It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you think being transsexual is a mental disorder...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 01:07 AM
link   
i've said it before and i'll say it again.

I think reincarnation has a lot to do with this. I think most of us have lived 100's if not thousands of lives as both sexes.

Some people choose to live mostly female, some choose to live mostly male.

We choose our gender before we are born and our superconsciousness retains many traits that we acquired during our last lives.

Some female dominant consciousnesses choose to be born male and vice versa, these gender roles are chosen to 'add some flavor' to our superconscious.

Each incarnation is a lesson we chose to teach ourselves.

In my opinion transgender people have lived their past lives dominantly as a the other gender and are playing this video game as a different gender this time around. Same with those cat people, lizzard dudes, and aliens and what not...

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I think there are phony or - not necessarily genetically motivated - TS's, and then there are real genetically motivated TS/TVs.

I've met some real ones up close in person and I can say with confidence that these people were born genetically different from the average man as if they were meant to be a girl with even the physical and facial features.

Then there are guys who for whatever reason want to be a TS/TV.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnonymousCitizen

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: intrptr

a reply to: Antipathy17

Kleptomania is also regarded as a mental disorder, but that doesn't mean that I must accept someone stealing from me.

Stealing from someone is hardly the same as consensual sex.

Exactly. And consensual sex is hardly the same as rape. Different disorders, requiring different levels of acceptance.

You compared it to stealing, is that ever consensual?

There are several sexual mental disorders that are associated with behaviors that are not consensual, for example, pedophilia, beastiality, and rapists. I wasn't comparing any particular disorder to Kleptomania.

Came across as a comparison to me:

Kleptomania is also regarded as a mental disorder, but that doesn't mean that I must accept someone stealing from me.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
a reply to: JDmOKI

Terming it as a mental disorder, would say in likely many cases, effectively trying to treat someone for it or try to cure it surely has done more damage over the years, then letting that person become what they feel they are.

Feeling like you're not the right gender is far from normal but I'm not calling for a cure for being trans

Just less pronoun police and actual solutions to problems

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   

TLDR version:

The DSM was updated, and during that update, it redefined the terminology for "transgenderism" and also what aspect of it quantifies as a mental disorder. In the previous version of the DSM, being transgender was considered a result of a mental disorder; now, they only quantify the distress and other symptoms of being transgender as the disorder, not 'just being transgender.'

Basically, if you're transgender, that's not necessarily considered a mental disorder outright--but if being transgender causes you distress and disrupts your mental health or ability to function relatively normally, it is a mental disorder.

Hopefully that sums it up.

edit on 9-11-2017 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Banquo
Does the lgbt crowd support transracial people? Genuine curiosity

Some people do, some don't. I think that there's a higher level of empathy in the LGB crowd, but not all support it. I have a couple of lesbian friends who believe that being transgender is a mental-wiring issue, and I have some other lesbian friends who fully embrace the "Ts" as 'one of their own,' so to speak.

It's like any group of people--you can't generalize what the individuals who comprise that group do or do not think as a whole, because the LBG crowd is a robotic group of people.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
a reply to: Necrobile

Transgender is more complex and is now not absolute in terms of being considered disorder rather than a natural occurrence.

It's always been a natural occurrence, as are many mental illnesses/disorder (meaning that they tend to originate in the brain due to chemical or other imbalances). The only difference now is that the DSM is concerned with the effects of Gender Dysphoria on the person rather than just focusing on what used to be called Gender Identity Disorder.

As someone who has researched many mental disorders because of their effect on friends and family members (Autism, Alzheimer's, Dementia, PTSD, Depression, etc.), I'm not convinced that only focusing on the symptoms of Gender Dysphoria versus the root cause of Gender Dysphoria is a step in the right direction. But I'm certainly not an expert, so we'll have to see how research into the subject progresses over time.

Though, it's not believing, it's knowing, that they are the opposite sex from which they were born as. That should very well be regarded as natural.

No, it's FEELING that they are the opposite sex from which they were born into, even if it's a feeling derived from every cell in their body telling them this. Even though I concede that it is generally a natural feeling, "knowing" is not the correct term, here, as it implies having facts or an understanding that we do not yet have proof of.

The question in this scenario becomes: Is the brain wrong, or is the body? That is a question to which we do not yet have an answer. Look at it like this: If you have a Mustang GT, and you replace the engine with that of a Toyota Camry, do you still have a Mustang GT, or do you now have a Toyota Camry?

I use this analogy in my question because it has been shown that the brain patterns of transgender people often resemble that of the opposite sex, even if they are in the body of the sex into which they were born. So, Mustang, or Camry? Brain, or body?

To me, these are fascinating questions, because as with your comment concerning extra limbs, or women with beards, or pituitary midgets (or is it "little people?"), it's obvious that nature deviates from the norm on occasion, so I wonder what part is wrong (body versus brain), or if non are wrong at all.

But again, we don't "know" the answers, so for now, we just have to deal with feelings.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat
Then there are guys who for whatever reason want to be a TS/TV.

Maybe they just want to feel pretty...

I want to feel pretty

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
How about pedo's and beastiality.

People who feel compelled to talk about pedophilia and bestiality whenever homosexuality or transsexualism is discussed are terrible people.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   

According to AV Romans chapter one God gave men and women over to Homosexuality because the failed to keep God in their knowledge. In other words he gave them over because they don't believe there is a God as well as every other evil act they practice and they accept those who are like them and do like them.

edit on 9-11-2017 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Antipathy17
What are your opinions on homosexuality? I personally think that homosexuality is a disorder but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be acceptable. We have a plethora of acceptable diseases that carry no social stigma. The difference is the severity. At least in my mind. If you want to know my opinion on transsexuals than see my other tread, I can't link on mobile.

Regardless, no ill will meant. Just learning.

How does someone else's homosexuality negatively affect you or your life?

Why does it matter; what are you trying to 'learn?'

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   

If you think being transsexual is a mental disorder...

I think gender identity issues can be rooted in a mental disorder, but not always.

...What are your opinions on homosexuality?

First, just to clarify, they are completely different matters. Homosexuality is subjective and in complete harmony with the human condition, which is all about free will and individuality... I don't see homosexuality as any different than one man being a "leg man" and another being a "breast man" or one woman liking a hairy chest and another woman preferring a smooth chest. It's all subjective and as long as no one's hurting anyone and acting with consenting adults, it's all good.

Gender, on the other hand, is objective. Gender is defined by one's reproductive organs. Nothing more and nothing less.... and although society has long tried to define people by their sexual organs, it doesn't work.

Personally, it seems to me that homosexuality and transgenderism have been inaccurately and unfairly lumped together, when there is really very little in common.

As a society, however, our only concern is to ensure that everyone's rights are protected and defended. And that goes for both "sides" of the issue.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join