .
edit on 11/9/2017 by Gargoyle91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Me too. The older I get, the more comfortable I feel about dying.

It's strange how time passes real slow when you're young, but as soon as you get into your mid 30's early 40's, a year seems to pass every 6 months.

So, if you have any goals and ambition, get on with it, because before you know it, you'll be pushing up the daisy's.

edit on 9-11-2017 by Cropper because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Pre-conception.

Ummm...no post coitus for you...

Come to think about it...we're all just a product of someone getting fracked...

YouSir

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Pre-conception.

Let's hope you have THE SAME MOTHER again, or you might not get a second chance. Abortion is legal now.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Source

I'd like to be nearly Immortal but I get the feeling you're not supposed to be here for any great length of time.
Part of the learning curve is dying...

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Pre-conception.

Let's hope you have THE SAME MOTHER again, or you might not get a second chance. Abortion is legal now.

In retrospect, I never wanted a 'first' chance.

FFS, PLEASE don't give me a second!

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I am starting to see it the same way. With all that is wrong in this world and with absolutely no justice in it at all; all I can say is thank God life is short.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz As awesome as this is I don't feel like this should be used. We are meant to die, that is life. That is what gives meaning to life. If a being was born knowing that life will go on forever then what will be the outcome? Knowing that we will die drives every animal known to man to strive for better. Death drives

edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Scientists may have opened their big mouth when all they have is more of the same.....
This is not the first time this crap pops up

<<   2  3  4 >>

join