It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marijuana Won Tuesday's Election

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Well, that's what Forbes are claiming, and their arguments look pretty good from what I can see.

www.forbes.com...

New Jersey Governor-Elect Phil Murphy

Phil Murphy, the incoming governor, campaigned on marijuana legalization.

"The criminalization of marijuana has only served to clog our courts and cloud people’s futures, so we will legalize marijuana," he said during his primary night victory speech. "And while there are financial benefits, this is overwhelmingly about doing what is right and just.”

This summer he tweeted, "NJ's marijuana laws cost $143M/yr & come w a 3:1 racial disparity in arrests."

With Murphy replacing vocal cannabis opponent Chris Christie (R) as governor, New Jersey is poised to potentially become the first state to allow legal recreational marijuana sales with an act of its legislature, as opposed to by voters through a ballot measure.

Seeya Christie, won't be sorry to see the back of you and your 'private' beach.

Virginia Governor-Elect

Ralph Northam Ralph Northam, who just got a raise from lieutenant governor to the state's top job, made marijuana decriminalization a centerpiece of his campaign, often putting the issue in stark racial justice terms.

"We need to change sentencing laws that disproportionately hurt people of color. One of the best ways to do this is to decriminalize marijuana," he wrote in a blog post. "African Americans are 2.8 times more likely to be arrested for marijuana possession in Virginia. The Commonwealth spends more than $67 million on marijuana enforcement — money that could be better spent on rehabilitation."

Plenty of good stuff happening in other states as well.

Athens, Ohio, Marijuana

Ordinance Voters in the college town overwhelmingly approved a measure to completely eliminate fines and court costs for possessing and cultivating up to 200 grams of marijuana, a move that advocates believe will significantly disincentivize police from making low-level cannabis arrests. The result was 77 percent to 23 percent.

Philadelphia District Attorney

Lawrence Krasner, the incoming top prosecutor, is a vocal criminal justice reform advocate who has made bold statements about cannabis enforcement.

"One of the things we see in other jurisdictions is that, where marijuana is readily available, there’s a 25 percent reduction in opiate/opioid overdose deaths," he said this year.

Detroit Medical Cannabis Propositions

Voters in Wayne County strongly approved two ballot measures that will allow medical cannabis business to operate in more areas and to stay open longer.

New York Constitutional Convention Proposal

Voters resoundingly rejected a ballot proposition to convene a constitutional convention that some advocates hoped would provide a pathway toward marijuana legalization.

Let's see if Jeff Sessions tries to stick his nose in this issue (if he still has a job), but the signs are looking pretty good for marijuana legalization across a number of states.
edit on 9-11-2017 by bgerbger because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I hope they legalise all drugs soon. If all drugs are legal people wont kill each other so much with tons of drug wars and what not, and drug addicts wont have to steal/kill and pass through shady drug deals to get their drugs.

Even the country will get extra money from all of it. It was the same after the Prohibition, it will be the same now.

Legalising all drugs is the better future.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 05:37 AM
link   
a reply to: bgerbger

Let freedom reign! Great for the economy! Helps people relax! Makes everyone happy in this country! Good tax revenue for states and military spending.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: ZeroFurrbone

Alcohol was made legal for those very same reasons.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I mean, the prohibition created the mafia and the different crime fammilies. Just as the drgs created the cartels. But after the booze was free for everyone, little by little they grew smaller and smaller.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 05:40 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

And it worked quit good ^^ Now people ca legaly posion their liver.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Go ahead legalise it . And continue your decline into third world status .

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: VengefulGhost
Go ahead legalise it . And continue your decline into third world status .

Why do you think that would have an effect? Legalization isn't going to increase its use. It is commonly available to any who want it now. We spend a lot of money combating a non issue, when we could be collecting a lot via taxes.

MJ is not all that harmful when compared to tobacco or alcohol, and most likely has medicinal benefits.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 06:04 AM
link   

I hope they legalise all drugs soon.

Never. Going. To. Happen.
Law Enforcement/Drug War generates far, far too much money with property seizures, fines, prison terms, etc...

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 06:09 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

You mean takes the money from peoples taxes.

And don't forget takes lot of lives, but like who cares from the government.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: VengefulGhost

Quite possibly one of the most illest-thought out comments without obviously any knowledge of the subject at hand.

Sad sir.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 06:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: ZeroFurrbone

And it worked quit good ^^ Now people ca legaly posion their liver.

Not for you to govern or judge.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

I hope they legalise all drugs soon.

Never. Going. To. Happen.
Law Enforcement/Drug War generates far, far too much money with property seizures, fines, prison terms, etc...

The prison industrial complex needs revenue. Corporate prison labor is extremely profitable.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 06:15 AM
link   

I was saying it in a jokingly manner. Thus the ^^ as in when we close our eyes when laughting.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Not to mention, LE can seize your house, car and bank account, just because they think that you may be, possibly, could be, a drug dealer, because you're carrying more than $20 in cash. Oh...and they get to keep the cash too.
I mean damn who's got more than $20 ? That's a sure sign you must be guilty of something.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 06:33 AM
link   
What they gonna do with all those money once they are gone? I betcha they wana get burried with it like the pharaohs.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Athens, Ohio. Home to my Alma mater, Ohio University. I wish laws would’ve been as lax when I was there. I wonder if you can still get some Meigs County Gold there?

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64 Your signature...OMFG! Made me spit out my coffee. Too good.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: ZeroFurrbone
I hope they legalise all drugs soon. If all drugs are legal people wont kill each other so much with tons of drug wars and what not, and drug addicts wont have to steal/kill and pass through shady drug deals to get their drugs.

Just for the record, more people in the US die from drug overdoses than from drug wars/battles. In fact, more Americans die from overdoses of legal and illegal drugs than from homicides and suicides combined. In the 12 month period from March of 2016 to March of this year, 64,000 Americans died from overdoses (HERE) and those numbers are increasing.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely agree that medical marijuana should be legal all across the country. And I would even push for a "Manhattan Project" type of program that exclusively worked to find as many provable cures and treatments from cannabis products as possible. I wouldn't even mind recreational marijuana being legal, either.

But saying that all drugs should be legal includes powerful hallucinogens, date rape drugs, and even that supposed "zombie drug" Scopolamine. And simply legalizing all drugs means nothing if we don't explain what "legalize" means in context. Does that mean that people can grow opium poppies & coca plants freely the same way we can grow legal plants like tomatoes? Can people legally create meth & crack at home the same way we can make cookies (as in, with no regulations whatsoever)? Or will they be regulated like the production of alcohol? Or even regulated like the production of patented prescription drugs, meaning that even if you can recreate the recipe to produce those drugs, you still wouldn't be able to do it legally?

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: bgerbger

I agree it was a decent day for cannabis legalization, but I wouldn't say it won on Tuesday. At this point, until we can make headway on the federal level all gains on the state level just don't have the same spark that they could. State after state is coming around but gaining traction on the federal level remains as tough as ever. In fact, it may be tougher under Trump thanks to his racist attack dog Jeff Sessions.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join